Question about brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about brisket

Well I started a brisket last night around 1am in my MES and I use a combination of lump charcoal in the tray and the amazn pellet tray. At about 330 I woke to check on the smoke and it was bellowing out of the top like it should. When I woke up at 9 this morning she’s doing great temp wise but I opened the door to check on everything and realized that I forgot to put some foil above the pellets to keep the drippings from putting the smoke out and it looks like it did just that. I think I may have gotten a good three hours, possibly more out of the smoke. I’m irritated cause it was a rookie mistake and though the bark looked okay (it wasn’t black like I’m used to but it was fairly dark) I started up the pellet tray again just to see if it would help in any way. What say the smokers here?? Smart? Brandon? Think I got enough smoke time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be just fine. You got plenty of good smoke on it at the very beginning and that's what matters most.

Comment

Ok. It’s been on about 10.5 hours and I’m wrapping it now to push it past 180*. It’s been at 180* since about 7 this morning so I suppose it’s stalled at a higher temp than normal lol. Usually it hits the stall at 170* in this particular smoker. I’ll post pics afterwords.

Comment

I hope you have better luck than me. After ruining 3 I called it quits.... I never got past newbie brisket cooker.

Comment

I’ve never been able to get the bark in my electric like you do with a stick burner. Flavor was still good just not the heavy bark like I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Turn the temp up to finish it. It won’t hurt it

Comment

If your getting pressed for time wrap her up and throw in oven. You already have your smoke.

Comment

Well how'd it come out? Threads worthless without photos.

Me I'm a traditional smoker and prefer stick burners.

Comment

At some point I’ll buy a traditional smoker. I got this as a gift so I could learn how to cook with smoke. I’ve loved it so far. It’s done but I’m out running an errand that hopefully won’t take much longer. Then I’ll post pics!!

Comment

Hard to get dark smoke ring from electric. That said I can get better flavor and cook as temp never changes.

Comment

Comment

Uhh. It’s awesome.

Comment

Did you take any more pics? Curious what kind of smoke ring you got with the pellet tray? I use that for my summer sausage, but never would've thought it'd put out enough smoke to get any kind of ring for brisket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s never been a good smoke ring on any of my briskets from the MES. It’s not the pellet tray, it’s the smoker since it’s electric. It cooks it SUPER tender and juicy and it’s got a fantastic bark with just salt and pepper but not a deep red ring.

Comment

Incase someone’s wondering here’s my setup. Cost me $200.

Comment

Working...
                              X