No announcement yet.

Eating bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck yeah! Love em. Have eaten a ton growing up.

Comment

I’ve eaten plenty of bass. Fishing small farm ponds in Mississippi growing whatever got caught got put in the stringer and dropped in the grease. It could be bluegill, bass or catfish, didn’t matter.

I guess I wasn’t picky enough to tell the difference after they were made into filets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
        The same people that won't eat bass think bluegill are trash fish!
        wrong

Don't eat many bass as there is way to many crappie out there to eat bass We do keep some every now and then but only when they **** me off while crappie fishing much rather eat crappie trout reds flounder and yella cats. oh and I love me some hand sized perch even though I don't eat many bass.

Comment

TastyClick image for larger version

Name:	20180708_213136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24546651Click image for larger version

Name:	20180712_175319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	24546652

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I live on the coast in SW Louisiana. Our marsh bass down here are indeed better tasting than the bass we catch in Toledo Bend. I will gladly eat both but the Toledo Bend fish have a slight grassy taste. Best described as they sorta of taste like coon tail smells. There is none of that taste in the marsh bass. Now, Redfish are gross, specks are so-so, flounder are the best inshore fish there is. Mangrove snapper is the best snapper, wahoo is the best white meat fish and of course tuna is tuna.

Comment

I keep them, never had a fried fish I didn’t like. Or I put them in a cooler with aerator and move them from the deer lease tank to the tank at the cabin we stay in

It’s a good thing to take some out, especially in a tank

Comment

Just like any resource it has to be managed. Culling fish...like culling deer serves a purpose. Too many of anything....deer, bass, etc reduces the overall health of the herd. If you want bigger fish, you have to take out the small fish.

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
                  Release in grease!
                  Yep. I've cleaned hundreds and have fried up a many.. Very good eating IMO.. A 1.5 to 2 pound BASS is hard to beat..

Comment

How can this even be a question?

Of course I eat bass! Why possibly not? They're flavorful, with great tasting, flaky texture! Growing up, we usually pan-fried filets, but they grill or bake up just fine.

Next, someone will suggest that we just tranquilize whitetail and take pictures and measurements before throwing them back to breed....

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                      Aabbbsolutely! This particular morning I kept every fish between 12" and 16". One of the very best things you can do for the health of a good stock tank. I'll eat a bass before a catfish all day long.
                      ^^^^^This ^^^^^

People don't keep enough IMO and hurt the fisheries, especially the smaller ones. Eat them fresh and there isn't anything wrong with a ditch pickle.

Comment

I’ve checked the weights at tournaments. If I wasn’t gonna get a check, I’d skip weighing them in and have a good dinner..

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Heck yes. Way better than catfish, but not as good as crappie or bluegill.
                          This

Comment

I eat em occasionally. Seems the clearer the water the better they taste. I like em on the half shell on the grill.

Comment

I eat them occasionally, I think they are just shy of tasting as good as crappie.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                                I eat them occasionally, I think they are just shy of tasting as good as crappie.
                                I actually prefer them over Crappie and none are to big

Comment

Working...
                                X