primitive points for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

primitive points for hunting

Has anyone on here shot an animal with a primitive point (rock, glass, not metal)?

I was wondering how it worked. I have been attempting to knap some arrowheads and they seem to snap in half as I am starting to make them look good. It seems like that may happen if it was used on a big game.

Blood Trail showed me a video yesterday of a guy testing various home made rock/glass heads on a freshly taken doe and 1 out of 4 broke.

bump

Comment

I have. I Shot a javelina last week.
      Didnt go too well.
      The bad thing is that since its a stone point, you cant practice with ir or it will break.
      My total arrow weight came to 345gr. (Im used to 600)
      Setting that as an excuse, I shot high. Javelina was hit a tad back and very high. I still think it would have died if I had a metal point.
      Anyway, i got poor penetration, no blood, and no arrow. And no javi.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
        I have. I Shot a javelina last week. Didnt go too well.
        The bad thing is that since its a stone point, you cant practice with ir or it will break.
        My total arrow weight came to 345gr. (Im used to 600)
        Setting that as an excuse, I shot high. Javelina was hit a tad back and very high. I still think it would have died if I had a metal point.
        Anyway, i got poor penetration, no blood, and no arrow. And no javi.
        This is cool y'all. Not something I would want to try but that doesn't mean it ain't super cool!

Comment

I have not shot anything with these yet, but I plan to

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412801606.603377.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	24335387

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 10-08-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Several years ago a friend of mine got into napping his own heads and they looked really good.

We hunted in South Texas where he shot 2 hogs and 1 doe. None were recovered and I don't think any died due to very poor penetration. All appeared to only bury broad head deep with no blood on the shafts.

He was very disappointed with his heads so he picked up a few from the man that was teaching him how to nap and we went hunting again. The new heads penetrated extremely well and he successfully killed 2 hogs with complete penetration. Same bow just better made heads.

They work very well if properly made.

JC

Comment

those are some sweet sticks bisch

Comment

A friend that has made knapped stuff for a living for 30 years had asked me to hunt with one of his points. I looked at them and said no. I told him I would if he made the points 2 1/2" long by 1 1/4" wide and the had to weigh from 125 to 150 grains. He made me 5 an they all weighed between 129 gr. to 139 gr. I shot a doe with one and it went through and stuck in the ground and did not break. She ran about 80 yards.

Comment

We do have a fellow here that uses stone points with great success, maybe he'll chime in... I made a primitive arrow for my buddy's camp. The first thing he said was "well, how does it fly?". Within a matter of a few minutes we discovered that it flew very well. We shot it numerous times without any noticeable damage.

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
                    those are some sweet sticks bisch

X2

Comment

Bisch, Did you make those points or did someone make them for you? They look perfect.

Comment

With stone or glass heads the arrow MUST be perfectly tuned so that it hits the intended target absolutely straight on. Primitive points don't have much lateral strength and will break it the arrow is fish tailing at target impact. Also the arrow does not need to spin as this will break the point as well.
                        Good old Texas rootbeer flint is about as tough as we have here. Arkansas Novaculite is also very tough. Obsidian or any glass material although very sharp is not tough at all but will cut pretty good if the arrow is tuned perfectly.

Comment

I've hunted with obsidian points I made before. Some hit dirt and could be wiped off and shot again, others blew into dust because I made em into random shaped triangles, if you make em right though they can be used multiple times but hey, it's rock or glass, destroy one make another. And it sounds like your holding your head with a gap under where you want your flake to go when pressure flaking the edge right? A notched pad like those beginner kits sell? I had good luck switching to a solid leather pad and having the fatty bit of my hand cushioning the flake I wanted to remove. I still suck at it but have a tiny collection of points growing so I'm learning!

Comment

I haven't had any more bad luck or good luck by switching to stone. I've been at it with rocks for two years and have harvested 7 critters. There was a learning curve with head shape and securing the head on the shaft,. But with those kinks worked out I've been as successful as I've been with steel. I'll chime back in when I'm not on the rd
                            Last edited by jreyna920; 10-09-2014, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Made this from a broken half of a bottle I had sitting around this morning. Tried doing one side serrated and the other side razor, ended up way too narrow cause I couldn't get it as sharp as I wanted on the razor side and the serrations didn't work at all. Tiny sliver of glass compared to the old jar bottoms I've been using
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X