No announcement yet.

Engagement Ring Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to keep in mind Cut, color, clarity and how much land does her family own?

Comment

Congrats on the step.
      Don't buy more than you budget for (i didn't follow that rule) and know whatever you spend its about like a car and those things depreciate like crazy. So even more of a reason to not drop a ton of money.

I used Lake and Randy with Simply Radiant. It was all over email and the phone and they did a great job. Lake has posted on here a few times and was very helpful.

Once again DONT SPEND MORE THAN YOU BUDGET FOR!

Comment

Just a few thoughts as everyone has an opinion on engagement rings.

- IMO Cut and Clarity over size for the center stone. I think a 1 carat that is nearly flawless (VVS1 - VVS2 range) looks better than a 1.25 or 1.5 carat that is a few notches down the clarity scale; although the price point may be similar.

- If you go with an independent, be sure to check references. Diamonds and gold can be a pretty shady business. Many would be surprised to see the backgrounds of some individuals that have even solid reputations. They also like to quote "wholesale" prices and brag about how bad the big box stores rip you off, but these guys have mark-ups too. The savings isn't always as much as they want you to perceive. With that said, you can definitely get a better deal going this route if bottom dollar is your concern.

- Brick and mortar stores like Jared, definitely are a bit more than Independent dealers. However, they offer solid warranties, life-time cleanings and other services. It's an easier experience and more of a risk free transaction and you can have a ring set within a day or two. With that comes an added mark-up. That doesn't make big box stores better or worse than independents; both have pros and cons.

- Don't go into deep debt on a ring. Don't listen to the go big or go home crowd. If you are just starting out, would you rather spend thousands on a ring or put that money towards a house? You can always upgrade stones on a later date.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I plan on paying cash in full and am comfortable up to 6k. So I’ll see what I can get in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
            Just a few thoughts as everyone has an opinion on engagement rings.

- IMO Cut and Clarity over size for the center stone. I think a 1 carat that is nearly flawless (VVS1 - VVS2 range) looks better than a 1.25 or 1.5 carat that is a few notches down the clarity scale; although the price point may be similar.

- If you go with an independent, be sure to check references. Diamonds and gold can be a pretty shady business. Many would be surprised to see the backgrounds of some individuals that have even solid reputations. They also like to quote "wholesale" prices and brag about how bad the big box stores rip you off, but these guys have mark-ups too. The savings isn't always as much as they want you to perceive. With that said, you can definitely get a better deal going this route if bottom dollar is your concern.

- Brick and mortar stores like Jared, definitely are a bit more than Independent dealers. However, they offer solid warranties, life-time cleanings and other services. It's an easier experience and more of a risk free transaction and you can have a ring set within a day or two. With that comes an added mark-up. That doesn't make big box stores better or worse than independents; both have pros and cons.

- Don't go into deep debt on a ring. Don't listen to the go big or go home crowd. If you are just starting out, would you rather spend thousands on a ring or put that money towards a house? You can always upgrade stones on a later date.
            I would tend to agree with your first statement. A good clear rock with fewer imperfections is way better looking than a bigger rock with imperfections or off color. And going with an off size rock say .9 or 1.1 carats will save you some compared to a smooth 1 carat stone and nobody will tell the difference.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
              Thanks for all the advice guys. I plan on paying cash in full and am comfortable up to 6k. So I’ll see what I can get in that price range.

A CZ ring and a couple APR's

Comment

Lake Mcguire. For the 5th or 6th time. He is outstanding and will get you a better diamond than anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
                  Also get ready for the entire thing to make you feel like you got a deal when in reality you didnt. It will go something like this with just about all of them.

Spends 10K
                  Appraises for 20K
                  KICKER: If you were to realistically sell it the day you received it he could probably get 5K for it. Those ratios should remain pretty good for most of em as long as you stay away from the big box retailers.

When I bought my wife’s ring, I got a price guarantee. She can sell it back for the exact price I paid for it. No questions asked.

Comment

Take a look at Costco

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Expensive diamonds make about as much sense as insulated snake boots. Biggest scam every!

Comment

keep in mind she will likely loose it at some point

Comment

I got mine a quarter carrot she still thinks I'm hot

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! I thoroughly enjoyed looking for the perfect rock for my old lady. I didn’t spend a fortune but it was all cash and was a lot for me at the time. My advice would be to educate yourself as much as possible before going into a shop and visit a few of them. Have fun!
                            MZ

Comment

Nancy Reagan said it best "just say no"

Comment

TBH -

Thanks a bunch for all the referrals and support for this past year.. I'm always willing to help and answer questions.. I specialize in watches like Rolex, AP, Patek or whatever brand your interested in buying at a discounted rate. I have the largest selection of loose diamonds in Texas and have been in the diamond business for 30 years. My company Jonathan's Fine Jewelers mostly deals in GIA certified diamonds. I also manufacture fine jewelery. I'll begin posting a few of our designs this upcoming year.

email me sergionuncio@gmail.com , text me or call 832-277-5725 anytime..

Happy New Year !!

"Blood-Sport"
                                Sergio Nuncio

Jonathan's Fine Jewelers in Houston has the best selection of diamonds, the best quality of custom engagement rings, and luxury watches.

Comment

Working...
                                X