No announcement yet.

Eating Wild Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love cottontails. Lightly floured and pan fried in butter is my favorite. May have to shoot a couple this weekend now that I'm thinking about fried bunny!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      I’m pretty sure they are getting mixed up with orsters!
      Well the bay aint no cooler in September than August..

Comment

Ok do have none of y'all ever heard of rabbit fever? That is the real reason they say wait until after a freeze.

Tuleremia is the is the issue. It's a bacteria transmitted by ticks most often. The theory was rabbits with lots of ticks tend to die off after freeze cause they are weaker from the infection. They are already sick and harsh weather kills of the sick ones

I've heard intestinal parasites as well, and if you don't believe worm loads are worse in warm wet weather then you haven't raised many animals...

tularemia info

Comment

I used to hunt em as a kid and eat them. Great Grandmother also raised them to sell for Food, not pets, and we always had rabbit visiting her farm. I hunted in the summer during a drought near Seadrift area. I was a kid but did everything alone. Cleaning them there were many big worms under the skin. Lots of worms in their gut (tapeworms). I killed several that day. I was maybe 14 years old. Trashed em all. Never ate another wild rabbit. I will try almost anything. If I needed food would not hesitate. Wild was more tender than the raised ones? Always fried. Yes, taste great! Never tried a Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Well the bay aint no cooler in September than August..
            Its just easier than saying months with and R except September. Some folks gotta figure that out for themselves

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
              Cottontail is good , Jacks tough
              Don't eat a jack if it has over 100,000 miles on it . . I chewed on a fried Jack one time that was so tough I spit it out and my dog chewed on it and then he spit it out . . Dammit . .

It just means more . . much more . .

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
                An epidemiologist explained on The Meateater podcast that you wait until after the freeze because of the disease that ticks (I believe) carry. Check out episode 191 - Sicker Than Hell for clarification.

I’ve only had rabbit fried, but **** it was tasty. Not sure what type of rabbit it was though.
                Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                I thought the R month and First Freeze was debunked long ago. Just downloaded the Meateater Podcast to see what's changed
                I just finished the podcast. It was very interesting, and I recommend it. After listening to the doctor, contracting Tularemia from rabbits has nothing to do with the time of year. Rabbits do contract it from ticks, but they can have it any time of year so the "R" month or First Freeze has no merit.

Comment

Bot Fly's won't bother it either, just remove them! Great white meat fried!

Comment

Fried rabbit, homemade biscuits, ribbon cane syrup. My granny could flat cook that stuff when I stayed with her.

Some of my best memories. 10-12 years old. Single shot H&R 20 gauge. Head lamp. It was on! Then squirrel hunting the next morning.

Comment

I think it might be OK to admit that, in this case, the old timers are wrong. lol

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                        Never ever saw wolves in a deer and I've cleaned a bunch!
                        What about the nasal bots? Maybe not exactly the same thing but pretty similar. Ever since MeatEater got me to start saving tongues, I haven’t cut into a deer yet that didn’t have them. Back in October I picked a half-dozen out of a doe, ran out to the pond with my fishing gear and caught three catfish with them.

Comment

parasites

Originally posted by Freer View Post
                          I have killed a few that have had a parasite under the skin. Its a black grub that can be about as big as your thumb. Its pretty gross.
                          Back up north we called them warbles! We always waited till the first good freeze to hunt them also.

Comment

didn't know anyone ate jack rabbits ... eeuuuww.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              didn't know anyone ate jack rabbits ... eeuuuww.

Cmon Alice. Did you really say “euuuuw”?
                              Hope you don’t eat fast food. [emoji6][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yall, I just cooked 2 jack rabbits with onion, celery, carrots, and red wine. It is amazing! Definitely gonna have to make it again and take pics of the process.

I got the recipe from Meat Eater. https://www.themeateater.com/cook/re...guignon-recipe

I cooked it in the crock pot on low for 10 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X