Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
    yesss sir Im buddys with all your sons
    Ok. I thought so. Glad to see you on TBH. Disregard all the sarcasm. It's not you.... Rage threads have been stirring up the crowd for years. Keep on hunting. I've messed up every way possible that you can when it comes to bowhunting. If you have any questions, send me a PM. Elevated shots are not the easiest to make. You need to practice from elevation, not just standing on the ground in your yard.

Go out at noon one day and put up a target and shoot from your stand. It will show your weaknesses and end up making you more confident. Don't draw your bow with the arrow/bow pointing toward the ground. Point it perfectly level like your standing on the ground, get your anchor points, and then bend at the waist (don't drop your arms or move anything else). Just bend forward at the waist maintaining your anchor points.

Aim for the exit hole. Don't just aim at the usual spot as if you were on the ground. Visualize the arrow going in at the downward angle from your stand and then visualize where that arrow is going to exit if you hit where you aiming. Often times you are aiming too low when you're elevated and you only get one lung going in and it exits out of the chest cavity.

Comment

Lost a Spike on Rage

If it was quartering to you, your entrance shot should of been toward the front of the shoulder. I would not want to take that shot with a rage. If it entered behind the shoulder you might of missed lungs on a quartering to you shot. I like quartering away shots. Some will disagree. I don’t use mechs either. Gotten lots of heart shots with that angle. I aim for opposite shoulder. Keep on slinging em. Nothing compares to Bowhunting.
      Last edited by AndyTX; 10-30-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Ok. I thought so. Glad to see you on TBH. Disregard all the sarcasm. It's not you.... Rage threads have been stirring up the crowd for years. Keep on hunting. I've messed up every way possible that you can when it comes to bowhunting. If you have any questions, send me a PM. Elevated shots are not the easiest to make. You need to practice from elevation, not just standing on the ground in your yard.

Go out at noon one day and put up a target and shoot from your stand. It will show your weaknesses and end up making you more confident. Don't draw your bow with the arrow/bow pointing toward the ground. Point it perfectly level like your standing on the ground, get your anchor points, and then bend at the waist (don't drop your arms or move anything else). Just bend forward at the waist maintaining your anchor points.

Aim for the exit hole. Don't just aim at the usual spot as if you were on the ground. Visualize the arrow going in at the downward angle from your stand and then visualize where that arrow is going to exit if you hit where you aiming. Often times you are aiming too low when you're elevated and you only get one lung going in and it exits out of the chest cavity.
        yes sir, ive been working on the aiming for the exit that was the first deer ive shot at ever with a bow. I keep trying to always become a better shot I feel confident in my abilitys especially from that distance. but I do admit I need to practice more from an elevated postion and prob with a 3d target to get that aiming for exit down better. I will always continue to hunt its therapy for me. it really upset me I lost him its one of the sickest feelings ive had. I wasn't trying to upset anyone who uses rage on here lol. its hard to find good info on BH's seems like everyone uses something diff and they think its the best bc it works for them. what do you shoot bobby?

Comment

Originally posted by fishndude View Post
          popcorn!!! Get your popcorn here!!
          😁

Comment

I was elevated in a climber 23 yard shot behind the shoulder slightly quarted towards me saw where it hit him. the only thing I can assume it hit the back shoulder. I realize I shouldn't have hit the shoulder I wasn't aiming for it but wouldn't there be blood from the entry wound?? like I said the arrow was soaked up three inches too the fletching. and im not knocking anyone who uses rage if it works for you it works for you. It was a fred bear element handed down to me from my dad split limb single cam 300 fps.
            Another thing to think about is if you plan to bow hunt alot more is to always have a number to someone with a dog. Even if it's a spike or a doe and you dont want to fork over the cash for an experienced dog there is usually someone near by that has a decent dog that won't charge more than the fuel it takes to get to you. Call the dog BEFORE spend hours tracking up the area though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm shooting slicktrick 100 magnums. I started elk hunting a few years back and needed a strong fixed blade. Killed a bunch of hog and deer with them. No elk yet!

Comment

I’m not a Rage fan, heck I’m not even a mechanical fan but here is what I see.

You too a low percentage shot.

High entry due to elevation and no exit means no blood until body fills up.

None of this is the fault of the head.

Change heads if you want but also weed through the snide remarks on this thread and pull out the good constructive criticism, learn from mistakes and you will be a better bow hunter.

Comment

Quartering towards, hit behind the onside shoulder, decent blood on arrow, no blood after that on ground... dead animal 400 yards away. I bet you hit liver.

