22-250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22-250?

will the 22-250 do ok in a Ruger American compact in a 18" barrel? will be my sons first gun. Really like the 22-250 over the 223.

I am sure it will be just fine. One of my favorite calibers as well.

Comment

Yes it will it's a great caliber ! it's also my caliber of choice.

Comment

What bullet do you plan on using? I would take broadside shots. Nothing wrong with the caliber but 'splash' is a concern depending on bullet.

Comment

I have killed dozens of deer with a 22-250. Only problem I've had with it is very poor or no blood trail but most deer fell within sight. Probably 3/4ths of them fell straight down!
          The rest we just use to train dogs but some of the ones that went 100 yards or so in thick brush would have been hard to find without a dog. Use the right bullet, take only high percentage shots and have fun!

Comment

What do you want to do with the gun?? To me, 18" is a waste on the 22-250 as you will have a lot of unburned powder with an unnecessarily loud muzzle blast / flash. I like the 223 better if you are set on 18" & 22cal centerfire fun gun.

Lots of other options for deer & kids with 6.8spc & 300 blackout that will kill lots better & still not recoil bad.

Comment

I have a 7mm-08 I would give you old deal on. It's had enough ammo through it to sight the scope in. The scope has been taken off but I have a cheap scope I will throw in for free. Pm me if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                What do you want to do with the gun?? To me, 18" is a waste on the 22-250 as you will have a lot of unburned powder with an unnecessarily loud muzzle blast / flash. I like the 223 better if you are set on 18" & 22cal centerfire fun gun.

Lots of other options for deer & kids with 6.8spc & 300 blackout that will kill lots better & still not recoil bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
                  I have a 7mm-08 I would give you old deal on. It's had enough ammo through it to sight the scope in. The scope has been taken off but I have a cheap scope I will throw in for free. Pm me if you are interested.

Thx bot too much gun for my son. Hes 7 and small for his age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

My 7yr olds first rifle. Shoot deer n pigs.. i havent saw a 300 bolt gun wirh short lop, He shot AR yesterday. Liked bolt gun better

Comment

I was thinkin of getting that exact gun with the stainless barrel for a truck gun

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        What bullet do you plan on using? I would take broadside shots. Nothing wrong with the caliber but 'splash' is a concern depending on bullet.

Barnes triple shock or maybe nosler partion

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                          My 7yr olds first rifle. Shoot deer n pigs.. i havent saw a 300 bolt gun wirh short lop, He shot AR yesterday. Liked bolt gun better

Ruger American Ranch Rifle. Has threaded barrel too. They make a compact model in the 300 blackout. It has a shorter Lop. I personally have one because I wanted it as short as possible for truck gun. Can’t go wrong with this. They make it in 223, 7.62x39, 450 bushmaster and 300 blackout.

Comment

Great caliber and like Sika, me and the boys have dropped many a whitetail, turkey and usually DRT. Plus...when you kiddo get's older and has to get a bigger caliber, you still have a low recoil for your old age!

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post

What's the lop on the 300 bck out American predator?

Comment

Working...
                              X