No announcement yet.

shooting does with fawns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta get some mouths out & if archery season is all ya got...I agree with the idea of faded spots meaning that they are ready to be on their own. Most of the time they come in a herd with several does and there is no telling who belongs with who anyway, all of the yearlings come trotting in before the moms. Chootem

Comment

I thought I could, and even got to full draw on a doe with a fawn, but couldn't pull the trigger. Call me a weenie.

No problem with other people doin it though.

Comment

I had a doe with two fawns on opening day last year and couldn't do it. Both of the fawns had spots and I really enjoyed watching them play.

Comment

Never have, always took out old barren does.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            Only time I don't shoot is when I see a doe with twins. I just think she is more likely to do the same thing next year so she gets a pass for being a productive animal in the herd. Single fawn, no problem taking her.
            X2...

Comment

Shoot does with fawns...???
              I prefer to shoot does with arrows or bullets...I know I know, I'll go back to my corner now.

Comment

Fawns in my area are already "coming to the table" and eating corn, so they'll do just fine w/o Momma. I won't shoot the one with triplets since she is already drawn down a good bit, but I'll take a doe with a single fawn if offered the shot.

Comment

Fawns can survive independent of the mother in 6-8 weeks. They will be fine.

Also, no problem shooting a doe with twins if trying to thin population. Most doe wil have a single fawn their first cycle, then twins every year until they are barren (provided there is adequate nutrition). If trying to control population, taking out mature doe who are more likely to have twins makes sense.

I still live by the adage, "the best kind of doe to shoot is the one that stands still."

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                    I shoot the first one that stands still long enough fawns or not. The purpose of taking does as a management practice is to reduce the herd numbers. Being choosey does not necessarily meet that goal. Especially if you have bow season only to take care of the does. Opening morning I wait until 730 or 8 when the bucks have left and then, pin on hair, arrow in the air.
                    You and I are a lot alike

Comment

Working...
                    X