No announcement yet.

? Soaking game in milk??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda like most of you, I only soak in milk if I'm feeding other folks...or trying to slip it by them because SEASON IS ONLY 52 DAYS OUT, and I have to make some freezer room! I've also used coca-cola and the carbonation seems to do the same thing, along with tenderizing the meat some.

Comment

I do my fried backstrap that way. but that is about it. Others is wash, season, cook.

Comment

You will get the same result by just letting it thaw out good the milk and or salt water draws nothing out. Just the time soaking lets the meat thaw out better which relaxes more muscles which releases the blood out of tje meat

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          I know folks that do that.
          My wife soaks ours in salt water over night and draws all the blood and gamey taste out.. This is the only way she will eat it.
          i might have to try this, my wife doesnt like the gamey taste either. whats the salt/water ratio?

Comment

She takes the meat out of the freezer the night before then literally coats it in salt. Id say maybe 5-6 tables spoons of salt to maybe 3/4 - to a gallon of water in a stainless mixing bowl. Lets it sit over night. Then pounds it out with a tenderizer and frys it. Only way she will eat it and its wonderful.

The amount of salt has never really mattered.. it never turns out tasting salty.

Comment

Never used buttermilk, but I've used vinegar and salt--mostly on hogs or an older buck.

Comment

I have found that as long as I properly bleed out the animal, in the cooler for a few days rotating ice and draining the water, that the "gammy" taste is not as much of an issue. If I take an animal straight to a processor, I ask them to hang it in the cooler for up to 4 days before starting to process it.

I have heard of soaking in milk, but have never found it neccesary to date.

Comment

I have used buttermilk and saltwater. My buddy soaks his fish in sprite overnight before cooking.

Comment

Yes we do when we chicken fry. The best is to let the meat when quartered sit in a ice chest for a week keeping good ice on it and keeping the water drained. Makes all the difference in the world on how the meat taste.

Comment

Originally posted by justin156bc View Post
                      You will get the same result by just letting it thaw out good the milk and or salt water draws nothing out. Just the time soaking lets the meat thaw out better which relaxes more muscles which releases the blood out of tje meat

I keep mine on in saltwater and ice for at least 3 days before I process it. It not only takes away some of the gamey taste but also makes the meat easier to process.

For ducks I have tried the milk/buttermilk before with no results. Now I just marinate them for a full day in Italian dressing and it makes a huge difference.

Comment

Yep salt water or milk (normal milk works fine).

I don't personally do it much but have for deep fried. Also I know lots of people who soak catfish in milk.

When I cook heart, I soak in a salt water bath for a few hours, then milk until I'm ready to cook (within a day). Haven't tried it without the baths but it sure is good with.

Comment

I have heard of it, but never done it.

Comment

I kinda thought the point of killing and eating wild game was to get some of that wild taste??

Never have, never will....... If folks don't want to tasye wild game, guess I ain't cooking then.

Comment

Yep been doing it for years either milk or buttermilk both work about the same

Comment

My dad always soaks his quail in buttermilk before he grills them or frys them. I've never had it any other way but it sure tastes great his way!

Comment

Working...
                                X