Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite powder for 7mm Rem Mag

I want to start reloading for my 7mag.

That's a answer that can't be answered. Go to a hodgdon web sight and research. Every gun is differnt. Is that the only caliber that you will be loading? If not try to try powders that cross over.

Comment

My Sendero and Hornady SST's like Retumbo. but as mentioned above you will have to do some experimenting with your rifle to see what it likes. Barrel twist also plays a big part.

Comment

IMR 4350 or varget.

Comment

First post says it all... anyones suggestions are irrelevent. Thats why you end up having all kinds of powders when your a real reloader.

Comment

If you do a little reading, you'll find that H4831 has been a "standard" starting point for a lot of folks. When Remington originally introduced the 7RM, the powder behind the 150gr bullet load was then unavailable IMR7828. I have used that powder behind 154 Hornady bullets in my rifle, and it works OK but is a little temperature sensitive. I'm currently experimenting with H1000 and RL22 with 168gr Berger bullets, trying to find a load that produces 3000fps with low standard deviation in my M700 Classic's factory 24" barrel. A chronograph is your friend, they are cheap enough nowadays that every handloader should have one.

Stu

Comment

Mine shoots clover leaf with 4831 pushing a 160 grn nosler accubond

Comment

My Remington 700 7mmm is setup with IMR 4831 pushing 160 gr Nosler Accubonds. Sub 1" groups on the bags.

Comment

Mine likes IMR4831 short cut, which meters easier than the standard cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill1970 View Post
                    I want to start reloading for my 7mag.
                    Do you already handload ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                      Mine shoots clover leaf with 4831 pushing a 160 grn nosler accubond
                      How many grains on the powder and what primer are you using on this load if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                        Do you already handload ?
                        I have only loaded for my pistols so far. I understand that every gun is different. I was just looking for a starting point.

Comment

My new favorite is H1000.

Comment

I loaded 7 mag for several years. I used 69.8 grains of H4831 with 139 grain Hornady. IMR is a little hotter so I used 67 grains of IMR 4831 for the same 139 Hornady. 3200 ft per second. Drop was 38" at 500 yards zeroed at 200 yards.
                            I loaded for a Rugar M77 (1971) but I haven't loaded since I started archery only hunting about 30 years ago.

You will need to work up your own load for your rifle and don't start out to hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill1970 View Post
                              I have only loaded for my pistols so far. I understand that every gun is different. I was just looking for a starting point.
                              Great, as you've noticed that most have posted different propellants for their bullet of choice & what their particular rifle liked . For your magnum cartridges , generally speaking, you will get better performance from propellants in the slower burn ratings. I would suggest you decide what bullet you want to try & get the manufactures load manual for it. For my particular 7mm Rem Mag, I use the Nosler 160 gn Partition and IMR 4831, Winchester large rifle primer and Remington cases. It is a Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X