Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
TCRČ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO
Default Have you ever ate something that...

...brought back memories of times gone by?

Back when I was a teen oftentimes I was found at my best friends grandparents house. They were like my own grandparents..... Paw Buck could cook a mean breakfast.....but it was Meemaw Mary's chicken-n-dumplins that I looked forward to the most. She made the best there was....even better than my moms . As time went on and we got older, the visits grew fewer and fewer (of which I am ashamed...but at the time I thought I had better things to do) and soon it had been years since I seen their faces. Paw Buck has since passed on and I often think of his fried eggs when I am having some for breakfast. Meemaw Mary is still living but Alzheimer's has taken its toll and she doesn't remember much. It has been a long long time since I had some of her chicken-n-dumplins....even though I have eaten my fair share of em since that last bowl at her house, I haven't found any that come remotely close to Meemaws......that is until this past Saturday. My sister-n-law cooked chicken-n-dumplins and invited us over. My first bite took me back to those winter evenings as David (my friend) and I sat at Paw Bucks table and ate our weight in Meemaws dumplins. I can't say my SIL's were as good but they were close enough to bring back some very fond memories of days gone by.

How I miss those days...
TCRČ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
elkbowhunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Alaska and Montana

Milk gravy my mom used to make with crisp fried chicken and fresh green beans with bacon grease
elkbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My Dad fixed rib eye steaks on an electric grill in the house. I was 8 to 14 years old. Grilled outside, I have learned over the years, is lots better. He couldn't boil water but we ate them and thought they were great. Bought me an electric grill a few years ago just for the memories. He died in 1987 when I was 32, now I'm 59 and miss him every day.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

My dad served in Vietnam. According to him, they ate lots of SOS (biscuits and gravy). My sister and I loved it and he would always eat something else. Well my kids love it also and we eat the heck out of it. Every time we do, I think of Dad. He died when I was 12.

Brian
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Jhill313
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Anywhere. Especially if bigfoot has been spotted in the area.

One time I had glue on my hands and it got on my beer can and then in my mouth and it reminded me of kindergarten.
Jhill313 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

peanuts in your coke bottle...Nana's hush puppies.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
cdobbka08
Eight Point

Hunt In: hardin county and any where i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
peanuts in your coke bottle...Nana's hush puppies.
A guy that took me under his wing when I was 12 showed me the peanuts and coke only way I really like coke anymore I'm 23 now he's prob 50 something now still go visit him with a coke and some peanuts or some ibc rootbeer or ibc creamsoda
cdobbka08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill313 View Post
One time I had glue on my hands and it got on my beer can and then in my mouth and it reminded me of kindergarten.

Maybe all that glue you ate as a kid has something to do with all the bigfoot sightings
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

Grandma's fried rabbit, biscuits, and gravy.
MIL's wilted spinach.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Grandpas liver sausage with fried eggs and toast. Been at least twenty five years now. I'm trying to get the recipe forthe sausage from one of my cousins that learned how to make it.
I thought about that two weekends ago while making some sausage.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
elkbowhunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Alaska and Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Maybe all that glue you ate as a kid has something to do with all the bigfoot sightings
whoa!!
Attached Images

elkbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill313 View Post
LMAO OMG that was hilarious
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Fried Bologna
Peanuts in Coke
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
dgh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison And Walker County

RC and Penuts or Dr pepper and Penuts
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
dgh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison And Walker County

The old tin can that lonestar came in. Maybe Pearl in a tin can. Just a different taste. Won't say how old I was when doing the tasting.
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
chief262
Ten Point

Hunt In: Evant- In Camp

Pinto beans with chili powder cooking on a wood heater. Macaroni, ground meat and stewed tomatoes served over fresh bread. Apple Crisp made by the lunch room ladies at school.
chief262 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #17
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

For the BIG holidays my sister makes banana pudding darn close to my Moms!! Every time I eat it I think of Mom...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
Bro. Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill country

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkbowhunter View Post
Milk gravy my mom used to make with crisp fried chicken and fresh green beans with bacon grease
Dude stop
Bro. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
TheGreyGhost
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Stephens, Africa

My grandmother used to cook biscuts and gravy, fried bologna and smothered French fries with onons. The potatoes were usually new potatoes. At least once a year I cook that meal. Reminds me of my grandparents
TheGreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #21
Big Sendero
Six Point

Hunt In: Rains County

Snow ice cream does it for me. Reminds me of winter time back in the 70's when I was a kid. Dad, Mom, me and my two brothers sitting by the fireplace eating snow ice cream after play outside all day.
Big Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Grandmothers can make anything taste good.

