Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son's Miltary Career Derailed...for him!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son's Miltary Career Derailed...for him!

Got a call from Jake today...he's been down-winding and relaxing from his latest deployment.

Had his next career move all planned out but got DERAILED with news today. From the top...he is now assigned as a Drill Instructor with a base change to 4 possible different bases in the next few months. He's NOT happy at all with this..like's to stay in the action. I tried to kid him and ask what size "Smokey Bear Hat" he wears and it did not go over very well.

This move derails his plans to move into a select career move. Feel bad for him but it's recognition of his performance since he's been in and will be great IF he decides to stay in?

Just wondering if any of the GS current or Vet's have been in this situation. He has consistently ranked very high with his performance over the brief few years since he joined up to serve and at least for his ole' Dad..this is a reward for his performance?

Ah....a Father's love for his son! Old pic (staff sgt now) with many changes and recognition...love this guy!
    Attached Files

It’s common once you get E5 promotable or E 6 you have to choose a B billet. Ie drill sergeant (drill instructors are Marines), recruiter, etc. a lot of jobs are tapped out on people so they have to show that they are improving themselves in the well rounded model the Army has in mind. Staff sergeant and above does a ton more admin type deals than anything below so they have to do more to show they are willing to better their career. He can turn it down and transfer units or opt for retention or recruiting. All the B billets seem to be hard on marriages and time at home. I just got out I was in both the Marines and the Army in the Infantry. I’m super glad to be out but hope the best for him.

Comment

Itll help get him promoted later on, keeps him safe and home for a few years atleast

Comment

Im not military but I see it as a good thing. He can influence young life's and make them better men. That can never be a bad thing. Congrats to him and God Bless America

Comment

Kuma...dropped my son off for basic today. Need some words of wisdom for this heart O' mine from a man that has seen his son go downrange often.

He will be boots on the ground in Ft Sill at 22:00 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            Kuma...dropped my son off for basic today. Need some words of wisdom for this heart O' mine from a man that has seen his son go downrange often.

He will busy and will probably call once then might be a while for the next call.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
              He will busy and will probably call once then might be a while for the next call.
              We have texted alot...will have phone until hits the front gate. To be honest I am a little jealous. He will get to experience a comradery many only dram about...plus get paid to shoot

Kuma...the recruiter for my son has gone far and beyond the call...your son will be like that and I can think of not greater a honor. God Bless the Military of the United State of America

Comment

He will get his choice of assignment following his time at a basic training unit. So while not his choice now it won't prevent him from going where he want's just delays it.

There is also a running joke about why drill sergeants are so mean is because they were pulled from their units and sent to be drill sergeants and spend three years taking it out on every private that comes through.

Comment

looks like 2nd calvary unit patch, one of my old units back in the day.

Comment

At least he will be safe for a few years and be able to pass along his skills to young recruits who may very well live because of his teaching.

Comment

Ft Sill is a very unpleasant place it’s a colder than all get out and hotter than you would expect. Best of luck to the young man he will do good I’m sure.
                      He must be some sort of Artillery. Great job choice

Comment

I never worried about Jake during basic, but the deployments were a different thing...worried every single day. Thanks to your son and your family!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          He will get his choice of assignment following his time at a basic training unit. So while not his choice now it won't prevent him from going where he want's just delays it.

There is also a running joke about why drill sergeants are so mean is because they were pulled from their units and sent to be drill sergeants and spend three years taking it out on every private that comes through.
                          Yeah, I think what got him is it was unexpected. At this point I can't picture him in this capacity but it's his career so just supporting.

Thanks all for the comments..help me understand better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

This

Comment

As a member of the "Blue Cord Brotherhood ", I thank God for my DI's. The training and wisdom they imparted to us from their combat experience was invaluable.

Comment

Working...
                              X