Finally got an Axis buck with the bow and arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got an Axis buck with the bow and arrow

Its been a long year and lots of time in the field trying to get an axis buck with my bow. We have axis all over the place, but with them not going to feeders and the ranch being a cattle and goat ranch its been a difficult time getting into bow range. I've had countless encounters stalking them and getting into bow range, but for one reason or another just haven't been able to connect. Well that all changed this past week and finally connected on a nice buck. Did a little write up on the hunt below.

We have a rather large pecan tree on the ranch with a water trough under it and a stand high up in it. On Wednesday last week I got into the stand around 6:15pm. Got all situated and was sitting down taking in the view. There are many shooting holes for this tree and only really one area that you can't see and thats directly behind the tree. About 20 minutes in I hear a thump behind me and I turn to look and there he is just feeding on my hand corn at 12 yards facing me. This shooting lane happen to be the only one that was mostly open with no cover so I couldn't do too much. I sat there watching him feed for about 1.5 minutes thinking about what to do. He then starts to walk away and so I start to make my move to stand up and then he turned around to walk back in. Still wasn't able to get my bow and right when he got back to the corn he turned around and started walking off again. This time he didn't turn back around and made his way away from me. I thought that was the end of it, but what he did was went about 70 yards and circled around to in front of me and decided to lay down under a mesquite.
    I watched him laying there for about an hour and finally had a whitetail come in to feed on the hand corn. I knew with sometime this axis wasn't going to like this whitetail feeding on his corn. After about 20-30 minutes he finally gets up and feeds around some. I stood up to get ready in case he came in and then it finally happened. He started walking my way and I got my bow ready. The whitetail buck ran off as the axis was coming in. Everything was perfect with a big trunk and branches blocking his view so I drew back my bow. He stepped out right at 12 yards and started eating the corn. After holding the draw for about 30-40 seconds he finally turned broadside and I released the arrow. He took off and I knew I made a great shot when I heard his lungs filling up with blood after only a couple steps away from the shot. He ran into the field and made it only 70 yards from the shot. Was a very memorable hunt and was able to get him on video some as well. He only weighed out at 170 pounds, but had 30 1/4" and 29 1/4" main beams and a beautiful hide with great white spots along the spine. Decided to mount him in the sneak position so that there is a better view of his black stripe.
    Attached Files

Great story and Axis. Congratulations

Comment

That's awesome! Great write up and great buck!

Comment

Well done. Bucket list item for me.

Comment

Congrats, great write up, Nice buck, good eatin

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful buck!

Comment

Very cool! Got my first doe with a bow last year but still haven't gotten an axis buck with a bow!

Comment

Nice congrats on a beautiful buck !!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats and great story!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Good for you! Nice buck!

Comment

Congrats!