Semi Live Lake Meredith Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
    Don’t know if I’ll be much help there. We were hiking in from the south and it’s so **** thick we ran out of steam about half way to Evans. Lake isn’t this far south and I couldn’t see the water from here either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok cool deal. Good luck and let me know if you ever do see where the water is at. A buddy and I were out there 2 years ago and we hiked into evens from the north. We parked just south of Blue West area. When we got to evans there were 6 guys driving deer through the canyon on horse back. They kinda ruined hunting in that canyon for 2 days or so. We were pretty bummed.

Comment

We went one canyon over for the evening hunt.

Comment

It’s nice and windy out. Supposed to drop to the twenties tonight. Glad I brought lots of layers.

Comment

Looks like the water goes down to Evans. Maybe. Hard to tell exactly. But there is water in the river, so all else fails you could park a boat or canoe pretty close and hike in. A whole lot closer than where we started, haha

Comment

Maybe its just the picture but that canyon doesn't look like the vegetation is to high.
            Hope y'all pitched your tents out if the wind!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

See any ducks flying?

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                Maybe its just the picture but that canyon doesn't look like the vegetation is to high.
                Hope y'all pitched your tents out if the wind!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

That’s the far canyon from the one we glassed this morning. And the vegetation closer to the lake where we were hiking was pretty bad. It’s why we stopped. That and I overpacked and dragging that sled was a beast. We have two different game plans for next time. Either get a boat/canoe and come into Evans from the water, or drop our gear at the top of the ridge, park the car down at the parking lot then hike the ridge tops over to Evans.

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                  See any ducks flying?

Not really close to the lake or river, so haven’t really been in ducky territory.

Comment

I've gone into Evans from the North in the past!
                    It's a real hike, but is doable.

I don't think I have that kind of hike in me anymore, especially if I am packing a deer back!

Good luck and send more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                      I've gone into Evans from the North in the past!
                      It's a real hike, but is doable.

I don't think I have that kind of hike in me anymore, especially if I am packing a deer back!

Good luck and send more pics.
                      He is right park at the loop south of Blue West and hike the tops to Evans or drop down and cut across martins canyon then back up to get to Evans. It will save you at least a mile. As tempting as it maybe DO NOT hop that fence to cut off some of your hike. The land owner to the north of where you are is getting SERIOUS about nailing trespassers.
                      Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-27-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Wow. My brother and I hunted 4th and Evans 3 weeks ago. The vegetation looks totally different than when we were there. It looked like spring time it was so green.

Comment

Not seeing any movement this morning. I’m hearing multiple shots at once, which I’m guessing is bird hunters. Heard one loud lone shot which I think was a rifle shot. That’s it so far.

Comment

[QUOTE=ElCid07;12867751]Not seeing any movement this morning. I’m hearing multiple shots at once, which I’m guessing is bird hunters. Heard one loud lone shot which I think was a rifle shot. That’s it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes, the multiple shots, are typically quail hunters, not sure if quail season is open yet, maybe duck or dove hunters. When I was first up there and heard lots of shots, I first thought was someone just bored and blasting something. Which I did find a tree full of bullet holes on the last trip. But it seems most of the shots were quail hunters. After a while of trying to figure the deer out and hearing quail hunters for days, I decided to do some quail hunting. Did not see one quail, while quail hunting in the areas, that I had previously found multiple coveys in, while deer hunting. But when walking in many areas, I jumped many covey of quail, while deer hunting. I know of a few places that always have multiple covey of quail, actually usually, not always. Not after they have been chased for days. I found after the quail hunters have been in there chasing them for two or three days, they are all up on the tops, right along the edge of the cliffs. When you jump them, they fly down the sides of the cliffs. Smart birds. I could see a dumb dog committing suicide, going after some of those coveys.

Comment

The first year I was out there, there were some guys, on horses, riding all over the place, they were making sure they went up and down every hill and down in the bottom of every canyon and gully. Everywhere I went, I either saw them or saw horse tracks. did not see a singe deer, the days those guys were out there. I watched them for hours, through binoculars. I could not see any rifle scabbards on their horses or pistols in holsters. They did not seem to have any guns. I saw them for two days straight. Then at the end of the second day, I saw them ride down a road, that goes to a neighboring ranch. The gate to that ranch is locked, I checked later. They went through that gate. So my thinking is they were out there for the purpose of scaring off deer and chasing them over to their ranch. The other reason I am sure, that's what they were up to, is I topped a hill a couple of times and saw them not far from me and tried to talk to them, each time, they rode away from and acted like they did not see me.

Comment

[quote=RifleBowPistol;12867880]
                                Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
                                Not seeing any movement this morning. I’m hearing multiple shots at once, which I’m guessing is bird hunters. Heard one loud lone shot which I think was a rifle shot. That’s it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes, the multiple shots, are typically quail hunters, not sure if quail season is open yet, maybe duck or dove hunters. When I was first up there and heard lots of shots, I first thought was someone just bored and blasting something. Which I did find a tree full of bullet holes on the last trip. But it seems most of the shots were quail hunters. After a while of trying to figure the deer out and hearing quail hunters for days, I decided to do some quail hunting. Did not see one quail, while quail hunting in the areas, that I had previously found multiple coveys in, while deer hunting. But when walking in many areas, I jumped many covey of quail, while deer hunting. I know of a few places that always have multiple covey of quail, actually usually, not always. Not after they have been chased for days. I found after the quail hunters have been in there chasing them for two or three days, they are all up on the tops, right along the edge of the cliffs. When you jump them, they fly down the sides of the cliffs. Smart birds. I could see a dumb dog committing suicide, going after some of those coveys.

Opening weekend of duck season up there today.

Comment

Working...
                                X