Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Success on a bruiser! (4 yard shot) Story and pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success on a bruiser! (4 yard shot) Story and pics!

I bagged this bruiser a couple of weeks ago, but just got around to downloading the pics to my computer. The story goes somethin like this.

After hearing the crunching sound of unmistakeable footsteps heading my way. I threw up my binocs and spotted a no-doubter shooter buck making his way through a patch of trees, heading straight to my shooting lane, giving me a perfect 25 yard shot.

I drew my bow as he passed behind some large trees prior to entering my lane and prepared for the shot. Unfortunately, he froze before entering my lane. He had spotted the decoy I put out in front of me and he was VERY curious. He stood still, blocked by trees, for what seemed like 10 minutes, before backing up and circling down wind of the decoy (bringing him straight at my tree, still not allowing me a good shot opportunity). He paused for 5-10 seconds between each step, further heightening my anxiety and lactic acid build up in my strained arms and back. I debated letting down and redrawing (and potentially ruining my chances), but decided that whatever pain I had to endure would be worth it if I could just hang in there and close the deal. I gritted my teeth, took some deep breaths, and patiently waited. He finally turned towards the decoy at just four yards from my tree and headed perpendicular to my stand. He was right below me! I guessed I had been holding for four plus minutes and I couldn't foresee a much better shot opportunity as he was headed straight towards the decoy, only allowing a straight away shot. My arms were giving out and I decided it was time to shoot even though a straight down shot is not the best angle. I aimed just below his spine and let her rip. It was a LOUD hit. The arrow instantly disappeared, producing immediate, ample amounts of blood. I could tell it was a good hit. He tried leaping over a large thicket, tumbled over the back side of it and was deceased, in sight, within 3-4 seconds of the shot. (After dressing, I discovered the arrow actually went right through his heart) I was instantly flooded with emotions. (Fortunately, the buck fever shakes came after the shot and not before. In hind sight, I'm quit surprised by the composure and calmness I maintained while at full draw. I guess years of trying to hit a 95 mph fastball prepared me to be somewhat composed under extreme pressure.)

I sat down, said a quick prayer and thanked the big guy upstairs for blessing me with such amazing opportunities. I called my wife and she (bless her heart) was just as excited as me. My good friend and huntin buddy, Shane Drawe, was also just as excited. We have hunted for years together and our successes in the field are mutually shared and celebrated.

I am so thankful and blessed to have an amazing friend like Shane and an even more amazing wife that allows me to pursue my passions for the outdoors. I am truly blessed.

See ya on down the road,
    Chase

Equipment used-

Bow-Mathews Z7 Extreme
    Arrows- Easton Bloodlines
    Broadhead- Rage Extreme
    Binoculars and rangefinder- Vortex Optics
    Decoy- Montana (dreamy doe)
    Grunt Tube- Duel
    Camo- Kryptek
    Release- True Fire
    Sights- HHA
    Rest and stabilizer- Axion Pulse
    Boots- Muck
    Safety Harness- HSS
    Scent spray- Wildlife Research
    Scent control- Ozonics
    Scent-ConQuest (evercalm)
    Target- GlenDel Buck

Wow bruiser for sure good story too

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Beast!

Comment

He is a toad! Congrats

Comment

Nice buck. Love the character.

Comment

Thank you guys

Comment

Big ole head on him congrats.

Comment

Beast for sure

Comment

Great deer! Way to hold steady! That deer's antlers look like he enjoyed a bench-clearing brawl or two.

Comment

Wow. Congrats

Comment

Wow congrats on the tank of a buck

Comment

No doubt shooter buck? I'll say. What a toad.

Nice write-up, too.

Congrats.

Comment

Great shot on a great deer! Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X