My grandmother on my mother's side would make a spaghetti out of a can, from something called Showboat Spaghetti she bought at Gibson's Discount Center in Temple. She added ground meat and bacon grease, and I could eat my weight in that stuff.

My grandmother on my dad's side made German hotcakes for breakfast. They were greasy, and sometimes they were crispy. Lord those things are good. Fortunately for me my mom learned how to cook them, and will still make them for me from time to time. They are a relative of pancakes, but are thin, and as wide as the skillet.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #23
JP Weld
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas TX

Fried Chicken with grease gravy, corn, mashed tators, and pickled cucumbers! Grandma was the best!
JP Weld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
dac6933
Pope & Young

Ground meat and brown gravy over mashed potatoes. Served in elementary school weekly with hot rolls. It was as good as it gets.
dac6933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #25
deerslayer64d
Ten Point

My dad would fix us three kids Breakfast every morning & 90% of the time it included spam of some sort . I haven't had spam for over 20 yrs but I think of dad every time I see it at the store ! Love & miss ya dad !!
deerslayer64d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
GatorBait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere my wife lets me.

Tomatoe gravy and homemade biscuits. My dad's aunt used to make those when we would spend the summer in monroe,LA on the sweet potatoe plantation.
GatorBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #27
TexasBob
Pope & Young

My grandmother made the best milk gravy for biscuits. So thick, it wouldn't run on your plate. My wife has mastered it now and makes it in grandma's cast iron skillet. Always brings a smile to my face and happy memories. It is a must for me on special occasions.
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #28
hollywood40
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette and Mason and Lee counties

Grandma's molasses cookies...........Have her recipe but they never are the same. :-(
hollywood40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

Banana pudding. Reminds me of my grandma. Stewed tomatoes & cabbage- reminds me of my great grandma. Homemade Tea (sugar) cookies- reminds me of my great aunt Lillian
perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

My grandfather's buttermilk and cornbread.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #31
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I miss my grandma's Crawfish Gumbo from South Louisiana. She and my grandfather have been gone for a while now, but every time my Aunt cooks some Gumbo, I remember the times I would try to hurt myself eating at her table.
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #32
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

"Sweet rice" as my (paternal) Grannie called it. I think the rice was boiled in milk and then she added sugar and cinnamon.

My other (maternal) Grannie always made me potato soup when I'd stay at her house because I was too drunk to go to home. She knew I was hung over and her potato soup was one of the best cures.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post
My dad served in Vietnam. According to him, they ate lots of SOS (biscuits and gravy). My sister and I loved it and he would always eat something else. Well my kids love it also and we eat the heck out of it. Every time we do, I think of Dad. He died when I was 12.

Brian
My mom would make us SOS when I was in elementary school (70s) and her version was on toast...loved that stuff...and her fried taters...they got divorced when I was in the 5th grade but remember those were my favorites and haven't had her fried taters and SOS since...
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Great thread!
My momma made the best squirrel head dumplings. My wife has practiced making 'em for years, but she uses chicken... they ain't bad, but they're not the same...

Momma also made fabulous homemade buttermilk biscuits... My favorite meal of all time is still chicken-fried deer steak, sawmill gravy, mashed potatoes, and those homemade biscuits... In fact, that's what we had for Christmas dinner this year after several years straight of me doing a prime rib roast... think I enjoyed the deer steak 'n gravy more...

For dessert, momma made a bannana puddin' that had this meringue on top she baked in the oven... none of my family has been able to duplicate that since mom's been gone (2000).
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #35
TCRČ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

Reading over some of my past threads, came across this one and thought I'd bring it back to life.

