Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those that travel for work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My entire corporate career was travel .........loved it!!! [emoji4] Wife and daughter traveled often with me to the good spots!!! Wife exited workforce when daughter was 2 and never looked back......daughter is 20 now! Never turn down an opportunity as they don't come every day. If not a good fit you can always step away from the role. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Kongrats!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell her to suck it up. You’re both making sacrifices for the better if the family. Why women or men think they are the only ones affected by these types of things, is beyond me. It’s not like you’re doing this to get out of daily activities/duties at home.

Comment

Traveling 4 days a month shouldn't be bad at all. I travel for months at a time with my current position and it does add stress to a marriage. I missed Christmas last year and it appears as if I will miss my daughter's 1st birthday in 2019. If you can get your wife to buy into the bigger picture, this sounds like a win for you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Tell her to suck it up. You’re both making sacrifices for the better if the family. Why women or men think they are the only ones affected by these types of things, is beyond me. It’s not like you’re doing this to get out of daily activities/duties at home.
          Preach it!

Comment

I travel for work (couple days a week) and I don't have the best answer for you, but my wife just steps up and does it. It's not easy and I love and respect her for doing what she does with our two young children. She knew and was on board 110% before I even took the promotion that caused me to travel more so that part was taken care of but to sum it up you do what you got to do in order to make it work.

Once a month is not bad, I'd talk to her and see what she says and maybe even come up with a plan for those days that you'd be gone.

Comment

One week a month doesn’t seem too big of a deal to put you in the drivers seat for a VP position and salary growth. You also stated you’d be doing something you believe you’re built to do. My wife would rather me be doing something I’m energized by then coming home every night from something I hate. We all work to provide and play, getting to do something you really are talented at and enjoy is a huge. I’m guessing you’ll see a pay increase before a promotion; passion pays in the workplace.

And you stated you’ll be working from home the other days of the month, that’s huge. I’m out the door before my kid gets up most days. You helping in the AM the other three weeks seems more than equivalent.

Comment

Once your married for several decades your wife would love you to be gone, for 4-5 day a week! Full circle brother!!

Comment

This is where I’m at with it.

4 days a month is nothing.

Comment

Well I can say this that if momma ain’t happy then no one is happy. I travel for work all the time and cover a fairly large territory. When my kids were young my wife was stressed all the time but now that the kids are older all she has to worry about is getting the kids to all their activities. I get to make my own schedule so if it is a busy week with school or kid activities then I stay close to the house that week

Comment

I am in my mid 40's and have traveled my entire adult career. I would not have been able to do it without help from family. In most cases traveling type of jobs pay a lot better than normal jobs. Assuming that is the case i would suggest a few things to make the travel a little less troublesome.

1. get a good credit card assuming you have to pay for your own expenses and then have to submit an expense report. You want to make sure that the money that you spend you are getting credit for in the way of credit card points. I average 75k or more per year in company travel, all of which i get points for that in turn allow me to take other vacations or to simply buy something nice.

2. make sure you stay with the same airline. for the same reasons with the credit card point you want to make sure that you accumulate as many points a you can with the same airline. over time you can get bumped up to first class. Also you can use those miles for family vacations.

3. make sure to stay within the same chain of hotels. It doesn't matter if it is Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, just pick one and stick with it. Just like 1 and 2, you want to be rewarded with your time away from home.

4. usually if you travel you will also get mileage pay, keep track of all of it. If you rent a car then you cannot use mileage pay but if you use your own vehicle make sure it is tracked. When I was younger i would easily drive 50k per year in my own car. At the time the IRS re-imburshment was 32 cents, now it is 54 cents. Back then I had purchased a car that was about 54k and in one year i could pay off about 16k of that car with the additional money from the mileage pay.

Comment

If you do not like the job you are in now, and can take another position with basically the same take home p[ay and benefits and only being gone a few nights a month, go for it. Looks like the opportunity for advancement is better.

Look at it this way, if you do not accept this job and things stay the same or get worse at your current job, how are YOU going to cope. Your attitude to stay in this particular job may get worse and could affect your family life. Think about it from your standpoint, are you going to be able to accept the fact IF you do not take this new offer? Been there and done that on more than one occasion and I know for a fact that if I had not taken some chances with jobs over the years, I would regret it to this day. Not having kids though did help in some of the decisions. Heck, when I was guiding in NM years ago, I was basically gone from the last of August to January with some weekends home and some with the wife visiting me and we survived, but again with no kids!

Comment

Something you need to consider is how secure her job situation is.
                          When your gone and the kids get sick she will be the one missing work.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            I interviewed for a job that would require me to travel at least 1 week a month. Most is close range airline travel, meaning I can fly out late Monday and return mid afternoon Friday, but this leaves my wife with 3 kids to get ready for daycare and school and get to her job.

I used to travel a bit, but we just had 1 kid then. How do your wives handle it? Do they recruit help?

Really think that this is a good opportunity, but don’t want it to come at the expense of my marriage and family
                            If you would be a lot happier at this job I say go for it. 4 days a month really isn’t that much imo. I bet you could find a college girl to help out, that’s what we did.

Comment

Word!!!

Comment

I travel quite a bit and have many colleagues with which I travel. None of them have wives that have adjusted to them being gone if they weren't comfortable originally. As my wife put it, you are either ok with it or you're not. If you are meeting resistance now, odds are it'll be a constant battle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X