• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beto harvested the votes from liberals and snowflakes
    Cruz killed Beto’s day

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Coming from a generation that can't write in cursive or tell time on an analog clock, adding "Harverst" to include hunting/killing deer makes sense.

If you don't spend most of your time on the internet, it can be hard to keep up with the evolving lingo of the digital age. Luckily, the editors at Merriam-Webster have done the hard work of keeping track of the most important new terms to know: The American institution has added over 840 new words to its dictionary, many of which didn't exist a couple of decades ago.

Readers fluent in internet-speak will be familiar with many of the entries on the list, and there are also plenty of new words that are specific to the tech world. Not every word that's new to the dictionary is necessarily new to language; Merriam-Webster now includes some culinary terms that have been around for a while, and the new list also features abbreviations of common words. Check out a sample of the new entries below.

1. BOUGIE (ADJ.)
      Short for bourgeois, this term means "Marked by a concern for wealth, possessions, and respectability."

2. TL;DR (ABBREV.)
      "Too long; didn't read—used to say that something would require too much time to read."

3. BINGEABLE (ADJ.)
      "Having multiple episodes or parts that can be watched in rapid succession."

4. PREDICTIVE (ADJ.)
      As in predictive text: "Of, relating to, or usable or valuable for prediction."

5. HAPTICS (N.)
      "The use of electronically or mechanically generated movement that a user experiences through the sense of touch as part of an interface (such as on a gaming console or smartphone)."

6. FORCE QUIT (V.)
      "To force (an unresponsive computer program) to shut down (as by using a series of preset keystrokes)."

7. AIRPLANE MODE (N.)
      "An operating mode for an electronic device (such as a mobile phone) in which the device does not connect to wireless networks and cannot send or receive communications (such as calls or text messages) or access the Internet but remains usable for other functions."

8. INSTAGRAM (V.)
      "To post (a picture) to the Instagram photo-sharing service."

9. BIOHACKING (N.)
      "Biological experimentation (as by gene editing or the use of drugs or implants) done to improve the qualities or capabilities of living organisms especially by individuals and groups outside of a traditional medical or scientific research environment."

10. FINTECH (N.)
      "Products and companies that employ newly developed digital and online technologies in the banking and financial services industries."

11. MARG (N.)
      A margarita. According to Merriam-Webster, the first known usage occurred in 1990.

12. FAVE (N.)
      Favorite. This word is older than it looks: It dates back to 1938. ("Lester Harding, heavy fave here, clicks with pop songs," was the first usage, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.)

13. ADORBS (ADJ.)
      "Extremely charming or appealing : adorable."

14. RANDO (N.)
      According to Merriam-Webster, this "often disparaging" slang means "A random person: a person who is not known or recognizable or whose appearance (as in a conversation or narrative) seems unprompted or unwelcome."

15. GUAC (N.)
      Guacamole.

16. IFTAR (N.)
      "A meal taken by Muslims at sundown to break the daily fast during Ramadan."

17. GOCHUJANG (N.)
      A spicy paste used in Korean cuisine that is made from red chili peppers, glutinous rice, and fermented soybeans.

18. MISE EN PLACE (N.)
      "A culinary process in which ingredients are prepared and organized (as in a restaurant kitchen) before cooking."

19. HOPHEAD (N.)
      Originally a slang word for a drug addict dating back to 1883, this word these days means "A beer enthusiast."

20. ZOODLE (N.)
      "A long, thin strip of zucchini that resembles a string or narrow ribbon of pasta."

21. HANGRY (ADJ.)
      "Irritable or angry because of hunger." People have been hangry (or at least using the word) since 1956.

22. MOCKTAIL (N.)
      "A usually iced drink made with any of various ingredients (such as juice, herbs, and soda water) but without alcohol: a nonalcoholic cocktail."

23. LATINX (ADJ.)
      "Of, relating to, or marked by Latin American heritage—used as a gender-neutral alternative to Latino or Latina."

24. GENERATION Z (N.)
      The generation of people born in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

25. TENT CITY (N.)
      "A collection of many tents set up in an area to provide usually temporary shelter (as for displaced or homeless people)."

Log off

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        I’ve never used the term harvesting in association with any type of hunting. I’ve always figured guys use that term to be more sophisticated than they really are, or to try not to offend any snowflakes.

Skinny
        x2
        Or they are a snowflake

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
            Sitting in a box for two hours at a time staring at a feeder and seeing probably 10 different deer and selecting the prefect one with the perfect shot could be considered harvesting.
            Working your arse off sneaking back to the furthermost reaches of public land and sitting 20 foot up in a tree for 12 straight hours and maybe seeing what you thought was a doe could be considered hunting.
            I've done both and love each one for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
            This is how I see it and I don't consider it a bad thing. I don't like to use the term "harvest" b/c as others have said that word it typically reserved for plant crops...maybe the word should be killing or slaughtering. Even with the added challenge of archery and having to get close to the animals with today's world of feeders, enclosed blinds, scent controlling clothes & gadgets and ultra-modern archery equipment it gets to be less and less of a challenge to get meat on the ground. That said, the game totally changes when you are after 1 specific animal...when you put the time in to get to know that animals habits, patterns through trail cams & scouting and have to try to anticipate that particular animal's activities I think that is where it crosses into hunting and not killing.

Comment

Originally posted by bownutone View Post
              To me, all high fence hunting is not created equal.
              You got that right. I hunt high fence, it's not as easy as some make it out to be. Still fighting nocturnal deer and green. A month and a half into season and only one management buck killed. Our deer are just as spooky as low fence deer, still have to hunt the wind, be quiet, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
                Harvesting is what Yankees call hunting/killing.
                Actually Aldo Leopold used the term harvest in “A Sand County Almanac” back in the 40's so it's not a new term. I guess he could be considered a yankee because he ended his days in WI lol.

I would rather have someone ask me if I harvested a deer instead of caught one I know that.

Comment

Doesn't matter, senseless conversation. It can be easy or hard hunting on both high fenced places and low fence.

Comment

Harvest is a sissy term meant to appease the anti's. Ive never said it bc it doesn't sound right. I've KILLED tons of trophy whitetails, a few exotics, ducks, doves, etc. etc.

Comment

The beans in my chili were harvested. I kill deer.

I think harvest was started because it sounds better to sensitive ears. And there are a lot of people on the fence about hunting. Ask them if they want to kill a deer or slaughter a pig doesn't sound as good as lets try to harvest a buck...which implies it's being used properly and not wasted. Sure it's all stupid but the world is stupid now.

Comment

organic free range hand harvested

Comment

I have never harvested any animal...I killed all of them.
                          Adios,
                          gary

Comment

Low fence- hunting

High fence- harvesting

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              Wow

Comment

To me hunting is like what we do in East Texas where the deer numbers are lower and pressure is higher. You have to pull out some tricks and do your homework to consistently kill good deer. On the other hand our place in S. TX is the opposite. During Nov the bucks frequent corn feeders (even the mature bucks) so its kinda like shopping. Sit in a tripod over a corned sendero and see what comes out. That to me is more of a harvesting as you can count on deer showing up every time and its just waiting for the right one to show.

Comment

Working...
                                X