458 socom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

458 socom

Alright guys I have a 458 socom goodie bag on the way. I have a 16” radical arms barrel and matched bolt along with a milled upper for the bigger cases should receive it in the next couple of days.

I’m looking for any info on this caliber. Good or bad. Load data. Success stories. Anything is appreciated.

Make sure to choose bullets designed for the .458 Socom, or .45-70......not the .458 winmag.

In other words....match your performance window.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      Make sure to choose bullets designed for the .458 Socom, or .45-70......not the .458 winmag.

In other words....match your performance window.
      Thanks I’ll be using the hornady hollow points or flex tip bullets. I also found a good deal on Winchester ballistic tips factory 2nds for 11$ per 50.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        Alright guys I have a 458 socom goodie bag on the way. I have a 16” radical arms barrel and matched bolt along with a milled upper for the bigger cases should receive it in the next couple of days.

I’m looking for any info on this caliber. Good or bad. Load data. Success stories. Anything is appreciated.
        What did this setup run you?

Comment

Barrel and bcg 179.99 on sale Black Friday but is still on sale today. Miller upper was 80. Plus a standard upper parts kit and carbine gas system.

Comment

http://458socomforums.com

Everything you want to know is here.

Comment

I really like my 458 Socom, bought mine Joe Bob outfitters.
              The ammo is expensive, I may have to reload my own.

Comment

I have been considering a 458 SOCOM. I originally was thinking a 50 Beowulf, but then saw the ballistics of the 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf. The 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf are identical at the muzzle. but by 25 yards, there is a bit of a difference and it just keeps getting greater as the range increases. At 100 yards, there is a very noticeable difference in velocity between the two. That's those two, that start out identical. The 458 SOCOM from what I am seeing, is anothr 200 fps faster at the muzzle with the same 300 grain bullet weight.

But I have not found any 458 SOCOM barrels, only 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf barrels. I am trying to learn as much as possible about each of the three and then where to get barrels. I would really like to find a 458 SOCOM barrel.

Comment

Barrel and bcg 179.99 on sale Black Friday but is still on sale today. Miller upper was 80. Plus a standard upper parts kit and carbine gas system.
                  So who has the barrel on sale, is it Radical Arms?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    So who has the barrel on sale, is it Radical Arms?
                    Sorry it was at primary arms.

Comment

Xcalibur ammo is the cheapest factory ammo I could find for my .458, 300 or 325gr hornady slug shot great, very accurate. I shot it until I bought the tool head for my buddies press and he loads for me now. Now shoot the 325gr hornady ftx and it will touch holes at 100yds with just a 6x. No load development, he did some research and said that was the best bet for accuracy without devloping loads. Its a pig gun so it doesn't have to be same hole. 325gr at 1800fps should take care of just about anything. And went from 2-3$ a bullet to .60 a bullet. COLLECT THE BRASS. It's **** expensive too. Rock river LAR-458 X1, it's a beast for sure.

Comment

Thanks I’ll be using the hornady hollow points or flex tip bullets. I also found a good deal on Winchester ballistic tips factory 2nds for 11$ per 50.

The FTX rounds will work but not sure about the hollow points.

Barnes has a 300 grain TTSX Bullet that was designed specifically for the 458 Socom. I shot a boar with one a couple weeks ago and oooffff it was brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

i have had mine about a month and a half, maybe... i like it!! basically a 45-70 semi auto,,, i did shot a doe a couple weeks ago with it,,, glad it was a head shot!

the hollow point is the same bullet used in the 45-70,, it is devastating ,,,, both the 50 beowulf and 450 bushmaster use handgun bullets, the socom uses rifle bullets,

there is the real difference in how well the three perform on targets
                          Last edited by xman59; 12-05-2017, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Well I final got the socom almost fully put together, all I’m missing is the brake and dust cover. I mounted a vortex strike eagle 1-6x24 on it and got it sighted in today, let me tell you without a brake this thing kicks! I’m running 29 grains of lil gun under a 325 grain hornady FTX at around 1850-1900 FPS. Accuracy wasn’t really great but I wasn’t shooting the best I could. Right now I’m in a tripod waiting for some hogs!

Comment

Well I final got the socom almost fully put together, all I’m missing is the brake and dust cover. I mounted a vortex strike eagle 1-6x24 on it and got it sighted in today, let me tell you without a brake this thing kicks! I’m running 29 grains of lil gun under a 325 grain hornady FTX at around 1850-1900 FPS. Accuracy wasn’t really great but I wasn’t shooting the best I could. Right now I’m in a tripod waiting for some hogs!
                              I have the same barrel and the same problem with what to screw on the end of the barrel. Like you probably found also, there are not many options for the 5/8"-32 thread used on that muzzle. I looked up 5/8"-32 tap and found a couple of them. I am going to order one and experiment with making some different design muzzle breaks and then make a cap for the threads. I have wanted to experiment with different muzzle break designs, now I finally have a good candidate to experiment with.

I am going to try some 300 gr. 350 gr. then some 400 gr. and 405 gr. bullets. I am curious how well it will do with the heavier bullets. The 405 gr. bullets are hard lead alloy bullets. I have not shot any lead bullets in many years. But the lead alloy bullets will keep the pressures down and possibly allow a little higher velocities. I am looking forward to shooting this gun, I have not had a big bore gun in many years, nothing like this thing before.

Comment

Working...
                              X