Surf fishing help for Sargent/Surfside area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just moved to Houston and since it looks like I can be at the coast in 1-1.25 hours I’m wanting to start fishing some more.

Any help on a area and what to throw would be awesome. No honey holes by any means just some guidance is all I’m asking for and maybe I’ll stumble into some fish.

Thanks guys

It's fairly simple to catch fish in the surf. You need clean/calm water. Doesn't have to be calm though, just clean. You can download the SwellInfo app on your phone for surf forecasts, and use www.saltwater-recon.com to monitor it live before you drive down. Live shrimp under a popping cork or live croaker Carolina rigged will score you fish no problem. I prefer to go artificial though, topwaters are great, bone One Knockers, Skitterwalks, Super Spooks work great. Silver spoon will get you fish also. I like to use Down South Lures, purple/chartreuse is my favorite but they'll hit just about anything. If you locate bait, shrimp or mullet there will be fish there. Birds and slicks are a good indicator of fish. I like to fish the first sandbar, and cast to the second gut and wade gut. I fish the surf just about every time it's good, mostly Surfside, but sometimes Sargent, and you can tag along and I'll show what I know. I also fish the bay most Friday's too if you ever want to get out and do some wade skinny water fishing.

Comment

Get on 2cool and read all of SharkChum's reports. He has Sargent surf fishing down.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Get on 2cool and read all of SharkChum's reports. He has Sargent surf fishing down.
        Awesome and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          It's fairly simple to catch fish in the surf. You need clean/calm water. Doesn't have to be calm though, just clean. You can download the SwellInfo app on your phone for surf forecasts, and use www.saltwater-recon.com to monitor it live before you drive down. Live shrimp under a popping cork or live croaker Carolina rigged will score you fish no problem. I prefer to go artificial though, topwaters are great, bone One Knockers, Skitterwalks, Super Spooks work great. Silver spoon will get you fish also. I like to use Down South Lures, purple/chartreuse is my favorite but they'll hit just about anything. If you locate bait, shrimp or mullet there will be fish there. Birds and slicks are a good indicator of fish. I like to fish the first sandbar, and cast to the second gut and wade gut. I fish the surf just about every time it's good, mostly Surfside, but sometimes Sargent, and you can tag along and I'll show what I know. I also fish the bay most Friday's too if you ever want to get out and do some wade skinny water fishing.
          Appreciate the info sir and will have to take you up on a trip soon as it would be very appreciated!

Comment

May try for mañana

Conditions look solid unless I’m swinging and missing on my research

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              May try for mañana

Conditions look solid unless I’m swinging and missing on my research

Don't know if you went but this is what it looked like this afternoon.

Comment

Did not unfortunately.

Looks solid though you headed down though correct? How did you do?

Comment

I didn't fish the surf. I fished the bay this morning and took my little girl and wife to the beach this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    +1 on Sharkchum.
                    Learn to read the water and look for the guts, he has posts on that too.
                    I surf fish as often as I can and love just being on the beach. I've caught them in all types of water, it just depends on what you want to catch. Clean water for specks and smacks is pretty much necessary but dirty water will still produce fish like reds and shark. There's always something out there even if its just hardheads. A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Comment

Next month I've got some time to fish weekends, me and a buddy from church go when we can. I'm in the process of buying a house but wife will be gone for the month of August. Can hit ya up if you wanna go with sometime ( I'm no pro though )

Comment

Dangit man I knew I should have hit it yesterday evening!!!!!!!!

Comment

Going to start peaking at cams and see what the surf is like and maybe head out this evening....

Never have fished the surf much much less during the evening so its hard to go drive 75 mins to be clueless but man I sure do want to....

Comment

just left from surfside. had a great time chasing the trout in the early morning. ended up with a little blacktip, more hardhead and gaffotopsail catfish than i can count. another guy hooked onto a shark and stingray. listen to panhandlehunter. Phillip is a great guy and super knowledgeable on surf fishing.

Comment

Working...
                            X