This is exactly (except the angle) what happened to me recently on a liver shot hog. I hadn't really appreciated the liver shot until then. Liver blood is dark and it is thick. If you cut a fresh liver, you'd see how much blood comes out of one. It tends to soak what it comes into contact with... but... it doesn't cause major hemorrhaging (bleed out) like an major artery or anything like that, where the heart pumps it out till it runs dry. You often end up with a "decent" trail that dries up quickly after finding the broken off arrow. The arrow works as a dripper for the cut liver/blood, until it is gone.

A liver shot animal will die... it will just take time and they can go a long way on a liver shot before bedding down. Liver shots can be deceiving because again, you get great blood which makes you think you made a good shot... but you were just a tad back to far.

Regarding broadhead... My first deer was a with a mechanical... had a very similar story as far as non recovered and vultures found her 300 yards away. Different circumstances, but still - I thought about the broadhead. I don't like mechanicals because they fold back on themselves. Mine slipped out. I'd rather have had it jammed up in her cavity, continuing to cut while she ran... maybe she would not have ran so far.

But regardless of what you see on TV, deer are not big bags of blood... and a rage isn't just going to make them bleed when they otherwise would not bleed much. A blood trail doesn't guarantee a recovery... and lack of blood trail doesn't mean the critter isn't dead 100 yards away. I've recovered plenty of critters without a blood trail, you just have to learn post shot behavior and be aware of what is going on after the shot.

Live, learn, pay attention to the good advice you get, move on.

Comment

Aim for the exit hole. Don't just aim at the usual spot as if you were on the ground. Visualize the arrow going in at the downward angle from your stand and then visualize where that arrow is going to exit if you hit where you aiming. Often times you are aiming too low when you're elevated and you only get one lung going in and it exits out of the chest cavity.[/QUOTE]

^^^This

Comment

very slightly not even close to 45 degree
                      Live and learn! Only way to become a good bowhunter is to get out there and do it. You will with 100% certainty make mistakes along the way. Its a fun rewarding process learning what you like, and gaining confidence in your equipment. Listen to people's advise and learn what works best for you!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        I’m not a Rage fan, heck I’m not even a mechanical fan but here is what I see.

You too a low percentage shot.

High entry due to elevation and no exit means no blood until body fills up.

None of this is the fault of the head.

Change heads if you want but also weed through the snide remarks on this thread and pull out the good constructive criticism, learn from mistakes and you will be a better bow hunter.

yes sir thank you

Comment

I was elevated in a climber 23 yard shot behind the shoulder slightly quarted towards me saw where it hit him. the only thing I can assume it hit the back shoulder. I realize I shouldn't have hit the shoulder I wasn't aiming for it but wouldn't there be blood from the entry wound?? like I said the arrow was soaked up three inches too the fletching. and im not knocking anyone who uses rage if it works for you it works for you. It was a fred bear element handed down to me from my dad split limb single cam 300 fps.
                          Sounds like you know what happened and why the deer did not go down within a short distance. I've shot Rages since about 2005. Never lost a deer with one, but have lost pigs. I never shoot at anything quartering to me. I'm just not that good of a shot. This deer was taken a couple of weeks ago. 18 yards, perfectly broadside with a 10 year old Rage that was a passthrough. Went about 60 yards. Nothing wrong with Rages, but they aren't bone breakers and don't like shoulders.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            I'm shooting slicktrick 100 magnums. I started elk hunting a few years back and needed a strong fixed blade. Killed a bunch of hog and deer with them. No elk yet!
                            good luck! the adrenaline I get while bowhunting vs rifle hunting is a different level im addicted I just pray I don't loose anymore deer that's a sick feeling. you put all that time, work, money effort sit and sit to wait for your opportunity and it doesn't go your way either bad shot or broadhead idk I agree with everyone it wasnt aperfect shot bc if it was I woulda had an exit wound but I don't think it was a terrible shot just wished I woulda had a blood trail to recover him in time. I guess its a lesson learned the hard way which is something I unfortunately am too familiar with in all aspect of life.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                              Sounds like you know what happened and why the deer did not go down within a short distance. I've shot Rages since about 2005. Never lost a deer with one, but have lost pigs. I never shoot at anything quartering to me. I'm just not that good of a shot. This deer was taken a couple of weeks ago. 18 yards, perfectly broadside with a 10 year old Rage that was a passthrough. Went about 60 yards. Nothing wrong with Rages, but they aren't bone breakers and don't like shoulders.
                              yes sir lesson learned

Comment

As someone who owned a bowhunting ranch and a very talented dog, It matters very little what head you shoot. It is all about hitting them in the lungs and getting both lungs.

I have started hunting with a compound due to wore out shoulders and have been shooting both spit fires and rage. I can't remember the last time I had an animal make it out of my sight before it went down.

Comment

Working...
                                X