Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful DIY Elk Hunt - Done

Well, here we go. . .

I got pretty pumped following along on some of the live threads the last couple of weeks, but didn't even attempt. We lose cell service about an hour away from our base camp, so I knew that wouldn't work.

We loaded up on 09/02 and headed out of Yukon, OK at 4pm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	25067070

For those of you that don't believe the 5.0 has any tow power, think again. I averaged 11.7 mpg over 1800+ miles running 70mph.

We stopped in Glenwood Springs early Thursday morning to eat breakfast and buy our tags. From here, it was 18 miles to our exit from civilization.

By around noon, we had our camp set up. We were fortunate enough to set up in the forks of a small creek - at least we had running water.

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	25067081

We were so pumped when we got through setting up camp, that we still couldn't sleep - even after being up for more than 36 hours, so we headed out to see what we could see. We set up in a high meadow where we had harvested a cow last year, and seen a couple more good bulls. We saw one young bull at about 200 yards out. Later, I bugled in a decent 5x5 for my cousin. He was heading towards him, and ran smack into him. This was his first hunt on bugling bulls.

Over the holiday weekend, there were lots of trail riders up in the high country. Monday night, around the campfire, it seemed as though the entire mountainside lit up. We went to bed with bulls bugling all around us in the dark.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning 09/08, we were at the dark timberline high up on a mountain meadow at daylight. The bulls were screaming like crazy. I set my cousin up to call for me, and went to intercept the oncoming bull. Shortly after catching a glimpse of him cutting around to get upwind, another bull cut loose about 50 yards away - bugling, chuckling, and growling. When this commenced, the other incoming bull turned and went back up the mountain. At this point, the larger bull was now alone with no antagonist, so I stepped in and fulfilled my civic duty. He worked slowly in to my bugles and chuckles (I felt like I was screaming). I got to within 20 yards, but had no shot. He moved around a little, and I finally got a split second opportunity at about 35 yards. The Viper Trick tipped missile launched from the Elite and zipped through him like butter. The bull then took off like his tail was on fire, all hunched up. I found my arrow, marked the blood, and then backed out for a while as I thought the shot might have been a tad low. Turns out I was right. I was about 4 inches lower than I would have liked, but it was lethal. He made a beeline for about 200 yards, and then leaned up on a downed tree. That is where I found him.

My buddy and I talked it over, and he went up to the same dark timber the next night. He and another guy from our camp called in a single bull - but what a bull. He was a giant 6x6 that we have estimated will go 280". Remember that this is OTC tags on public land.

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	25067084

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	25067085

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	25067086

Name:	IMG_1479 (2).JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	25067087

Name:	IMG_1482.JPG
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	25067088

Some majestic views from the edge of the dark timber. And, everything tastes better in camp. . .

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	25067089

I hope all of this makes sense. We are already planning our trip for next year. I must say that 10 days with no cell service was awesome.

skooter

Awesome & congrats on the bull

Comment

That's awesome. Congrats on a great hunt. Hopefully I'll get to go chase some elk with a bow next year. I've been with a rifle 3 or 4 times and shot 2 bulls but I've never been archery before.

Comment

Congrats on the archery bull!

Comment

Congrats. That's a beautiful bull.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Dang, you make it look too easy! Congrats. I'm leaving in a few days. Hope to just see some!

Comment

Great hunt. Congrats. I produced lots of hunting shows and we filmed all up in that area of CO.

HDfilmmaker

Comment

Good job man

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!!! My dream hunt right there!

Comment