X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Ring Height?

I have a Scope Ring Height question:

Rifle - Remington 5R 308 w/ 20" barrel
    Scope - Vortex 4.5-27x56 Razor (34mm tube)
    Scope Base - Nightforce one-piece 20MOA
    Chassis - MDT ESS (no rail)

Im going to go with the MDT rings once they start shipping again. The question is, what height do I need? 1" or 1.25"?

Appreciate the help guys.

Current setup: swapping out the handguard, rings, and scope.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Maddox; 01-04-2018, 05:20 PM.

I'm bored so I'll make stuff up

A 56 mm obj will clear .82's on a 0moa (30mm tube) by a few sheets of paper. A 34mm puts you at .90 as an abstract 'ring height'. 20moa over 10" is gonna take back up .06 plus whatever your chassis is eating up, .083 with a 4 inch sunshade. So by my convoluted thinking with lows youd clear barrel by 2 hundredths or so, won't with a shade. 1's .20 and .177. 1.25's .45 and .427. +- some hundredths

Disclaimer: I'm dyslexic and failed out of college but there ya go
    Last edited by TexMax; 01-04-2018, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I’d go with the mediums (1”) to be safe. It won’t be sitting proud with them. What TexMax said is correct, I think, but I’m dyslexic as well and my brain was hurting after reading all those numbers. Your barrel contour and shank length will effect those numbers also. So, that makes calculating it even more complicated. Calling the ring maker can help you figure it out as they will have data for many common scopes and common barrel contours. Here’s a calculator that you can do if you’re going to try and squeeze it into a set of lows: http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

If you can afford it, buy a set of lows AND a set of mediums and just return the set that you don’t use. You’re only out the extra money briefly.

Since you’re looking at premium rings, I’d urge you to check out the M10 rings from Ted over at American Rifle Company (ARC). They are simply amazing! They’re not ultralight but they’re bomb proof and built the way scope rings always SHOULD have been designed! NO reticle movement as I torqued the ring screws. It’s a unique system and unless I need ultralight rings for a rifle, or inexpensive one, I’m sticking with the ARC M10 from here on out - I’m that impressed with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Id go 1.25 just to be safe especially if you are planning on using a shade. Since you have a chassis comb height is no issue.

Comment

I currently have the 1.25" on order, but they will not be available till the end of March, so I have some time to make sure they are the correct ones.

Comment

Working...
          X