How to advertise a golf tournament ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to advertise a golf tournament ?

Our local Masonic lodge is going to host a golf tournament to support our various charities.

We have never tried this and are casting around in the dark trying to sort everything out.

What is the best way to try to gather up some players?
    News paper ad? thrifty nickel ?
    Thanks in advance
    Buff

1st Annual Benefit Golf Players.pdf

local sports radio station to promote it. Might have to pay a fee for advertising, or see if you can trade or if they will sponsor it.

Facebook

craigslist

does anyone read the thrifty nickel still?

Comment

I would say the golf course, but being a new course, the membership may not be there yet. Otherwise, the ideas posted above will work.

Comment

Pm Abcdj, he’s an expert, but all your money will come from hole sponsors and donations.

Comment

I suggest calling on local businesses to buy a team or be a hole sponsor. Then try and get a local restaurant or BBQ joint to sponsor the food. Local businesses can donate prizes, gift cards etc.

I'll be honest that $600 per team is on the steep side. $500 per team would be more the norm..

Comment

Facebook flyers at the golf course y’all are playing at and at golf shops . Plus advertise it on the Radio!!

Comment

Advertise at the surrounding golf courses as well. Just make sure you ask them before posting the flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                P all your money will come from hole sponsors and donations.
                This for sure! Hole sponsors can really make the event a success.

Other lodges, civic, and service organizations. Rotary, Lions, etc. The Rotary club to which I belong often plays in other Rotary golf tournaments.

Are there any Foundations in the area who support this sort of thing? Definitely contact local businesses for teams/hole sponsorship/donations. Grocery stores or grocery/beverage suppliers for donated snacks/drinks.

Comment

Oh and something you have to be careful about is a business may want to sponsor a hole, ok good then they ask if they can have a team, it s a wash but you dont make any money. Sponsor gifts are nice. I put them on for our church before, and members at golf course don't want to pay at a course where they are members, some exceptions. So I only had four teams but cleared 1500.00 on hole sponsors and donations.

Comment

First of all I would exhaust word-of-mouth. Every person involved needs to be able to sign up a certain amount of teams. Each person should call on friends, acquaintances, local businesses, bosses, teachers, etc. and get the word out and ask for sign-ups. Also ask if people/businesses would care to sponsor a team or a golfer. where they pay the $600 or the $150 to support the lodge but they didn’t actually play golf. As a business owner if I think it’s a good cause sometimes it’s easier for me just to give cash than to actually play in the tourney.

Comment

Will there be a raffle for prizes?

Comment

Facebook is surprisingly cheap to advertise on and very effective

Comment

As stated before, the key is going to be in getting businesses to sponsor the tournaments. Sell the business on what your organization does to help others. There are also several games and various things you can do to generate extra money. Feel free to call me for details.

Comment

All the above is great advice.
                            Get the course your playing on to donate the use of the course. Big savings for you!
                            Some random and some basic ideas below.
                            Sell 5 mulligans to each player for $20 dollars.
                            Par 3's draw a 17 ft circle on the green (tell em its 20)around the hole $5 chance (1 shot ) inside circle wins $10
                            Longest drive on 2 holes for $5 Give cash prize back.
                            Straightest drive on 2 holes for $5 Give cash prize back.
                            Pay to hit from the ladies tees on 1 hole that can be reached $5
                            Put 6 holes with flags on a long par 4.$5 allows you to use any hole
                            $5 for 1 kick, 1 throw and 1- 3ft piece of string for gimmies.
                            5$ for club throwing contest. Give cash prize back
                            Have a putting contest. 5$ to enter. 5fter, 10 fter, 20 fter. Everyone who makes all 3 gets a chance at a 40 fter. Closest or a make at 40ft wins cash.
                            Most of these make a lot of money with no donation from businesses. You just need volunteers to run em off.

Comment

Working...
                            X