Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colton View Post
    Pics please
    I havent posted pic on this thread intentionally although others have. The thread was meant to be educational and I think sometimes folks just skip to the pics and dont read the text of the stories. Maybe ill go back and add a few pics though.

Here is that old ten
    Attached Files

Comment

Arrowhead buck
      Attached Files

Comment

I love the stories Steve glad to see you back sir...hope the deer make their way back home and that the upcoming season is a blessed one for you

Comment

Man I sure do get excited when I see this thread pop up. Thanks for the stories and the much more valuable knowledge on how to get it done with pressured deer.

Comment

Traveler 8

For several years there was a giant 8pt that would show up in my santuary every November. Maybe two week into the season i would start getting night time pics of him and never saw him nor had a pic of him in the Summer. He would bounce around THREE of my santuaries and drove me nuts trying to kill him. I had him run in and bust a nice 4 year old ten out of my vanilla corn one day but ran him away while i was at full draw with no shot.

Anyway, he became an obsession like they always do. I knew he was getting old and i really needed to get it done. I had stand set up taht Dad hunted a lot on the back edge of one of the santuaries and he was seeing a bunch of bucks. One evening he was going to hunt somewhere else and suggested that i hunt his stand. I went over and corned it up about 10am. On my way, there were four giant pinoaks right on the other edge of the thicket but not in sight of the stand. There were horn rubbs under all of them.

That evening (Nov 17), i went to Dads stand and saw several deer but the thought of those pinoaks dropping on the edge was burning me up. About 20 minutes before the end of shooting light, i sneaked out of the stand and got set up where I could watch those pinoaks. As soon as i peeked over the brush, i saw deer all under them. A couple of small bucks and some does all of which were watching intently toward the heavy brush line on the far edge of my santuary. Seconds later, horns appeared, It was a huge 9pt on my hit list but he was facing directly to me and i was really wanting either the big 8 or a big 160s ten i had on camera.

I saw more horns behind him and it was An old freak i knew, more horns coming! it was the 60s TEN POINT! I was about to squeeze it off when the next deer cam through. I saw instantly who he was. Now i had all four of my dang hit list deer walking single file toward the pinoaks. For me, the choice was clear and I shot him right in the crease with my 280. Four years of hunting him and he was finally down at 8 plus years old. He wouldnt score as much as the ten but at 152 4/8, he was my second 8 over 150!

A couple months later, i was visiting with a rancher who was telling me he had a huge 8pt on camera every summer that he thought would go high 150s but he always disappeared during deer season. I knew his place was a long way from mine but when he pulled the pics up on his laptop, there was no question. It was the SAME DEER. I checked the distance from his gate to mine with a gps...14.4 miles as the crow flies(or deer walks). He had thousands of pics of the deer during the summer and i had them in the Winter.
            Attached Files

Comment

LUCKY SAM!

My BIL, Sam is one of my best friends and just a lucky son of a gun when it comes to hunting! Not really, he works hard to make it happen but a couple of his best kills came as a direct Godsend. Now Sam hunts with me a lot and we hunts many of the same stands and santuaries. In one particular santuary, I generally hunt one edge and he hunts the other. One year not long ago, I was tagged out and Sam was busy doing something. It was just a perfect evening with a fresh Norther blowing in. I called him and asked if he was hunting the santuary as the wind was finally perfect. He said he might just do that. I remember telling him he needed to get in early.

About 2pm, I was headed to run some errands in Lufkin when i got a txt....15pt down! He had no more than got in his stand when this 6x7 bruiser strolled in! Its hard to see in this pic but he has a fused g2/g3 and two scorable points off the back of his bases! We had never seen this deer before.
              Attached Files

Comment

Heres the avatar buck
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Heres the avatar buck

I forgot. What did he score Steve?

Comment

LUCKY SAM!

