Any vehicle mechanics on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any vehicle mechanics on here

I am currently driving a 2014 Toyota Tundra and have a vibration in the steering wheel when applying the break. I’ve had this before on a truck and replaced the rotors and the problem went away. Thai time I replaced the rotors, breaks, and put 4 brand new tires on and the problem came back after about a month and a half to two months. Not sure where to go from here without taking it to a shop and paying out the wazoo for something I can do at home. I just don’t know what else to do.

Much help needed. It’s not terrible but it’s driving me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd check u joints and wheel bearings

Comment

Did you break in the brake pads according to the manufacturs suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
        Did you break in the brake pads according to the manufacturs suggestions?

I’ve never broken in brake pads on any truck I’ve ever done and have never had an issue

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          I'd check u joints and wheel bearings

Just had a front end alignment and they didn’t say anything as far as being an issue with slack in u joints or bearing issues.

Comment

The issue will go away with new rotors. Only after time with those rotors will it persist. If it were u joints or bearings it would stay regardless of rotors

Comment

It must have at least 500 thousand miles on it for to do that. Normal

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                The issue will go away with new rotors. Only after time with those rotors will it persist. If it were u joints or bearings it would stay regardless of rotors
                Wheel bearings could allow rotor wobble which could explain it coming back so soon after new rotors are put in.

Comment

Originally posted by cfortner View Post
                  Wheel bearings could allow rotor wobble which could explain it coming back so soon after new rotors are put in.
                  This - it’s easy to check the wheel bearings to check if this is your culprit.

I also had a vibration that was driving me nuts - turned out to be a u-joint.

Comment

I reread what you wrote, earlier I read that you had already changed the rotors on the current truck. I'd change the rotors or have them turned if possible. The surface of the rotary get a wave in it

Comment

If the vibration is only when your braking and your rotors are good I would start looking at the frontend. Jack up the front and start looking for something loose. If you can rock the tire then you need wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                        If the vibration is only when your braking and your rotors are good I would start looking at the frontend. Jack up the front and start looking for something loose. If you can rock the tire then you need wheel bearings.

Wheel and tires are tight. Checked that when I got a front end alignment 3 weeks ago. Was vibrating prior. Will get the rotors resurfaced ASAP and see what happens but I’ll bet the farm it goes away. And if it does, then what is causing them to warp so dang fast? The original rotors went over 100000 miles before I changed them and they got warped driving through high water during Harvey

Comment

I wouldn’t waste time or money resurfacing rotors if that have over 100k on them. They will be thinner and warp faster next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I wouldn’t waste time or money resurfacing rotors if that have over 100k on them. They will be thinner and warp faster next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These are new. Only been on the truck 3 months.

Comment

If the steering wheel is shaking when braking, it's a result of warped rotors. Even though you just did a brake job, you have warped rotors again. I have run into this many times with Ford Super Dutys. The reason you have warped rotors again so soon, could be from driving through water/splashing water on one or both front rotors while they are hot. You could also be over heating the rotors, by using the brakes hard, like I do. If you stand on the brakes hard, enough times and heat the rotors up hot, you can warp the rotors. Cheap rotors or pads can cause the problem. I had a 93 Lightning, that I would warp the rotors every two to three weeks. Actually by two to three weeks it was unbearable to use the breaks, the steering wheel would shake very hard by that point. I worked for Ford at the time, did a lot of brake jobs on that truck, then eventually I was told no more brake jobs. I was hoping Ford would admit their brakes sucked and come up with a cure for them and replace them with some good brakes, but that never happened. I wound up buying some Carbon Metallic performance pads and some rotors from NAPA. Back then we found multiple times, that the parts that NAPA sold were better than what we could get from Ford. We had a customer who was in the shop with his F150 Supercab as for warped rotors as often as I needed new rotors. He was a old guy that owned a HVAC company. We finally made a big difference with his truck by putting NAPA rotors on it. We never saw him again for warped rotors. So I put the Carbon Metallic pads and NAPA rotors on my truck, I went about six to eight months before I warped the rotors again. The brakes on those trucks had all types of problems, warpage and the rear brakes locking up were the two most common things we had with them.

Then when Ford came out with the Super Dutys for 99 year model, it did not take long, before we had a lot of customers complaining of warped rotors. We replaced a lot of rotors on those trucks. I bought a 2002 F350, brake rotor warpage has been my biggest problem with that truck. I can replace the rotors and have warped rotors in a month or two. It ****** me off. I have thought about trying some performance pads for the truck and maybe even see if NAPA has some higher end rotors. The Chinese junk I have bought up to this point has only been good for a couple of months. Pretty much the same for the Ford rotors, I may have gotten three to four months on the Ford rotors before warping them, back when the truck was under warranty, Ford told me after one or two brake jobs, that was it, no more warranty brake jobs.

Other reasons why your rotors may be getting warped so early, is you may have caliper pins sticking in the caliper brackets. A few years ago, it seemed every truck I worked on for a while there, I found at least one caliper bracket that had a seized pin. I found O'Reilly's often had them in stock, if not they would have them to me the same day. If for any reason your calipers are dragging and not backing off, when you release the brakes. It will cause the brakes to get hot and can warp the rotor or rotors.

I have found that rotors with more metal or better quality metal are less likely to warp, then some high performance pads seem to either pull heat out of the rotors or not build up the heat as much. When it comes to friction material, there are many different types, some of the high performance stuff, you have to get very hot, before they work much at all, but then others will put you through the windshield when cold. So you have to be careful with performance friction pads. But most likely they don't make any of the really serious friction pads for trucks. I have used ceramic pads on may cars in recent years, you have to seat them in, but once they are seated in, they are great.

One last thing, that I have been told will warp rotors, is how the wheels are torqued and what they are torqued to. If the are torqued wrong, it can warp the rotors. The fact you had your tires replaced around the time of the brake job, someone may have gotten a bit carried away with tightening you lug nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X