To cut or not to cut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To cut or not to cut...

I've got a Browning A-bolt stainless/synthetic in 300WM that I had threaded for my Silencerco Omega. Obviously, it is ridiculously long with the full length barrel, 9/16-24 adapter, and suppressor...OK for the range, and maybe the blind, but not practical for anything else.

What would I lose performance-wise by having the barrel cut down 5-6 inches to accommodate? The other reason I like the idea of cutting it down is I can get the threads I want and not have to use the adapter.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Chris

Leave it long. If it shoots well as is. Muzzle end heavy points better for me.

BP.

Comment

I'm assuming you have a 24" barrel now and you want to cut it down to 18" or 19"? My guess is you would loose 200 to 300 feet per second of muzzle velocity.

Comment

On a magnum caliber typical velocity loss is 40-50fps per inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Here's an article where they cut a 300WM an inch at a time checking velocity between cuts:
          https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/300...6-300-win-mag/

Comment

Personally, I like short barrel suppressed rifles. I don't have any magnums cut down, but I have a 16" 308 and 16" 45/70. With a 8" can I have a normal rifle length.

I saw a video a couple years ago showing that you usually gain about 2% of velocity back with a suppressor on. I'm not sure that carries across all calibers. I would think the diameter the baffles are drilled out and volume of suppressor would come into play.

Comment

If you want a short barrel get a .308, you will end up with about the same performance.

Comment

What is the current barrel length?

Only you can answer your question. It will all depend on what you are going to do with the rifle? If you are interested in long range shooting or hunting, I wouldn't go much shorter than 22" with a 300wm. If you're just planning to hunt with it out to, say, 300-400yds I think it really doesn't matter much - chop it to the length you want and you'll still have enough velocity todo what you need to do. However, I'd check with SiCo and see what their policy is on barrel length for 300wm. Also, cutting a 300wm super short kinda defeats the purpose of tolerating the recoil and shooting a magnum. I suspect double bogey is correct that you may end up so close to a shorter .308 that it's senseless to be shooting a magnum and wasting all the powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all of the information, thoughts, opinions, etc.

I'm not a super long range shooter, 3-400 yards max probably with this rifle.

SiCo says I can cut it to 20" and still use it with the can. I need to measure the current barrel, but assume it is a 26 or 28", so it looks like I should be able to get it to a much more manageable length.

Has anybody shortened a 300WM and suppressed it? Wondering about sound and recoil levels. If shortening the barrel negates the benefits of the suppressor then it's probably not worth cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post

SiCo says I can cut it to 20" and still use it with the can. I need to measure the current barrel, but assume it is a 26 or 28", so it looks like I should be able to get it to a much more manageable length.

Has anybody shortened a 300WM and suppressed it? Wondering about sound and recoil levels. If shortening the barrel negates the benefits of the suppressor then it's probably not worth cutting it.

If it's 26" or 28", then that IS long. You're definitely benefitting from the extra velocity but I don't like that long a barrel on hunting rifles. My 300wm has a 24" barrel that I shoot suppressed but it's on the ragged edge of what I like to carry. When/if I rebarrel it, I'm going to 22". That's my preferred barrel length - long enough to retain good velocity but short enough for me to add my suppressor and not feel like I'm dragging a telephone pole through the brush or the back country. But I like to be able to shoot much further than 300-400.

You're not going to sacrifice sound or recoil suppression by going shorter. Don't worry about that. At your stated range, I'd get it cut and threaded at a finished length of 20" and be done with it. You'll have everything you need for your stated uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post

I cut a TC Encore 300WM barrel from 28 to 24 then ran a YHM Phantom suppressor on it. Shot great, very accurate and didn't need hearing protection. I practiced out to 700yds preparing for an elk hunt and felt very good to that distance.

Comment

Great info, thanks guys. Going to measure the barrel tonight, but think I will end up cutting it down. May try to shoot it as is with the suppressor so I can compare after cutting. Will report back.

Comment

Measured the barrel last night, it is 26"...probably gonna cut it.

Comment

Ordered a box of these today, figured I would at least shoot it first before chopping it.

Comment

Wow, is that the price per box?😳

Comment

Working...
                              X