2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Point of fact, if we're debating it...there's no reason everyone in North America shouldn't own a .264 mag.[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Too bad the .264 mag doesn't have the ballistic efficiency as the 6.5 creedmore. But it is a very sweet barrel burner for sure.

Sorry Dale, I had to.

Comment

I agree with the above. The cm is the hottest thing going today but will it be in 5 or 10 years...? Who knows....? Safe to say brass will be around for reloading as is true with any 308 based round such as the 7-08.

You could further improve the performance by going to a 708AI. Velocity would improve and trimming would be a thing of the past. Yet another excellent reason to build a custom that few seem to talk about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I did my part! Just paid my deposit for 2 rifles. One a tbh special for Jr in 7mm-08 and one a backup pea shooter for doc to take in to the mountains in 6.5-284. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the guys at APR a d they made it easy! Pretty sure I’ll be using them in the future and I don’t have the guns yet. Gonna be a long wait but I think Jr will have a good birthday in July!!!!

Comment

Man so jealous right now… congrats Doc

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So what is the difference between the 6.5 and 6.5-284.....Is the 6.5-284 a hand load or is there factory ammo for it....

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
              So what is the difference between the 6.5 and 6.5-284.....Is the 6.5-284 a hand load or is there factory ammo for it....

Midway has a pretty good selection of x284 ammo right now, which I find odd but it’s a great round.

You do get more out of it hand loading though as is true with most calibers.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Lazy, quite a bit of speed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies on 7-08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
                    Midway has like 10 different rounds for the 6.5-284. There are a lot more factory ammo options for the creedmore, and it will fit a short action mag, where the x284 would suffer badly in order to fit a SA mag. If that even matters to you.

Comment

Thanks guys...I'll probably stick with the creedmore....

Comment

I have a 25/06 sendero and it’s a tack driver and a 270, 30/06, 243, 223, 30/30, 300short mag, 22 hornet, and probably a couple more in the safe. Out of those rounds the 25/06 and 270’are my favorite. I’m having a hard time deciding what other caliber to go with. I don’t reload but one day I might, how much better is the 6.5x284 than my 25/06? Farthest I’m comfortable killing a animal is 400yrds because that’s the farthest I have practiced. So what would be a good caliber that I could kill with up to 400-500 yrds but maybe do some long rant shooting past 500yrds?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                          I have a 25/06 sendero and it’s a tack driver and a 270, 30/06, 243, 223, 30/30, 300short mag, 22 hornet, and probably a couple more in the safe. Out of those rounds the 25/06 and 270’are my favorite. I’m having a hard time deciding what other caliber to go with. I don’t reload but one day I might, how much better is the 6.5x284 than my 25/06? Farthest I’m comfortable killing a animal is 400yrds because that’s the farthest I have practiced. So what would be a good caliber that I could kill with up to 400-500 yrds but maybe do some long rant shooting past 500yrds?

Looks like you are missing a good short action capable at that distance so 6.5CM or 7-08 come to mind.

Comment

2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

I was in bass pro today and impressed with the 7mm-08 ammo selection.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

What kind of critter are you after at those ranges? Deer? Elk?

Deer...257 Weatherby, 6.5x284, 26 Nosler, 6.5x300 Weatherby, 280 AI, 7mm Mag, 28 Nosler, etc...but I'm a guy that doesn't dial scopes and learns the hold over for my target. (I know, I know, I'm old before my time)

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                                What kind of critter are you after at those ranges? Deer? Elk?

Deer...257 Weatherby, 6.5x284, 26 Nosler, 6.5x300 Weatherby, 280 AI, 7mm Mag, 28 Nosler, etc...but I'm a guy that doesn't dial scopes and learns the hold over for my target. (I know, I know, I'm old before my time)
                                Deer, hogs and hopefully antelope

Comment

Working...
                                X