water line for wildlife trough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water line for wildlife trough?

I have a small place that I hunt that I'd like to put a wildlife water trough on. It has a water line on it that I could hook up to, the only problem is that where I want to put the trough is about 1200' away from the existing water line (but it's a downhill run). Is this doable? What could I use for the water line?

You could get a couple of totes. One for the trough & one to haul water in. Out west a lot of ranchers run the black poly pipe to troughs. Don't know the cost,but been on a couple of place where the rancher just laid the pip on the ground & hooked it up to a trough.

Comment

Run a poly line to it. Might even be able to find some used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will poly pipe freeze? What size should I get? Is there a certain poly pipe that is tougher than most? There are cows out there, so I don't want them to step on it and break it. I was thinking about running it along and underneath the fence so it would be harder to step on.

Comment

Last week I had my first experience with poly pipe. I laid down 300 feet of it myself & learned a few things. I paid around $65 for the 300 foot role that's 3/4ths inch thick. I installed it by myself which was a mistake because I got several kinks in it when I unrolled it that I had to cut out. I made sure not to use any plastic adapters. Try to leave your poly pipe in the sun before installing it because the heat will soften the pipe. I was told since I have 3/4th inch thick it won't be too much of a pain to unroll properly. I can't imagine what it'd be like to unroll thicker poly by myself. I asked the feed store if raccoons will chew on the poly pipe like they had my water hose. They said they can but burying it will prevent that from happening. There are many youtube instructional videos that you may want to check out.
          Last edited by techzan; 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

If your wanting to run on top of ground, no matter what you use it will freeze. Just shut the water off when it gets cold and turn back on when it warms up. I would use pvc everyday of that poly crap.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
              If your wanting to run on top of ground, no matter what you use it will freeze. Just shut the water off when it gets cold and turn back on when it warms up. I would use pvc everyday of that poly crap.
              Why is pvc better than poly?

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
                Why is pvc better than poly?

Comment

You can rent a walk behind trencher pretty cheap. Find one of the contractor centers like Sunbelt that is closed on Saturday. Pick up after 1:00 on Friday due back on Monday by 9:00 one day rental charge

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                    I’m going to have to run a water line and I’ve decided to go with PVC, just for the simple fact I feel the plumbing of it is easier in the installation. I’d also advise to bury it if you can. I’m going to bury mine, not for freezing issues, but so the cows don’t trample it.

Comment

I looked at both types. Burying was out of the question where I am. Too many big rocks. Went with totes for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        I looked at both types. Burying was out of the question where I am. Too many big rocks. Went with totes for now.
                        I thought about just running it above ground, and still may. The odds of a cow catching a tough hose just right to cut it are slim, but could happen. I also worried about stuff chewing on it. I may look into some type of braided hose.

Sure be a lot less involved above ground. I’m also only going 50.’ So a lot less than the OP.
                        Last edited by TheHammer; 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Poly is the bomb. We have a bunch with PVC and they're always giving us hell. Breaking or connection problems. The poly is much more durable and alot less connections if you're using a bunch.

Comment

Be sure to unroll it and let the sun heat it up good then stretch it out
                            If you need to splice it put the two ends in your tailpipe ( or heat gun if you have a power source or dip in hot water) to heat up and make the fittings go in easier, same with any 90’s , 45’s or pvc couplers ( don’t melt it just warm it up)

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              Poly is the bomb. We have a bunch with PVC and they're always giving us hell. Breaking or connection problems. The poly is much more durable and alot less connections if you're using a bunch.

Yep on a long run not sure why anyone would recommend pvc over poly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X