Ford 5.0 vs EcoBoost MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford 5.0 vs EcoBoost MPG

What are some real world MPG's that yall are seeing from these two engines?
    Also what axle ratio are you running?

Im in the market for a new truck just cant decide which motor will benefit me more. My commute to work is about 45 miles round trip, all highway at 75mph.
    The heaviest thing I will ever pull with this truck will be an 18ft center console aluminum boat.

I average around 17 with my 5.0 mixed driving and 20 if on hwy, sometimes better but that's average. Guy here at work doesn't do as well with his ecoboost, he's very disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      I average around 17 with my 5.0 mixed driving and 20 if on hwy, sometimes better but that's average. Guy here at work doesn't do as well with his ecoboost, he's very disappointed.
      I've heard from quite a few people that they have been disappointed in the Ecoboost's mpg's. Then I've also heard some claiming to average 24+ mpg's on the highway.

Right now I'm leaning more towards the 5.0.

Comment

I have the 5.0 in an FX4...
        16 miles one way to work, 15.5mpg. but I drive 75-80mph.
        running 70ish, it will easily get 17mpg.

Comment

I had a 13' FX4 with ecoboost and was getting nowhere close to advertised mpg. 15 mpg in town, 16 on highway, 5 pulling a 28' camper, 8 pulling bass boat. Overall disappointed with vehicle.

Comment

I picked up a new Ecoboost two weeks ago, and it's showing 15 mpg average, mostly in town.
            It's been back at the dealer (twice now) because it vibrates at any speed over 45.
            This time my loaner is a 5.0. On the same driving route, to and from work, the 5.0 is showing 18 mpg.

At this point, I'm not convinced that the Ecoboost is the "better" of the two motors.

Comment

Ecoboost....

I had an ecoboost in a 4x4, crewcab, w/3.73 gear. I drive 16 miles one way to work. I would avg 17.5 mpg. The best I ever saw on a long trip was 21 mpg. We live on a ranch and when I would drive it on the ranch it would only bring it down to 16-16.5.
              Drive both, how the ecoboost runs sold me.... It pulls really well and feels strong.
              Good luck with your choice, both are good trucks....

J.Shoot

Comment

Originally posted by J.Shoot View Post
                Drive both, how the ecoboost runs sold me.... It pulls really well and feels strong.
                I do agree with that. The Ecoboost does feel like it has WAY more pep, than the 5.0

Comment

Texastaxi.

Had same vibration in mine was told it was "normal characteristic of that truck" by ford engineers. Service manager at the dealership where I purchased said they had lots of mad customers with same vibration complaints and Ford wouldn't make the necessary recall to fix the issue. Traded mine off last week for a GMC Z71. Problem solved!

Comment

2011 5.0 F-150 with 75,000, 17-18 in city, 20 on the hwy, 3:31 gears,
                    I have a inboard ski boat, can't tell its back there, 15 pulling boat
                    No problems

Comment

Originally posted by pferguson View Post
                      Texastaxi.

Had same vibration in mine was told it was "normal characteristic of that truck" by ford engineers. Service manager at the dealership where I purchased said they had lots of mad customers with same vibration complaints and Ford wouldn't make the necessary recall to fix the issue. Traded mine off last week for a GMC Z71. Problem solved!
                      I did NOT want to read that.

Comment

I have driven a 2014 Ecoboost and was pretty impressed by the power. I haven't gotten to drive the 5.0 yet but I will most likely test drive both this Saturday.

It is going to be a big change compared to my 5.9 Cummins.

Comment

My opinion is that it's a full size truck, it's not gonna get great gas mileage. If mpg's are that important I would go with a Prius. . Kidding aside, I have a 2013 EcoBeast and I love it. I'm getting about 19 mpg with mixed driving. The power when you stomp on it is awesome. A lot of people are seeing lower mpg's cause it's easy to drive fast.

Comment

2013 Ecoboost 4x4. 100 mile commute all highway 70-75 mph I MIGHT get 18mpg. Pulling a 21 ft deep hull fiberglass boat I get 9-10 at most. 16 ft flatbed trailer at 85 mph I get somewhere between 6-8 mpg. I love the power of my ecoboost, but the advertised mpg is lies and slander.

Comment

Same as most of the above. I have the Ecoboost. I have never driven to achieve the advertised mph. I assume that's done at a steady 55 mph over full tank or so. In town on my daily 11 mile commute, the right peddle gets hit too hard most times. On the highway I find it easily holds at 80mph with the small trailer and all. I only put about 8-9,000 miles a year at most on a truck, so gas mileage is not too important to me. I like the power of the Ecoboost but have never driven the 5.0 to compare.

Comment

Working...
                              X