Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 03-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #351
Rwc
Pope & Young

Success!

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #352
kmack
Six Point

Hunt In: ??

New oven mitts?
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Elect.../dp/B00547HD90
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #353
wlee15
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post

Exactly what I need!!!! thanks!
wlee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #354
wlee15
Six Point

Well Covid-19 has been a struggle and I hope everyone is doing well. I have been lucky enough to get out to the ranch two out of the last 3 weekends.

Three weeks ago my son and I brought along my friend Chad and his son JD ans well as Andy's son Koby. Because of all the rain we focused on getting the existing piles of trees burned and clearing out other areas. First we burned existing piles, and even though the ground was still really wet it is amazing how quickly the pile went from a small fire to fully engulfed (pic1) On Friday afternoon we couldn't get the chainsaw to run so we had to stop for the day.

Saturday morning we headed into Rocksprings and purchased a new chainsaw and a ax from Lowes. When we returned to the ranch we couldn't get the brand new one to start either. We pulled and pulled on that **** thing for about 2 hours. While Chad and I messed with the chainsaws the boys decided to use the ax. There was a old dead cedar tree in a clump of oaks that JD and My son decided to work the ax on. The base of the tree was about 8-10" and hard as hell. They worked and worked on it and finally got it to come down! (pic 2) We never got the new chainsaw started but we were finally able to get the old one running and cut out about 50 cedars (pic 3) We stacked and burned those right away. After that we enjoyed a cold one or two that evening by the fire.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #355
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

looks like 1/2 a good time 1/2 some darn hard work cutting cedars! looks good.

p.s. nice look with socks and flip flops on!
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #356
wlee15
Six Point

Last weekend My Son, Koby, Andy and I went out to try to get some more work done inside.

The weekend before a purchased a Yamaha Grizzly 660 from a neighbor at the ranch. It needed a new battery so I brought a new one with me. Friday we installed it and the sucker started right up (pic 1)

Saturday we started early and began working on the interior walls. We got the master bedroom wall on the living room side completed with tong and groove cedar on the top and rusty corrugated wainscoting. (pic 2) We had to install furring strips to the 3" posts on the exterior walls because the insulation was too thick. We were able to get the front living room wall and 1/3 of the East living room wall completed with plywood skinning. (pics 3-6) Before skinning we installed electrical wiring for the light switches etc inside the insulated walls (pic7). I was really pleased with the progress and fell that the interior finish out will go pretty fast!

Due to the oil prices one of my neighbors who owns a company that does work for the oil companies came to me. He wants to keep all of his guys employed, and asked if there were any projects that he could have them do for me. I have planned to build another metal building to act as the hang out area so the cabin could be used for sleeping and relaxing. I wanted to create a building that looked like a saloon. I told him what I wanted and he gave me a heck of a deal on creating the structure and roof only (no walls or floors as i want to do that myself) The cost was barely more than I can buy the materials for, so I said heck yes! Pic 8 is a drawing I made on what the Saloon building will look like eventually. They will be done with the structure as I asked them to this week. I will be going out there this weekend coming up to continue on the interior finish-out.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #357
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced-2-work View Post
looks like 1/2 a good time 1/2 some darn hard work cutting cedars! looks good.

p.s. nice look with socks and flip flops on!
That is my son! He can be an idiot sometimes.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #358
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Good stuff
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #359
BubRay
Four Point

Hunt In: Albany

Yessir!!! Awesome.
BubRay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #360
DirkDiggler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Collin County

this has been great to follow along!
DirkDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #361
dstrong
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Caught up.... Amazing build... Congrats to you and some very quality craftsmanship.
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #362
wlee15
Six Point

The last two weekends we have went out to ranch and got a lot done. The weekend before last my son and I went alone and got the rest of the living room skinned with plywood. (pic 1) Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures when we were done.

This Past weekend (5-2-2020) we had a full crew. Andy and his son, my son and his friend Miles, Chad and his son and myself. First we had to make a stop in Del Rio to pickup a new side by side from Del Rio Power Sports. I bought a Can Am Defender Max HD8 with the ranch package! Man this thing is nice! (pics 2&3)

We also brought some more plywood and new kitchen wall cabinets. Friday afternoon we installed the kitchen wall cabinets and set the kitchen counter in place. We just installed a piece of plywood on top for right now, we will put concrete or granite counter-tops in later. (Pic 4)

On Saturday we concentrated on the guest bedroom. We installed the furring strips and plywood up first, then installed the cedar tongue and grove to 2 of the walls. The other two walls will be old fence boards. (pics 5-8) Saturday afternoon we worked on clear more cedar trees around the property.

