structural question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

structural question

So I cut open my garage ceiling to put in an attic ladder. This is how the joists are set up. Should I be worried about having too much weight up there? I planned on decking an area about the size of 2 sheets of plywood to store camping stuff ect. Could the outside 2x4 on one side be removed and a vertical one be put in from where the old one was attached to the roof joist down to the ceiling joist so that I'll have a large open space to move around up there? Should I brace the center of the joists where they are joined with the metal piece? What are my options?
    Attached Files

If you did not cut the truss you are fine. Frame your opening, the ladder should fit the 24” truss just fine.

Comment

Yeah, don't be cutting on your truss.

Comment

Was the truss designed for a storage load? Looking at its design i would say no. Make certain not to put alot of weight and that it is distributed. Adding strongbacks in the systemnwill also help with load distribution.

Comment

I’m definitely not going to cut the trusses. Just wondering if there was a way to modify them so that I would have more storage space. There is a lot of space up there past the garage area above my bathroom and above the mud room. After climbing up there I might see if there’s a way to deck it and enclose it in for upstairs storage through the back of a hall closet.

Comment

Working...
          X