Testosterone Replacement Therapy- My Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testosterone Replacement Therapy- My Journey

There is an article floating around the green screen that I read and it got me to thinking, "is having low T the reason why I've been feeling sluggish?" I'm 42 and I've resently, well, over a few years, have packed on some extra weight. A few years ago I was doing triathlons, but since then I've gone back to school while working full time and have had a change in career. I chalked it up to not having time to exercise and poor dieting. Well, since last year I've been trying to get back into shape, with no avail. I would maybe work out twice a week and I'd be dead tired. No motivation or energy. All I wanted to do was sit on my sofa and watch tv. I thought perhaps it was my thyroid so I got tested last year but my blood work came back normal. So I've been trying to work out on and off with no success. Then I read the article about TRT. Maybe that's what I'm suffering from, low T. I talked to a good buddy about it who is my age and a work out junky, and low and behold he tells me that he's been on it for a year now and absolutely loves it. So I made an appt with my PCP. I even did those few tricks the night before to help drop your T levels for a blood test (drink a lot, stay up as late as possible, ect...). Well, my test came back with a level of 285. Low, I knew it! Unfortunately we have Community First insurance (my wife gets our insurance through her work. She works for University Health System). My PCP does not do TRT and I asked him to refer me to a urologist. Till then, I someone on the GS recommended a Urologist. I gave them a call and they did not take my insurance, and out of pocket was going to be $350. And that didn't include any test! So I waited to hear from a urologist from my insurance. When they finally called, they said they didn't do TRT and that my PCP had to refer me to an endocrinologist. Ugh! Well, while I waited for that referral, my wife told me about a place right up,the street called synergen x that advertised TRT. So, I gave them a call and of course they said they don't take our insurance. So, I asked them how much it was going to be out of pocket. They said $50. What? $50? What does that include? She said,"every time you come in, it's always going to be $50. Wether you come in and have blood work done and a shot, or just a shot, it's always gonna be $50. Okay, so I went in today last minute since I was running around doing errands. Well, they were very friendly and informative, they took my blood, weighed me, and talked to be about TRT. Blood work took 30 min to get processed. It came back 300. So they started me on a 200ml shot and will get 180ml every week. And I only paid $50. Pretty dang good deal if you have to pay out of pocket. They will keep me at this dose for six weeks and recheck blood work to see if my dose need to be adjusted. Plus, they will have my estrogen level results back next week and they will give me an estrogen blocker if needed. So, I'm 5'10 240lbs. The weigh in results concluded that I was 65 lbs overweight and had a body fat percentage of 38%. Like I said, today was my first day. I will continue to give you guys updates. Here goes nothing!!
    Last edited by Efren; 11-28-2017, 11:18 PM.

More power to you and keep us informed

Comment

Find a oncologist that does the pellets. Lot easier I gave up on the shots it was just to much of a hassle and I do 7 shots a day for my diebites. Lol

Good luck and hope it all works

Comment

Find a knowledgeable physician who can monitor your blood work every few months initially, then every six months once you’re dialed in. I started the same way you did, but now for all the medications through a compounding pharmacy, I pay like $100 every 10 weeks, and I do it at home.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
          Find a knowledgeable physician who can monitor your blood work every few months initially, then every six months once you’re dialed in. I started the same way you did, but now for all the medications through a compounding pharmacy, I pay like $100 every 10 weeks, and I do it at home.
          That's a good deal for sure. Unfortunately because of our insurance I am limited to what drs I can see. Most are not accepting new pts or cannot be seen for months. I tried to get my PCP to just do some research and to give me a prescription but he didn't "feel comfortable" doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
            That's a good deal for sure. Unfortunately because of our insurance I am limited to what drs I can see. Most are not accepting new pts or cannot be seen for months. I tried to get my PCP to just do some research and to give me a prescription but he didn't "feel comfortable" doing that.
            I had to wait several months for the first appointment, but I went to the best in Houston. In the meantime keep doing what you’re doing. The medications I’ve found were just as cheap to pay cash , as to use my insurance.

Comment

Go ahead a make plan to give blood every couple of months or so. it'll help with your blood work numbers. And if you start working out don't be surprised at all when they reduce your shot amount. The less you can take the better.

