Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
    Struck out once again.
    I wonder what chances will be to get in on Granger standby now that APH permit has to be in hand?
    Last edited by bossbowman; 09-05-2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

What are your guys thoughts on Richland Creek and Gus Engeling going to an E-postcard draw like Granger is now that would allow archery deer hunting most of the deer season? They have apparently sold a record # APH permits with the change this year requiring them to apply for the E-postcard hunts and may want to expand it next year to other WMA's. I'm all for more opportunity, I hate we lost RC and GE as type II land, been almost 20 years ago now and think this would be a good change.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
        I won the first hunt at Kerrville Schreiner Park. Looking forward to it.
        I hunted there last year. It's a small park, but a good hunt. You will draw for spots and then be given time to go set up a spot. Make sure you brush in your blind really well.

I had heard some people had issues seeing animals there, but I killed a WT doe on the first evening and then had multiple WT bucks and doe within 5-20 yards for the remaining hunts. Never saw an exotic.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by cizzle210 View Post
          Drawn for Big Bottom Lake also

Hey me too!!! What dates? I’m November 16-25th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            I'm really not sure why sometimes it goes straight to not selected, I saw that last year, its like there is only a smaller pool of people that are eligible for the 2nd draw or there is something wrong with their system. All mine for the sept. 1 draws are pending 2nd now.

I’ve had some hunts say pending 2nd draw and others this years immediately say not selected. It may be that people immediately take the hunt and therefore it doesn’t have time to go to 2nd drawing before we look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
              I�ve had some hunts say pending 2nd draw and others this years immediately say not selected. It may be that people immediately take the hunt and therefore it doesn�t have time to go to 2nd drawing before we look at it.

Well thats not it as last year someone else's said pending 2nd draw while mine was not selected for the same hunt

Comment

What are your guys thoughts on Richland Creek and Gus Engeling going to an E-postcard draw like Granger is now that would allow archery deer hunting most of the deer season? They have apparently sold a record # APH permits with the change this year requiring them to apply for the E-postcard hunts and may want to expand it next year to other WMA's. I'm all for more opportunity, I hate we lost RC and GE as type II land, been almost 20 years ago now and think this would be a good change.
                The deer quality has gone way up in both WMA's. It will be an opportunity for me to stick a buck of a lifetime this year. That ain't happening at Granger. I like it the way it is.

Comment

They have apparently sold a record # APH permits with the change this year requiring them to apply for the E-postcard hunts
                  I can see that the numbers would be up VS past years for the same time frame. But when it is all said and done for the year will the numbers actually be up? The hunters that usually buy just a license and APH before bow or rifle season may have just paid earlier and the numbers may not have changed much. We will see.

Comment

Anyone know if the Travis County Private Land Hunt is gun only or is archery also allowed?

Comment

This is the best year I've ever had on the draw hunts:
                      Alligator - JD Murphee wma
                      Archery WT Deer - Big Lake Bottom wma e-postcard
                      Archery Nilgai/WT Deer - Laguna Atascosa national wildlife refuge
                      Lots of goose eggs in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazeofCory View Post
                        Anyone know if the Travis County Private Land Hunt is gun only or is archery also allowed?

You'd just have to call the ranch and see. But I'm fairly certain they're going to want rifle only.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                          The deer quality has gone way up in both WMA's. It will be an opportunity for me to stick a buck of a lifetime this year. That ain't happening at Granger. I like it the way it is.
                          Whats not happening at Granger? The biggest free range deer I've ever seen in Texas was @ Granger.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 09-05-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                            This is the best year I've ever had on the draw hunts:
                            Alligator - JD Murphee wma
                            Archery WT Deer - Big Lake Bottom wma e-postcard
                            Archery Nilgai/WT Deer - Laguna Atascosa national wildlife refuge
                            Lots of goose eggs in the past.
                            Congratulations! Feels great to win instead of watch for a change

Comment

Whats not happening at Granger? The biggest free range deer I've ever seen in Texas was @ Granger, there have been some toads come out of there and recently.
                              There have been a couple for sure. Maybe I worded that incorrectly. I should have said, it's much less likely to stick the deer of a lifetime at Granger. The problem is, just too many durned hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cberry View Post
                                I was drawn for it last year and got my buck in the first 30 minutes of the hunt. A lot of good bucks were taken last year.
                                Nice! Any advice as per spots and such or sizes of bucks to look for and expect? Kiddo is 14 so he's going to want to shoot any decent looking deer I'm sure but I want to give him something to hunt for. We've duck hunted out there since forever but this will be the 1st deer hunt. Kiddo has access to 25-06 and 308, last year he was good only to 150 yards or so then groups start to suffer a bit. That concerns me a little, island seems like longer shots are likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X