Fly rod for a 10 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly rod for a 10 year old?

Went fly fishing in Colorado recently and now my 10 year old has the bug for a fly rod. Obviously we won’t be trout fishing at home . Just pond fishing and maybe eventually inshore fishing if he really gets into it.

I know nothing about fly rods. Size? Weight? Any recommendations on something of decent quality that won’t break the bank?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a 4 or a 5wt fiberglass rod that’s no more than 8 ft long, I have a 4wt Orvis Superfine glass rod 7 foot 6 inches long and its real easy to cast. See how he cast your rod? Take him with you to try out a few rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My second rod of many, was a fenwick HMG 5 wt. It remains a favorite of mine. A cheap reel and weight forward fly line and he can use it forever. Not sure what lengths are available. It still casts better than some of my more expensive rods. Check them out!

Comment

Originally posted by medicineman View Post
        My second rod of many, was a fenwick HMG 5 wt. It remains a favorite of mine. A cheap reel and weight forward fly line and he can use it forever. Not sure what lengths are available. It still casts better than some of my more expensive rods. Check them out!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
          I think a 4 or a 5wt fiberglass rod that’s no more than 8 ft long, I have a 4wt Orvis Superfine glass rod 7 foot 6 inches long and its real easy to cast. See how he cast your rod? Take him with you to try out a few rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t even own one. The guide provided the gear on our trip. Thanks for the input!

Comment

PM me your name and address. I'll send him a rod, reel and line to get him started.

Comment

I started with an 8wt Shakespeare Fiberglas when I was around that age. I went from a cane pole to a Zebco to flies. He will be bouncing flies off the water to way back under willow trees in no time with whatever you get him. I used to also catch Spanish mackerel with it when the pods of “red” minnows showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                PM me your name and address. I'll send him a rod, reel and line to get him started.
                Nice gesture.

I guess you aren't as bad as most people on here think!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                  Nice gesture.

Very nice !

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                    Nice gesture.

I wouldn't go so far as to publicly state that. You night get pummeled!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Thank you Sir for your generosity! Still some dang good people on here!

Comment

I started out with a pretty cheap combo from bass pro when I was about 12. 9 ft 6wt and I still have it to this day and still fish with it sometimes. The longer rods are a little easier casting starting out in my opinion. Cabelas has some good combos for a good price and can catch them on sale pretty regular

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would get him a 9 ft 6 or 7 weight. Easier to handle fish and cast.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                            I started out with a pretty cheap combo from bass pro when I was about 12. 9 ft 6wt and I still have it to this day and still fish with it sometimes. The longer rods are a little easier casting starting out in my opinion. Cabelas has some good combos for a good price and can catch them on sale pretty regular

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                              I started with an 8wt Shakespeare Fiberglas when I was around that age. I went from a cane pole to a Zebco to flies. He will be bouncing flies off the water to way back under willow trees in no time with whatever you get him. I used to also catch Spanish mackerel with it when the pods of “red” minnows showed up.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X