Smoked venison sausage brings me back to the days of dad and moms camp on the Neches River. Had many a cold boat rides down that river where we hunted.
TCRČ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #36
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

My mother grew up in a house (Richmond, VA) where a full-time cook created all their meals so she never really learned how. Consequently my sisters and I grew up eating mostly bland casseroles. One of the things I loved about visiting my Dad's family in east Texas back in the 1960's was the food. My grandfather lived in Grapeland and had a big garden - I have vivid memories of my 3 aunts sitting on the porch gossiping and snapping beans. Beautiful tomatoes the likes of which I've never tasted since. I never got biscuits from scratch, gravy or homemade fried chicken back at home - this city boy ate like a pig whenever I was there! Papa put pepper sauce on everything. Not Tabasco but the green peppers in the clear bottle with the red cap. Always reminds me of him...

I have not eaten a Vienna sausage in decades but when I see them on the shelf I think of fishing trips with my dad when I was very young. His idea of lunch was a can of those, some Saltines and an apple.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #37
Gclyde28
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Weld View Post
Fried Chicken with grease gravy, corn, mashed tators, and pickled cucumbers! Grandma was the best!

Well that sure is a fancy way to type out pickles.
Gclyde28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #38
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa By God Texas

My wife will sometimes put in her crockpot a mess of fresh purple hull peas, some cut up new potatoes and a hunk of fatback. Then make cast iron skillet sweet cornbread. She heard me say once how my great grandmother would make that very meal (except use a pressure cooker instead of a crockpot) for my great grandpa, my cousin, and myself and then we would spend hours upon hours eating and playing "42"......those were awesome times and would give just about anything to go back to that dinner table, break out those bones and visit with Grandma and Grandpa Sjolander just one more time
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #39
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Here a while back, I introduced my granddaughter to sugar sammiches. She was asking me what kinds of snacks and things I ate when I was a kid. These were something my mother had when she was a girl during the depression. Just a slice of bread with butter and sugar. Fold it up and down it goes. Oh the memories it brought back.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #40
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde28 View Post
Well that sure is a fancy way to type out pickles.
My MIL used to make pickled cucumbers and onions. She would slice them up in a bowl, pour vinegar over them and some black pepper. Let them sit in the fridge over night. Man those things were good.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #41
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Here a while back, I introduced my granddaughter to sugar sammiches. She was asking me what kinds of snacks and things I ate when I was a kid. These were something my mother had when she was a girl during the depression. Just a slice of bread with butter and sugar. Fold it up and down it goes. Oh the memories it brought back.
I used to (and occaisionally still do) make those all the time.
Quick and easy for a burst of some energy...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #42
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

Chili and deer hunting with Dad!
krtnorris is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #43
BigCohiba
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

My moms baked bean recipe. We now make them every time we cook BBQ, which is often. My mom passed just over 2 years ago now - and I think of her every time we make these - or many of her other great recipes.
BigCohiba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #44
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

When we were kids, back in the 50s, my grandparents lived north of Edinburg. My grandfather had a clump of sugar cane that we would get to have a piece of once a year. They also had a date palm tree in the front yard. We loved those treats when ripe. I still love dates and chewing on a stalk of sugar cane, and they both bring me back to those simpler times.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #45
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

Pot of fresh purple hull peas takes me right to my granny's house.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #46
Tryton
Ten Point

Quote:
My MIL used to make pickled cucumbers and onions. She would slice them up in a bowl, pour vinegar over them and some black pepper. Let them sit in the fridge over night. Man those things were good.
I just made 3 jars this weekend since I still have cucumbers coming out of my garden.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #47
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
I just made 3 jars this weekend since I still have cucumbers coming out of my garden.
These weren't pickles. They were for the next days dinner. They were pickled but not pickles.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #48
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

My Dad's parents were Danish and my grandmother used to make Frikadeller which is a Danish meatball made from hamburger or pork, flattened out and cooked in an iron skillet. Just delicious!

Google it for the recipe and try it.

She'd combine that with some fresh snapped black eyed peas, mashed potatoes or rice and gravy and whatever and it was just my favorite meal.

My wife makes it but it's not the same as my grandmother made.

No meal will ever be as good as the ones she cooked for me.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #49
Tryton
Ten Point

Quote:
These weren't pickles. They were for the next days dinner. They were pickled but not pickles.
Absolutely. I just put mine in jars because they are easier to store in my fridge and take to work.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #50
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
Absolutely. I just put mine in jars because they are easier to store in my fridge and take to work.
Sounds good!