I sold my 5th wheel trailer that we were using to sleep in before I dried in the cabin. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor at the ranch that needed one. We no longer have a truck with a 5th wheel connection and nor did they. So we improvised and used a backhoe to move it. (pics 9- 10)

Sunday we worked on the master bedroom. We installed the furring strips, plywood and Cedar tongue and groove on all the walls. (Pics 11-16)

All in all we have made a lot of progress inside the cabin. I am hoping to get out there again the next two weekends to get all the lighting installed and a temporary solar array.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #363
fordsuper08
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo , East Texas

man that is going to be a nice place can't wait to see how the Saloon turns out
fordsuper08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #364
Tsnow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes Co. / Junction TX

Awesome build.
Tsnow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #365
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Weren't you going to add Solar? I'll be following along to see more of what you are doing.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #366
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Just out of curiosity, why did you put plywood on the firing strips? why not just nail the tongue & groove to the firing strips?

The place looks great and you're going to have a great cabin once you're done!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #367
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
Weren't you going to add Solar? I'll be following along to see more of what you are doing.
Yes the cabin will be solar powered. There will be a couple of outlets for high AMP devices that will run on Generator when needed like the Air conditioner and toaster. I do expect to have to run the generator a few hours in the heat of Summer at night but so far these last 3 years we have not HAD to have AC. luckily having the cabin at the top of the hell gives it great cross winds and the breeze in the cabin makes it feel very cool and almost cold by morning.

For the solar I will have 3 180 watt solar panels on the cabin, 1 30 watt on the shower house and 1 180 watt on Saloon.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #368
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you put plywood on the firing strips? why not just nail the tongue & groove to the firing strips?

The place looks great and you're going to have a great cabin once you're done!
You are absolutely correct I could have nailed to the fir strips. I just wanted to keep the exterior wall thickness the same throughout the cabin. the plywood is just one more layer of insulation. On the interior walls I nailed directly to the studs.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #369
wlee15
Six Point

It has been quite a while since I have last posted here. I have done a few things more to the cabin since the last time.

I added two 2'x2' windows in the loft to help keep it cooler. pics 1-2

I added a cotton seed feeder to my feed pen and added Chaffhaye to my hay feeder (trying this for the first time) pics 3&4

I refurbished 2 hanging feeder to be set out at a later date (have to build feed pens first) pic 5

I FINALLY have axis deer on camera! pics 6-8

I have made some other minor additions to the cabin like a portable Air conditioner, Mirror in bath house as well. I also borrowed my neighbors backhoe and was able to clear out a new drive way to the east of the cabin.

Made a trip out two weeks ago with the wife again. It was a great weekend. She is now all in with making the ranch a more enjoyable place! That is both good and bad. Good news is that I get more $$ for doing projects, bad thing is that she is piling on more projects! The first thing she wants me to do after I get the inside completely finished is add on to the East side deck. Right now it is uncovered and only about 4' wide. She wants it to be at least 12' wide with a cover. This will be all Shaded in the mid afternoon and get excellent southern breezes in the summer. She wants to make that the outdoor dining area. I have created a master plan for the entire project. It will probably take another year or so to get all these things done. pic 9 (up in the picture is South)

This last weekend I went by myself and added a water trough to the feed pen. it was a fun project to work on but it was pretty hard work. I think it turned out nice, we will see if it all works correctly after a few weeks. Pics 10-14
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #370
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Things have progressed, indeed! There is a heck of a lot of hard work and planning that has gone into this. Very impressive!

Thanks for continuing to take us along for the journey.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #371
RiverBend
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Great skills and dedication.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #372
wlee15
Six Point

Had a productive weekend at the ranch. I purchased a bundle of cedar 1x4x4 planks from a local mill. The bundle had approximately 550 boards in it. The cost was $440.00. We we able to get the entire living room completely skinned. Originally we were going to have a wainscoting of rusty tin, But the cedar looked so go I decided to just make the wainscoting out of cedar putting those boards vertical. We cut down a smaller board to 2" for a boarder piece. This piece will be stained in walnut while the rest of the wall will be kept natural with a semi gloss finish. We also removed the welded kitchen lower units and installed wood based lowers, finishing the ends with the same cedar running vertically. Last we trimmed out the corners with 45 degree cedar trimming.

The back splash for the kitchen will be rusty tin to tie in the accent wall to the bedrooms. Granite counter tops will finish the kitchen cabinetry.

Next weekend I will install the window and door trim, and stain the doors Walnut. I am debating on what color to use for the cabinets. I am thinking of staining the cabinets to match the accent border and doors in walnut. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #373
Rwc
Pope & Young

Been following this thread since the very beginning. You continue to knock it out of the park.

