Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > It's All About the Video

Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Video: January Cull Buck from Killin Tree

I finally got around to editing video from the cull buck I shot during my January Live Hunt in Webb County.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DnouN70cc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

That was a good video. I enjoyed it. I'm gonna try and start filming our hunts as well.

That buck looks a lot like the buck my daughter shot this year.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
rjvero
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Great video. Good cull buck to remove from the herd. like the tracking clips on the video
rjvero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Been watching your videos on YouTube, nicely done. Congrats
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

As always nice video Michael.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas

Great video! I really like how you did the tracking. Thanks for sharing!!
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Good video on a nice cull Michael. I enjoyed watching you have to unhook from your bow to adjust the camera. I thought that was only us amateurs who had to do that.
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
That was a good video. I enjoyed it. I'm gonna try and start filming our hunts as well.

That buck looks a lot like the buck my daughter shot this year.
Thanks! Be sure to share your videos with us! I look forward to watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvero View Post
Great video. Good cull buck to remove from the herd. like the tracking clips on the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
Been watching your videos on YouTube, nicely done. Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
Great video! I really like how you did the tracking. Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for all the feedback and comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post
Good video on a nice cull Michael. I enjoyed watching you have to unhook from your bow to adjust the camera. I thought that was only us amateurs who had to do that.
LOL! That's the reason I decided to make the switch to a thumb release (Carter Just B-Cuz from CCR) immediately after the season!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Good one, Michael...he definitely needed to go. Great video too!
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
This^^^^^^^
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Congratulations!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, SE Kansas and Out West

Great video Michael
James is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Great video as usual. I have to ask, how many gear bags do you haul in and how long does it take you to get set up every hunt?
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Good one, Michael...he definitely needed to go. Great video too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
This^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Great video Michael
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Great video as usual. I have to ask, how many gear bags do you haul in and how long does it take you to get set up every hunt?
LOL! Good question. If I set up my camera arm or tripod at the beginning of a weekend (which I normally do), I don't have to pack that in every hunt. I wrap my Sony with zoom lens in Domke wrap and carry it in my Tenzing camera bag. I can put my Osmo on top of the camera (with no extra mount). My 24-70 lens fits in a side pocket, I can fit a GoPros in the other side pocket. There is a front pouch, smaller front zippered pocket and two smaller side pockets for additional gear.

The biggest challenge is normally carrying tripod and camera clamps. I can normally clamp the Dinkum Action Pods to my bow, the tripod or even the bag, or slip them in a "cargo" pocket on my pants or coat. A bow sling for my bow helps free up a hand to carry things, if needed. I have lots of D Rings, Velcro straps, carbineers, rubber coated wraps, etc. to hold attach and hold stuff in place!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
LOL! Good question. If I set up my camera arm or tripod at the beginning of a weekend (which I normally do), I don't have to pack that in every hunt. I wrap my Sony with zoom lens in Domke wrap and carry it in my Tenzing camera bag. I can put my Osmo on top of the camera (with no extra mount). My 24-70 lens fits in a side pocket, I can fit a GoPros in the other side pocket. There is a front pouch, smaller front zippered pocket and two smaller side pockets for additional gear.

The biggest challenge is normally carrying tripod and camera clamps. I can normally clamp the Dinkum Action Pods to my bow, the tripod or even the bag, or slip them in a "cargo" pocket on my pants or coat. A bow sling for my bow helps free up a hand to carry things, if needed. I have lots of D Rings, Velcro straps, carbineers, rubber coated wraps, etc. to hold attach and hold stuff in place!
Set up time for all the different cams must take a while also. then making sure all different cams and videos are rolling and in frame is alot to deal with. With a single vid camera is tough for me can't imagine all you deal with. Makes some great videos tho
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

You misspelled "I drag a 12' trailer behind my Ranger" to setup....

Great video as usual. I guess I never knew that the Killing Tree was so close to an improved road. I always imagined it out in the middle of nowhere usually only seeing the shooting lane you opened up the video in.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Cool
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Great video sir! This post made me laugh out loud!! ...been there, done that!! Probably why most of my best videos are "afternoon" hunts! Takes me at least 45 minutes to get set up and usually only have 1 camera, sometimes 2... With my new Osmo+, I'm looking forward to some exciting videos. Was the video of you climbing into your stand from a remote mounted/controlled Osmo? Looked like you panned/zoomed... Does your Osmo kill your battery in your cell phone (whatever you use for a display) quickly? I'm having that as an issue right now...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Set up time for all the different cams must take a while also. then making sure all different cams and videos are rolling and in frame is alot to deal with. With a single vid camera is tough for me can't imagine all you deal with. Makes some great videos tho
The Dinkum Action Pods (I have one Pro, one regular and one homemade version) make pretty short work of setup. I have adapted my GoPros with Arca QR plates and have QR mounts on each pod. It's a matter of clamping the pods and mounting and pointing the cameras (and often I just leave them attached to the pods.)

