No announcement yet.

Putting a Dog Down (having issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Chuy....it’s never easy to do the right thing. I’m about to have to do this again as well. Again, sorry buddy.

Comment

I know how hard this is for you having done it a few times. If I lived closer I would do it for you. Let her know that you love her and will see her soon.

Comment

I have had to make that hard decision on everyone of my pets, most recently last Thanksgiving with my 15 year old lab. I like to pick their favorite 3 things to do, when they can no longer do 2 of them that is when I call it. This last time was a little different. It turned out that my lab had cancer everywhere (legs, spine, liver, spleen and lungs) that we did not notice until it was too late. He had a very large boney lesion in his forearm that was at risk to break at any point in time. I refused to make him go through the pain of breaking a leg just for my selfish need to keep him around. He made it about 3 weeks from diagnosing him to the day we decided it was time. He became incontinent which was embarrassing for him, was slowing down and having trouble getting up due to the tumor in his spine. I worry that it may have been too soon but I would rather that then make him go through even more pain.

It is the most selfless act we can give them for their lifetime of love they have given us. From what you are saying I don't there is a time that will be too soon.

Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
          Ya that's what's going on right now, but in her lower jaw.

Made her a slab of fajitas for lunch.

We are spending the afternoon on the porch, watching TV and catching up on some cuddles.

looks like a heck of a way to spend her last day with you. She knows shes loved. No doubt she had the best life being a part of your family. prayers up for you and yours

Comment

My in-laws just had to put there 12 yr lab down due to lymphoma gave her meds for a few weeks but no longer eating and lost a bunch of weight. sad deal but when you see them hurting just it is time. I got my chocolate lab a few months before theirs, hard to think about when its my decision to make the call. sorry for ya buddy sure is sad.

Comment

Sorry you’re in this spot. Hope you find peace with the decision and know you gave her a good life.

Comment

In my life on this earth, I have lost several dogs. A few to the highway, a few to old age, and ONE to having to put her down. It was the hardest thing for me to do. Her kidneys were in full failure at 13 yrs old. She couldn't move, wouldn't eat or drink. Vet said it was the most humane thing to do. I tried to get her to move around and at least walk and drink water for hours that day. In the end, my heart said it was time. I carried this lil black lab in her kennel into the vets office, they took us immediately back to the room. The minute the kennel opened, she got up and walked around then came sat beside me. when the vet came in, my dog was friendly, and and just looked at me to say, " Dad, it's okay." She layed down and and went to sleep.

(Even now this still gets to me. Where is that guy cutting onions...) The vet gave her a sedative, and then the follow up.

In the end, I know it was Right, and that I did right by the dog, but I don't ever want to have to do that again. The vet took a cast of her paw print, and they molded her ashes into the plaster for that print. I wasn't been able to go pick it up. It is still too raw. My son ended up getting it and has it on the wall.

Stay strong OP, and when you heart tells you it is time, do it. Walk away knowing that the rainbow bridge is there, and you sent your pup across for the right reasons. We humans are stewards of this earth and all that dwell upon it. We are the one's who have domesticated these animals and we get to love them for a short time. That pup loved me with everything she has, as I am sure yours does you. It sucks, it is hard, and just know that it is a peaceful way to send that pup on to the bridge so it can cross. I know I owed mine that.
                Last edited by harv418; 11-05-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  Give the dog every possible chance you can. If you don’t, you’ll always have regret. We don’t make the choice to “put grandpa down” when he gets old and in bad shape. Why do we do it when it comes to dogs? Do all you can and keep her comfortable. Let things happen naturally.
                  We don't put grandpa down cause our quality of life will be pretty much in the toilet living in the penal system, if I was in the same shape as my lacy was this summer I'd be honored to go the way he did, looking out over the hunting field laying next to loved ones wishing we were going again.

Comment

Im 64 years old and have never had a problem putting down anything until my Max after 17 years had to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I held him until the end and It was the worst day of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                      There are some services that will come to your home and do it. We did this and it relieved our dogs stress of going to a vets office. He passed in our home with his family there.

Not to mention crying like a baby walking out into the front lobby. I’m going to have it done at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        Not to mention crying like a baby walking out into the front lobby. I’m going to have it done at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Vet should be here in about 30. Kicking everyone out too. Just me and G and the vet.

Comment

Chuy, I was thinking about you this morning. Hugs and prayers buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            It's not a decision anyone wants to make but it's our responsibility as pet owners. At least that way you are holding them as they go to sleep and not dying in pain alone while you are at work.

Gary
                            this. sorry to hear about your dog.

Comment

15 is a good run. I lost a dog unexpectedly two weeks ago, and she was 12. It’s the worst part about having a dog, but having them is worth the pain

Comment

Sorry Chuy... hope all is OK this am...

not much better in this world than a good dog. Sadly they don’t live long enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X