Appreciate you sharing.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #374
wlee15
Six Point

My Son and I went to the ranch this past weekend. We are really starting to get some momentum; The inside of the cabin is really coming along. We accomplished the following:
1) Made screens for the windows.
2) Stained the Chair-rail border and the Doors Walnut Brown.
3) installed window trim on 7 of the 9 Windows.
4) installed front and side door interior trim and door jams.
5) finished the Loft interior plywood siding.

On Friday and Saturday night we both got to see the Neowise Comet. It was visible right after sundown to the north west just below the big dipper.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #375
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Really coming along. That loft will really add room.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #376
gonzojul
Nubbin' Buck

Awesome. Looking Great
gonzojul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #377
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

I love this thread!
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #378
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Still following. Coming along nicely. Well done, sir.
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #379
gonzojul
Nubbin' Buck

I'm getting some ideas for my cabin.
gonzojul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #380
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojul View Post
I'm getting some ideas for my cabin.
TBH is a great place to get ideas and advice. I can't tell you how much I have learned from other threads and such. If you have any questions I am happy to share my experiences. There are a few things that I would have done different to make things easier and faster.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #381
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee15 View Post
Well Covid-19 has been a struggle and I hope everyone is doing well. I have been lucky enough to get out to the ranch two out of the last 3 weekends.

Three weeks ago my son and I brought along my friend Chad and his son JD ans well as Andy's son Koby. Because of all the rain we focused on getting the existing piles of trees burned and clearing out other areas. First we burned existing piles, and even though the ground was still really wet it is amazing how quickly the pile went from a small fire to fully engulfed (pic1) On Friday afternoon we couldn't get the chainsaw to run so we had to stop for the day.

Saturday morning we headed into Rocksprings and purchased a new chainsaw and a ax from Lowes. When we returned to the ranch we couldn't get the brand new one to start either. We pulled and pulled on that **** thing for about 2 hours. While Chad and I messed with the chainsaws the boys decided to use the ax. There was a old dead cedar tree in a clump of oaks that JD and My son decided to work the ax on. The base of the tree was about 8-10" and hard as hell. They worked and worked on it and finally got it to come down! (pic 2) We never got the new chainsaw started but we were finally able to get the old one running and cut out about 50 cedars (pic 3) We stacked and burned those right away. After that we enjoyed a cold one or two that evening by the fire.
This stuff is what memories are made of. Wish my boys could help me out at my place in RS. My oldest is always working and my youngest is off defending our country as a Marine. Enjoy every minute you get with your kids.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #382
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

This is a great build and continuing to follow along. Awesome memories for sure!
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #383
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
This stuff is what memories are made of. Wish my boys could help me out at my place in RS. My oldest is always working and my youngest is off defending our country as a Marine. Enjoy every minute you get with your kids.
You got that right! On August 8th I am moving my son to South Dakota. He got a football scholarship to play QB. We are very proud of him, but it is going to be hard having him so far away. Our nightmare is that he falls in love with a local gal there and never makes it back to Texas full time..... We told him he has to find a girl who wants to move to Texas lol. Time will tell, but as long as hes happy I am good.

Thank your son for his service from us please.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #384
wlee15
Six Point

This Past weekend I went out to the ranch alone again. I was able to get the 2nd bedroom walls completed, so now the entire 1st floor have finished walls. I will not be able to go out again until August 22nd, hopefully this fall I can finally get things wrapped up and move in furniture!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #385
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Dang man it is looking goooooooood!!!
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #386
Gee
Four Point

Going to be awesome
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 10:49 PM   #387
thegrouse
Pope & Young

South Dakota is awesome. Is he going to be a Jackalope? I have several cousins that have graduated. Pheasant hunting is great up there.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #388
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
South Dakota is awesome. Is he going to be a Jackalope? I have several cousins that have graduated. Pheasant hunting is great up there.
He is going to a Tiger at Dakota Wesleyan. I think he is going to love it there, and hopefully I can get a pheasant hunt or two in when I visit and attend games.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #389
Muley1987
Spike

Nice!
Muley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #390
COONHOOD
Six Point

this is awesome! nice work
COONHOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #391
wlee15
Six Point

Since August 22nd I have made 3 straight weekends out to the ranch! We have made much progress.

The weekend of the 22nd My wife and our friends Kyle and Amy came out with me. Kyle and I went on Friday afternoon and the girls were to meet us Saturday morning. On Friday Kyle and I finished the walls in the Loft. On Saturday morning we got the loft windows trimmed out. When the girls arrived they stained the kitchen Cabinets. After that we enjoyed the rest of the weekend just hanging out!

