Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your less than ideal (worst) weather conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other thread got me thinking...

What is the worst hunt weather-wise you can remember? I have 2 that come to mind.

First was in Bellville, TX in mid November.

Mid 80s in temperature and absolutely pouring rain. Mosquitoes were on me to the point of borderline insanity. I was in an uncovered tripod and I would've left, but there was a really nice buck about 400 yards from me on a doe on a neighbor's property, and I couldn't leave knowing it was possible they broke my way. Just all-around gross weather, and it was in a river bottom Johnson Grass field that got very, very muddy in rain. I ended up shooting the buck, but it was too muddy to drive my truck to him, so I dragged quarters of him 700 yards back to the truck. To make matters worse, I didn't realize he had dropped dead in a massive fireant mound and I got absolutely murdered while quartering him out. Just an awful experience.

For reference:

Buck I ended up killing (not worth it):

The second was in Burleson County in the Yegua bottoms. I was in a box blind in the middle of an open pasture where Yegua Creek sort of did a semi-circle around the pasture I was sitting, but the creek wasn't my property. My stand was the only structure standing for a few hundred yards. A storm blew in that was super intense, and though it never rained, the lightning was insane. Thunder was so loud it was deafening and it was right on me. I was scared being in the only tall structure in those bottoms with nothing surrounding me, but I was also scared to jump out and run with my rifle (metal) as it was about 300 yards uphill until I reached cover. I finally decided to chance it and hauled tail carrying like 50 lbs of gear. When I got to my truck up the hill, I was exhausted, and then heard laughter and looked over to see a hunting party on my neighbor's place drinking beer in a UTV. They had seen the entire thing and said I looked like Rambo running up that hill with my gun all decked out in camo.

Hunted in a coyote calling tournament last year when it was -15 out. To make matters worse I had a lot of layers on,the heater was cranked up so I was sweatin like a stuck hog which made it feel even colder. The first stand that morning I started calling when my stomach made a noise and I got that feeling that....you know....I was about to mess my coveralls. So I jump up,run back to the truck and by this time I'm in full panic mode and there was no tp to be found.

I got everything undone and rested one cheek on the running board of my buddies truck and I never felt so relieved in my life to get to a "bathroom." It was so cold on that running board I had a blood blister on my rear end where I almost froze to it. I ain't so sure I didn't leave a little skin behind. I didn't wanna take my socks off and stand in the snow with my bare feet so....I hunted without underwear the rest of the day.

I've hunted in some pretty bad weather but that was an all around bad experience.
    Last edited by okrattler; 10-26-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

The month of October

Comment

1. Severe weather
        2. Wind above 20mph
        3. Hot weather

Comment

Actually, now that you mention the cold, I have a 3rd entry. We were hunting 2000 acres in Bandera County a friend of mine was trying to sell. It had an old, unheated cabin on it, and I hadn't checked the forecast and had basically brought some normal hunting clothes and a comforter.

A big northern blew in that night and the next morning ended up being the coldest of that particular day in recorded history. It was 7 degrees when the sun came up and the high was 20. So cold it was painful, but mostly because I basically had sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and a light overcoat. Just awful. Shot a doe that day. More out of anger than desire.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            The month of October

Yup. That’s why I don’t get excited about archery only season. It’s just too dang hot.

Not only do you have to fight bugs, but the heat just makes it miserable and severely limits your time to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hot or windy weather is always the worst but coldest is the most memorable.

I duck hunted in Charlotte on mountain island lake when it was 7 degrees. My hunting partners bailed so I went out by myself packing a bag of decoys and had to walk a mile to the hunting spot wearing waders. After breaking the ice I set out the decoys and didn't fire a shot. After a couple of hrs I walked back and my feet were ice cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Black Ice; 10-26-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X