Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap bourbon aging

Originally posted by locknload View Post
    if it comes out to anything like Garrisons Bros, I'll bring pasteles...

You can make pasteles? Real ones, not the yucca ones they serve to tourist in Old San Juan? Bring some over and I will serve you Garrison and better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Monkey Shoulder is pretty darn good as is. If you try aging it, keep us posted, but I doubt a matter of months would make much difference. A year or two maybe.

Comment

still interested in how this turns out... still no sampling?

Comment

I sampled mine, it's been in the barrel for about 5 weeks, still not good.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I sampled mine, it's been in the barrel for about 5 weeks, still not good.
            You'll need more samples.....

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              still interested in how this turns out... still no sampling?

I keep forgetting about it which was my goal when I moved it to a room we seldom use. The. This thread keeps popping up and making me want to taste. Trying to hold out for cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                If this comes out good, the next batch will be with Four Roses small batch or something on that level.
                I love Four Roses as is - no additional barrel aging needed for my palate. But - I am old and my taste buds are probably shot ......

Comment

Different twist to this idea: I buy $2 cigars, put them in a glass humidor with a shot glass full of Makers Mark and after the shot glass is empty ..... add more bourbon and smoke a cheap / expensive tasting cigar!!!

You can use any type bourbon, scotch or whatever your preference. Works great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    SO.......... You put a $15 dollar bottle of whiskey in a $50 dollar barrel and get out a $40 whiskey???? Guessing the barrel has diminishing returns on reuse? Still kind of a cool idea. MY thought would be putting in a well-aged whiskey to start and see what it makes.
                    Sounds like deer hunting.

Comment

I have one of these little barrels.

First batch was a giant old fashioned. Turned out ok, but I wouldn't do it again.

When that was gone I refilled with Bulleit rye. Left it a few months and that turned out amazing. I didn't rinse after the old fashioned batch. Came out dark and rich, really good stuff.

Didn't know what to do next and didn't want to leave it empty, so I filled it with Everclear, just to see what happens. It's been sitting a few weeks, and to be honest I'm a little afraid of it.

Comment

Well I really wanted to leave this until the holidays but I needed to move the barrel today and found that it had a slow leak. So this experiment is done for now.
                        The glass on the right is the original benchmark for color and taste comparison. I’m happy to say there is indeed a noticeable taste difference and I’m enjoying this whiskey neat whereas I probably would have only used the original for mixed cocktails or at least on the rocks.
                        May try this again sometime with a better starting bourbon. Cheers 🥃

Comment

I did this with a bottle of Ron zacapa rum. Put it in and left it at my dads house and then deployed to Iraq for 1 year. Now, my old man swears he didn’t touch it, but the thing was dry as a bone by the time I got back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                            I did this with a bottle of Ron zacapa rum. Put it in and left it at my dads house and then deployed to Iraq for 1 year. Now, my old man swears he didn’t touch it, but the thing was dry as a bone by the time I got back.
                            They leak and evaporate. 1 year is a long time in one of these barrels. But he still could have drank it! Zacapa 23 Solera is outstanding!

Comment

Might be a good excuse to try my hand at a little cooperage

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                                You'll need more samples.....
                                This. ^^. More consecutive samples will make it better than more aging....

Comment

Working...
                                X