My main priority is the Sony (of course, and the Osmo). I control the Sony by hand, as seen, and can operate (pan, tilt, zoom, record) the Osmo with my phone.

The GoPros are static, and I keep extended batteries on to power through a full hunt. I also use the "loop" function, which records successive one minute files and then overwrites at whatever interval I set (usually 20 minutes) unless I stop the recording, at which point it permanently saves the files. I also use the GoPro Wi-Fi remote to start/stop both GP's at the same time.

Honestly, I only used footage from the Sony and one GoPro for the actual hunting footage on this one. I used the Osmo for the intro and tracking. I did capture footage of the deer and shot from a second GoPro between me and the deer, but it didn't add anything to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You misspelled "I drag a 12' trailer behind my Ranger" to setup....

Great video as usual. I guess I never knew that the Killing Tree was so close to an improved road. I always imagined it out in the middle of nowhere usually only seeing the shooting lane you opened up the video in.
LOL! It's right off a road used frequently by gas well checkers. They are good about not coming through during "hunting hours" when we notify them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Great video sir! This post made me laugh out loud!! ...been there, done that!! Probably why most of my best videos are "afternoon" hunts! Takes me at least 45 minutes to get set up and usually only have 1 camera, sometimes 2... With my new Osmo+, I'm looking forward to some exciting videos. Was the video of you climbing into your stand from a remote mounted/controlled Osmo? Looked like you panned/zoomed... Does your Osmo kill your battery in your cell phone (whatever you use for a display) quickly? I'm having that as an issue right now...
Yes, the intro and me climbing into the tree was filmed with the Osmo.
I use an old Phantom 2 battery to power the Osmo when it's set up remotely. I carry a portable power bank (imagine that! ) to charge my phone (and occasionally my GP and/or Sony.)

Old 02-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I can see a bigger power bank in my future! Have a smaller one that works, but with all the gadgetry I use now, I need more amp-hours! Thanks for the feedback!

Do you ever have any problems with animals "smelling" your cameras that are remote? When I first started using GoPro's, they had to be just as scent-proof as the rest of my gear... You do anything special?
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #22
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I can see a bigger power bank in my future! Have a smaller one that works, but with all the gadgetry I use now, I need more amp-hours! Thanks for the feedback!

Do you ever have any problems with animals "smelling" your cameras that are remote? When I first started using GoPro's, they had to be just as scent-proof as the rest of my gear... You do anything special?
I've definitely had deer shy away from both GoPro and Osmo, at times, when they saw it. I put black gaffer's tape on the white Osmo head to conceal it a little better. I also try to conceal it as much as possible with limbs and brush. It's hard to tell if they've avoided it because of smell, but it's definitely possible. Anything you add to the equation obviously increases the risk.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #23
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Another great high quality video by Mr. MM. I always look forward to your hunting videos and they never disappoint. Thanks again for taking the time to do all that you do to keep this site as good as it is. Honestly watching videos like this make me want to start filming my hunts. Lasting visual memories are made and there is so much to learn from watching your filming efforts. It's stuff like this that makes us all better bow hunters.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Another excellent video, Michael!
I always look forward to watching your hunts.
Thanks for sharing!
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #25
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Great videos you do, make it look so natural, and easy. I have tried and I know it's not. Congrats.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #26
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Another excellent video, Michael!
I always look forward to watching your hunts.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Great videos you do, make it look so natural, and easy. I have tried and I know it's not. Congrats.

Thanks! It's still hard to talk to a camera, but it has gotten a little easier the more I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #27
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Nice job Michael! I will be headed to the lease in the next month or so hopefully to film a hog hunt.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #28
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Fancy shootin’!

You have any black and white pigs on that place??
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Perfect mgmt buck! Great video.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Nice job Michael! I will be headed to the lease in the next month or so hopefully to film a hog hunt.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the footage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Fancy shootin’!

You have any black and white pigs on that place??
LOL! Somebody shot them all!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
duck'n
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco and Hidalgo Counties

Very nicely done!
duck'n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Very Nice and good video. Takes a lot of time and gear to make each one . Thank you for doing it.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #33
bruschu
Spike

Neat to be able to join you! Thanks for sharing.
bruschu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #34
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Perfect mgmt buck! Great video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck'n View Post
Very nicely done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
Very Nice and good video. Takes a lot of time and gear to make each one . Thank you for doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruschu View Post
Neat to be able to join you! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for watching and subscribing to the YouTube Channel!

Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #35
sasquatch
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

This video is top notch! Congrats
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #36
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
This video is top notch! Congrats
Thank you!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #37
Michael
Administrator