New mid-range bow or used higher end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New mid-range bow or used higher end

I need a solid upgrade from a very old PSE this year. I'd like something I can shoot for the next 5+ years and spend under $500. I primarily hunt from a blind and will have a couple backcountry trips in the future.

The Bass Pro sale coming next week has a great markdown on the PSE Brute Force Lite (going from $599 to $449). I've shot it and liked it, but the cast riser is a little bit of a red flag. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I can find on eBay a 3-4 year old Bowtech Carbon Icon/Knight or Hoyt Rampage XT for that price or less. They are similar ATA and around the same speed as the PSE, but the carbon models are about 1/2 lb lighter, which I like.

I'm hesitant on buying something used I can't see and hold myself first, but bet they are better constructed and more tuneable than the mid-price PSE.

Someone make the decision for me, please.

I'm of the opinion to get a clean, lightly used high end bow.

They last for years if taken care and at most may need a new string and tuning.

Many people buy new top end bows every year so there's always a good market for used bows at a greatly reduced price.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      I'm of the opinion to get a clean, lightly used high end bow.

They last for years if taken care and at most may need a new string and tuning.

Many people buy new top end bows every year so there's always a good market for used bows at a greatly reduced price.
      This here, I just picked up a 2016 obsession for $400. Very clean bow and excited to get to shooting it. There’s lots of deals on good bows coming through on here.

Comment

I guess this also begs the question: how old is too old? In addition to wear and tear, how far back is "too old" from a technology perspective? I'd like something that shoots ~330 IBO, under 32" ATA, adjustable draw length, and under 4lbs. There seems to be a ton of used models out there as far back as 2011 that fit these specs.

Comment

I would follow the classifieds on here. Lots of nice bows pop up from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
            I guess this also begs the question: how old is too old? In addition to wear and tear, how far back is "too old" from a technology perspective? I'd like something that shoots ~330 IBO, under 32" ATA, adjustable draw length, and under 4lbs. There seems to be a ton of used models out there as far back as 2011 that fit these specs.
            I have a 09 Reezen that fits all those specs but the weight. I think it’s low 4s.

Comment

Try the Blackout line at Bass Pro. I bought a Blackout SS and liked it plenty. I have it to my dad a month or so ago and he loves it. I bought a used on here only because the price was right.

Otherwise, watch the classifieds as people should be in the height of buying new bows right now so they will be unloading their “used” bows that may only be a season or two old with very little actual use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try archery talk.. can find some good deals in that price range

Comment

I just picked up a Halon 6 from here on TBH, and while I paid more than you have budgeted, I can't recommend one highly enough. TYAK talked me into it and I am just giddy about it.

I am shooting better than I have shot in years. I am still sighting in my 6, but this was my group tonight at 40. And I am no spring chicken.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2 cents:
                    $0.01 = I do not recommend buying a bow from a box store for many reasons, but for that budget you can do a lot better value wise. The warranties nowadays are written so its the owners fault 9 times out of 10 if something goes wrong with a bow.

$0.02 = performance and quality accessories are usually attached with the "flagship" used bows. Technology and performance of the mid range bows at the box stores are comparable to "flagship" bows 2005-2009ish. For $500 you can find a RTS 2014+ top end bow with good accessories. (I just sold one).

My final recommendation is to shop the classifieds here or AT and craigslist. IF you have no idea what you want and do not want to buy blindly, I recommend buying used from a bow shop. I know its a bit of a drive from Dallas, but Gateway Archery in FTW has 20+ trade in bows that he guarantees for 90 days purchased in store.
                    Last edited by agwrestler; 08-09-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I think I would be lucky to get 400 from my 15 carbon turbo spyder today . used bows do not hold a high price tag I thought about getting the new Hoyt this year but not ready to take that kind of beating on a 1200 dollar bow .

I would say look around for a good used one .. Late there is a guy that has a RPM 360 for sale here very nice bow .

Comment

Just sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                        X