Comment

About 7 years ago, I fell while riding my bicycle and unknowingly fractured my right radius (upper bone in your lower arm) near my elbow. The fracture would not heal, but fortunately, I wasn't experiencing any pain or real problems, so I held off on the surgery. I finally found a PMR (Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation) doctor who discovered I had low testosterone, low calcium, low Vitamin B and low Vitamin D levels. I took over-the-counter calcium replacements (Tums) and Vitamin D capsules. I used a compounded Vitamin B cream for a few months until my Vitamin B levels were within normal limits. I also started using Andro-Gel, which is a prescription testosterone gel that you use per your doctor's instructions. My doctor said that he liked using the gel as he thought is was more user friendly. Thankfully, my insurance plan (Blue Cross Blue Shield) covers the Andro-Gel, but it is pricey.

Good luck to you. Growing old ain't no fun, but it beats the alternative.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Dave, let me know how the Androgel works. I used that years ago and honestly had very little noticeable results so I gave it up. Plus the wife didn't like knowing that I had it on my arms/chest/etc. Guess she was afraid she would touch it and grow a mustache or something.

I have started with the shots now going on 2 months. Get a shot in upper thigh every 2 weeks. Noticeable results so far. Only thing I don't like is that long needle.

Efren, good luck with your TRT. Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Comment

Hi Quarterback:

I've been using the Andro-Gel for a couple of years now with good results. There have been reports of incidental transfer from one person to another, but I've been told that as long as the gel has dried, and has not been moistened (as in by sweat), there should not be any transfer. Thus, if you are still sexually active and want to avoid any inadvertent transfer, you'll have to plan accordingly - as in a shower before any sex, and then a shower afterwards when you can apply the Andro-Gel. My doctor said the pellets work well, but he had a few situations where they had to go in and remove them because of too much testosterone release (they generally make a small incision in your upper buttock and insert the testosterone pellets. I understand there is also an oral gel, but I've been told the taste is not pleasant. The injections are cheap and effective, but you're correct, they aren't fun. Thus, my doctor likes the Andro-Gel as it can be effective and easily applied. I use 4 pumps per day and apply it to the upper outer aspects of both arms and both thighs. I get a blood draw to check my testosterone levels about every 6 months, and so far, so good.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Andro-Gel did not work for me. My skin would not absorb the T, and my levels actually went down after being on it for a month. I went the pellet route and with the exception of 1 minor infection after the first round it was very simple and I did that for 2 years. This year my insurance changed from a PPO to a HRA and BCBS denied my claim.....get this....for the procedure to insert the pellets, not the actual pellets. I fought and fought, asked them how the hell I'm supposed to take the pellets without the procedure to insert them. They still denied it and I had to switch to weekly shots. I've been on the shots for 2 months now, doing .9 ML weekly.

Comment

curious if any of you guys that have gone to the doctor strictly for a T check have had a doctor tell you to try exercise and/or diet changes before going to TRT?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          curious if any of you guys that have gone to the doctor strictly for a T check have had a doctor tell you to try exercise and/or diet changes before going to TRT?
                          Before I changed PCP I was seeing a nurse practitioner. I told her about my symptoms and all she told me to do is exactly that. Try to exercise and diet. I told her I did, but was always tired. She said just keep at it. Heck with that! I knew something was wrong. Then I read the article here about TRT. So, I changed PCP to a dr instead of a NP and specifically told him what I wanted to be checked for. He was fine with that and supports me even though he does not prescribe that type of medication. Hopefully he can send me to an endocrinologist who prescribes it and I could have my insurance cover the meds. But till then, I'm sticking with what I'm doing now. They will also do blood work for me and adjust my doses accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                            Before I changed PCP I was seeing a nurse practitioner. I told her about my symptoms and all she told me to do is exactly that. Try to exercise and diet. I told her I did, but was always tired. She said just keep at it. Heck with that! I knew something was wrong. Then I read the article here about TRT. So, I changed PCP to a dr instead of a NP and specifically told him what I wanted to be checked for. He was fine with that and supports me even though he does not prescribe that type of medication. Hopefully he can send me to an endocrinologist who prescribes it and I could have my insurance cover the meds. But till then, I'm sticking with what I'm doing now. They will also do blood work for me and adjust my doses accordingly.
                            Dude, $50 for out of pocket for everything they are doing is WAY CHEAPER than what I'm paying with insurance. I'd just keep doing what you're doing there, unless you just want to see the endocrinologist.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              My testosterone levels were so ridiculously low that diet and exercise were not inadequate resolution. That's why I chose to go with the shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X