The weekend of August 29th Andy and I went out. We were able to get 1/2 of the ceiling tin installed and the kitchen counter tops installed. We also got the kitchen back splash installed. We pre cut the ceiling tin for the loft. The panels that we used for the ceiling were 16ft long and getting them installed with only 2 people in 14ft tall open living room was very difficult, but we get it done.

Last weekend my wife and I went back. She and I were able to get the remaining ceiling panels installed, and trimmed out the walls along the ceiling and floors. Next we installed the antler chandelier in the living room. I converted it to 12v and connected it the the solar array. It turned out to be way to bright with all 6 bulbs, we ended up unscrewing 3 of them so only 3 illuminate with plenty of light. Next we hung the various mounts I brought from home to decorate the walls. The wife did a great job arranging them, it looks spectacular! Next we mounted the fire alarm, fire extinguisher and the Heater.

We are officially ready for flooring in the cabin!!!!

Work has also began on the deck extension project. My neighbors guys have welded up the new deck and put up the porch roof rafters. this wee they should have that completed (I will just need to install the deck boards and railing) They are also going to skin 3 sides of the Saloon, leaving the front open for me to make the Saloon facade when I am ready. In the mean time it will act as a garage for the can-am and 4 wheeler.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #392
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Awesome progress !!! Love following this thread. Did you insulate the ceiling, just wondering ?
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #393
wlee15
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post
Awesome progress !!! Love following this thread. Did you insulate the ceiling, just wondering ?
I did not add any insulation on the ceiling. If I need to it can be added later pretty easy because the panels are screwed in. I felt like with the metal roof heat is reflected away. And in the winter it really doesn't get cold enough to need to have that insulated to keep in the heat. I could be completely wrong on this and I will know pretty quickly as winter is approaching quickly. If it is an issue adding rigid foam will be pretty easy.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #394
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Outstanding progress!!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #395
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

Wow!
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #396
wlee15
Six Point

We are going this weekend to install new deck boards under the new covered porch on the east side. We will also begin framing out the add on deck and shed on the West side of the cabin.
Will post photos of the progress next week.

Updated Cabin Plan:
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #397
jer_james
Pope & Young

Great to see! Y’all enjoy!
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #398
JMart76
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill country

Looks amazing, hadn’t found the thread till today and man have you made some serious progress! Gonna be living vicariously through you, one day I hope to do something similar.
JMart76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #399
wlee15
Six Point

Well it was a great weekend at the ranch! Last week I purchased all the deck boards for the new larger East side of the cabin porch. I also purchased 31 boxes of 14mm thick laminate flooring grey in color for the inside of the cabin. The goal for this past weekend was to deliver and stack the Laminate flooring inside the cabin, dd gussets and railing on the porch perimeter, install the top 2X6 decking, and work on the framing of the expanded west side deck and storage shed. I am starting to notice that my goals throughout this project have always been far to ambitious for only two people to accomplish, and this weekend was no exception. BUT if you aim high you get more accomplished then you would otherwise.

The last time Andy and I went out the ranch we brought back the 4 wheeler to for repairs. It had been overheating whenever we used it. I was able to get the water system fixed flushed and the oil changed as.

Friday morning we loaded up the 4 wheeler and headed West. We stopped in Kerrville to pick up the 2x6 decking from Lowes then continued on to Rocksprings. (pic 1)

When we got there we had to back the trailer down as close as we could, luck would have it that a portion of a pile of fence boards we have out there was in the way. We had to restack part of it, and in the process we encountered a small rattlesnake. The snake only had 2 rattles and a button, so we could barely hear it rattle and we were only two boards away from grabbing the board it was under. We dispatched him quickly and kept working.

Friday afternoon we worked on completing the framing. My neighbors crew built the porch cover and most of the framing for us, but we wanted to add a few gussets and do the railing to match the from deck railing. So we added gussets around the perimeter and installed the hand rails. I only had 2 sticks of bar for the cross members in the rail but we installed as much as we could. (Pic 2)

Saturday we installed the steps and painted all the lower sections of the framing. (pic3) After it dried we installed the 2x6 decking. (pics 4-6) We moved the outdoor dining table and the temporary grill up as well. (pics 7&8)

Saturday night we enjoyed grilled ribeye's and a few cold ones! Andy decided to sleep out on the new deck that evening, It was too cold for me so I slept in the cabin with the doors and windows closed. I think it is almost light jacket weather.

Sunday we were both sore as heck (sucks being old men doing young men work) We decided to just touch things up, cleaning up the piles of materials and such.

All in all I think we got a lot done. On opening weekend of bow season I will head out with my wife and one of her friends. I will hunt the mornings and work on the flooring in the cabin during the day.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #400
Crouton
Nubbin' Buck

That’s a nice set up you have built. Looks like a lot of fun
Crouton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top