My BIL, Sam is one of my best friends and just a lucky son of a gun when it comes to hunting! Not really, he works hard to make it happen but a couple of his best kills came as a direct Godsend. Now Sam hunts with me a lot and we hunts many of the same stands and santuaries. In one particular santuary, I generally hunt one edge and he hunts the other. One year not long ago, I was tagged out and Sam was busy doing something. It was just a perfect evening with a fresh Norther blowing in. I called him and asked if he was hunting the santuary as the wind was finally perfect. He said he might just do that. I remember telling him he needed to get in early.

About 2pm, I was headed to run some errands in Lufkin when i got a txt....15pt down! He had no more than got in his stand when this 6x7 bruiser strolled in! Its hard to see in this pic but he has a fused g2/g3 and two scorable points off the back of his bases! We had never seen this deer before.
                    Sam occasionally works with us. He is a good guy

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      I forgot. What did he score Steve?
                      I forget. 161 or 163 i think. I have a few bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                        Sam occasionally works with us. He is a good guy
                        Yeah he is a first class guy. Ill post another one of his monsters tomorrow.

Comment

Traveler 8

For several years there was a giant 8pt that would show up in my santuary every November. Maybe two week into the season i would start getting night time pics of him and never saw him nor had a pic of him in the Summer. He would bounce around THREE of my santuaries and drove me nuts trying to kill him. I had him run in and bust a nice 4 year old ten out of my vanilla corn one day but ran him away while i was at full draw with no shot.

Anyway, he became an obsession like they always do. I knew he was getting old and i really needed to get it done. I had stand set up taht Dad hunted a lot on the back edge of one of the santuaries and he was seeing a bunch of bucks. One evening he was going to hunt somewhere else and suggested that i hunt his stand. I went over and corned it up about 10am. On my way, there were four giant pinoaks right on the other edge of the thicket but not in sight of the stand. There were horn rubbs under all of them.

That evening (Nov 17), i went to Dads stand and saw several deer but the thought of those pinoaks dropping on the edge was burning me up. About 20 minutes before the end of shooting light, i sneaked out of the stand and got set up where I could watch those pinoaks. As soon as i peeked over the brush, i saw deer all under them. A couple of small bucks and some does all of which were watching intently toward the heavy brush line on the far edge of my santuary. Seconds later, horns appeared, It was a huge 9pt on my hit list but he was facing directly to me and i was really wanting either the big 8 or a big 160s ten i had on camera.

I saw more horns behind him and it was An old freak i knew, more horns coming! it was the 60s TEN POINT! I was about to squeeze it off when the next deer cam through. I saw instantly who he was. Now i had all four of my dang hit list deer walking single file toward the pinoaks. For me, the choice was clear and I shot him right in the crease with my 280. Four years of hunting him and he was finally down at 8 plus years old. He wouldnt score as much as the ten but at 152 4/8, he was my second 8 over 150!

A couple months later, i was visiting with a rancher who was telling me he had a huge 8pt on camera every summer that he thought would go high 150s but he always disappeared during deer season. I knew his place was a long way from mine but when he pulled the pics up on his laptop, there was no question. It was the SAME DEER. I checked the distance from his gate to mine with a gps...14.4 miles as the crow flies(or deer walks). He had thousands of pics of the deer during the summer and i had them in the Winter.

I've always liked this buck and story on how far he traveled....I'm a fan of big ole 8's.

Comment

Traveler 8

We can see why you chose the 8! He's a very impressive deer

Comment

I can't get over how far some of these deer are traveling for safety. That is amazing. Before trail cams it was next to impossible to know for sure which deer were which.

Also, I am having a hard time reconciling how these bucks are staying in groups during the rut. You seem to have many sits where you see MULTIPLE mature deer but they're usually there for the corn and not the does. Do you think any bucks are actually following the does to the sanctuary and then just camp out until hunting pressure eases up?

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                                I love the stories Steve glad to see you back sir...hope the deer make their way back home and that the upcoming season is a blessed one for you

X2 on this thought. Gar guy, this thread is one of the best going. Thank you Sir.
                                Mr Sid

Comment

Working...
                                X