Shield owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield owners

I just bought an S&W PC Shield. Everything is good except for one thing. When a mag is inserted, it's almost impossible to work the slide catch to lower the slide. Without a mag in, it's easy. Are all of them this way, because I own several Glocks, an XDs, and a full size M&P, and all these can easily be manipulated with a mag in place. Never had a pistol that was like this, and have owned several different ones in the past. This is a head scratcher for me. Any help is appreciated.

On the plus side, this sucker has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol (from the factory) that I've ever shot. Magazines are hell to load, but my arthritic thumbs don't help that !

Thanks !

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    I just bought an S&W PC Shield. Everything is good except for one thing. When a mag is inserted, it's almost impossible to work the slide catch to lower the slide. Without a mag in, it's easy. Are all of them this way, because I own several Glocks, an XDs, and a full size M&P, and all these can easily be manipulated with a mag in place. Never had a pistol that was like this, and have owned several different ones in the past. This is a head scratcher for me. Any help is appreciated.

On the plus side, this sucker has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol (from the factory) that I've ever shot. Magazines are hell to load, but my arthritic thumbs don't help that !

Thanks !
    Yes they are all like that. You can do some googling and see that is a complaint by some. I have seen where some folks do some light sanding to make it a slide release instead on a slide stop. I just power stroke it. Always works and it's good muscle memory to learn.

Comment

I have a .40 the fear is that a file job will make it not hold open. so unlike the 1911 and the one thumb action cycle its now just a two hand method.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
        I have a .40 the fear is that a file job will make it not hold open. so unlike the 1911 and the one thumb action cycle its now just a two hand method.
        Thanks for the responses. It's not a deal killer, as it has no bearing on function of the loading process, it's just not what I expected.

Comment

Many guns are like that. Just pull the slide back 1/4", and let it go. Only reason it would be an issue to me is if one arm/hand was capacitated, and you needed to do a one handed reload/slide drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
            Many guns are like that. Just pull the slide back 1/4", and let it go. Only reason it would be an issue to me is if one arm/hand was capacitated, and you needed to do a one handed reload/slide drop.
            I think you're confused. There is no issue with a loaded mag. The issue is letting the slide down with an empty mag inserted. Take out the mag, and it's easy. No sweat as long as I know that it was purposely built that way. Easy to drop the mag and release the slide.

Comment

I had the same issue, I took a file to the slide and then the slide to a polishing wheel. It's a lot better now but to me the issue is more with the fact that there is literally no meat to the release to grab.

Comment

Not designed to drop the slide on an empty mag. If you want an empty mag in the gun drop the slide first. Not sure why you would ever want an empty mag in.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  Not designed to drop the slide on an empty mag. If you want an empty mag in the gun drop the slide first. Not sure why you would ever want an empty mag in.
                  I have lots of guns, and I don't store them all loaded. I generally keep the magazine in the gun, and the spare beside it. But the question has been answered, although I appreciate your concern.

Comment

Shield owners

I know dropping a slide on an empty chamber is a GREAT way to ruin a trigger. On a 1911.

Not familiar with poly guns.

Comment

Working...
                    X