Beginner Reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Reloading

I have wanted to tinker with reloading for some time now, but I cant really justify spending a lot of cash to get started ( at least not to the warden ).

Over the last few years, I have consolidated calibers. Every rifle in the house right now (except the AR-15's) are .308 Win.
    Im considering trying out the Lee Loader. It just seems like such a crude way to do it.
    Am I setting myself up for frustration, or have any of you achieved some good results with one of these little things.

Hey cuz, I love that caliber and think I might do the same. Right now reload .270, .223, 308 and .30-06

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Which Lee Loader are you considering? If it's the hand dies they will make very good ammunition. They won't size the case so eventually your rounds will probably become harder and harder to chamber. You'll also probably need to use the ammo in the same gun that they were shot in since the case will only be neck sized. I'd also look at getting a separate priming tool. If you have access to an arbor press so much the better but you can use a soft face hammer. You will also probably need to trim your cases eventually as well.

Comment

Dont do it. It will cost you thousands of dollars and lots of time. Lol. Buy one of these and try it out, you only be out couple hundred bucks including powder,primers and bullets

Comment

I would suggest getting a good single stage press. I have the forester co-ax and wish I had bought it first.

Also I suggest micrometer seating dies.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            Which Lee Loader are you considering? If it's the hand dies they will make very good ammunition. They won't size the case so eventually your rounds will probably become harder and harder to chamber. You'll also probably need to use the ammo in the same gun that they were shot in since the case will only be neck sized. I'd also look at getting a separate priming tool. If you have access to an arbor press so much the better but you can use a soft face hammer. You will also probably need to trim your cases eventually as well.
            This is the one Im looking at.

I cant imagine momma will complain too much over $30...lol
            I can probably pick up other things along the way, but just looking for a quick way in, on a very small investment. Just wasnt sure what kind of results to expect from this set-up.

Comment

Following. I have always wanted to reload but never knew where to start.

Comment

The Lee Loader will get the job done, but it is pretty primitive. Kinda like trying to dig a swimming pool with a shovel. It works but its slow going.

I'd agree with Radar's post. If possible, get a single stage press setup like the Lee. I have the one Radar posted and a Lee turret press and both work great.

Comment

If you want to start you just have to jump in. You will figure stuff out as you go. I also watched a lot of you tube and snooped around in a lot of reloading forums.

Comment

Save a bit and gdt the press... that sale isnt bad, the who set up for $115...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by T_Sebastian View Post
                      This is the one Im looking at.

I cant imagine momma will complain too much over $30...lol

I can probably pick up other things along the way, but just looking for a quick way in, on a very small investment. Just wasnt sure what kind of results to expect from this set-up.

That's the one M16 described above.

I used those while in college. Great economical set. Bench rest shooters set some records with those back in the day.
                      Nothing wrong with them.

I progressed to 3 rock chuckers and some Dillion progressives. I went back to hand dies for rifle.
                      Get a reloading manual and read the first hundred pages a couple times.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by T_Sebastian View Post
                          I have wanted to tinker with reloading for some time now, but I cant really justify spending a lot of cash to get started ( at least not to the warden ).

Over the last few years, I have consolidated calibers. Every rifle in the house right now (except the AR-15's) are .308 Win.
                          Im considering trying out the Lee Loader. It just seems like such a crude way to do it.
                          Am I setting myself up for frustration, or have any of you achieved some good results with one of these little things.
                          I started out with a Lee simple hand loader just to make sure it is something I would want to invest time and $$ into. They work great just VERY slow. For the $, give it a shot just to make sure it is something you would want to pursue

Comment

Working...
                          X