GS parenting question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS parenting question..

So wife took my son to the park today, and 2 year old had his first run in with a bully. Kid was 4, but my son is just as big if not bigger than most 4 yr olds. I have to make sure he's not accidentally hurting other kids because he doesn't realize he's all muscle lol and he still plays like a 2 year old who doesn't realize what he's doing. Well this kid was just being mean and pushing my son down, and of course my son just laughs and tries to play with them. Unlike me at his age he doesnt have a mean bone in his body , looks like he inherited all our best genes and avoided our worst lol.

So how do you handle it? Not a big deal but my son could get hurt if he gets pushed over and falls wrong on the playground, or worse off one of the gaps where they have ladders and poles, etc. Plus i just feel the need to do something haha. it's the softy in me but feel bad seeing my son still innocent enough to not realize they're jerks.
    Do ya give the kid an earful? The parent? Jump up on the playground and scare the crap out of all the kids until they run to their moms asking to go home?

Let kids be kids...they will figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Let kids be kids...they will figure it out.
      This for sure...... ....... We let my kid be a kid and now we're getting sued over a broken collar bone.

Comment

it is only starting.. will be plenty more of them as he starts to grow up. As he gets older you can start teaching him the self preservation lessons. Right now all you can do is step in if it gets too rough.

Comment

let him figure it out, one of the biggest issues with kids/young people today is they have no conflict resolution skills because parents/teachers/etc have taken this out of their hands.

Comment

Same thing with my kid happened the other day. It doesn't help that my kid is 3 and looks 5 but also can't talk yet due to some issues. My heart breaks and I want to step in but when it's minor I have to let somethings happen then step in when I really need to. Hard line to walk and everybody has a different line.

Comment

Unfortunately, there isn't a prescription to cover all situations, since every situation is unique. I have handled this type of situation differently every time it seems.

Comment

As long as there is not a safety issue I try to stay out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FF36 View Post
                  Same thing with my kid happened the other day. It doesn't help that my kid is 3 and looks 5 but also can't talk yet due to some issues. My heart breaks and I want to step in but when it's minor I have to let somethings happen then step in when I really need to. Hard line to walk and everybody has a different line.
                  Yeah thats kind of how it is for him. He can talk, but not great, so he really can't communicate that well, and normally I'm correcting him for being rough because hes bigger than other kids. He learned high fives, then learned hitting when bigger boys were rough with him, but then decided to hit kids his age when he didn't get his way. Now he's afraid to give real high fives because he doesn't want to get in trouble with hitting lol. Want him to figure out stuff but difficult when other parents will jump all in arms if my son beats theirs up like the guy above being sued for a broken collar bone.

Wife handled it well, asked the kid to stop pushing over our son, then the kid ran to his mom saying she "yelled" at him. Sounds like he mom ignored him and they went on doing whatever. Wife let him play awhile then went home.

Comment

My best advice would be not to over react. Be aware and oversee. If you see a crazy line crossed, then step in composed, and with restraint.

Every situation is different. In my opinion the best reaction is measured and calculated. High emotions and over reactions cause negative responses in a lot of situations, and it gets escalated to a point it never needed to go.

Comment

It’s a toUgh deal. I started telling my boy to stand up for himself. He got in trouble at school for shoving someone even though the kid was doing things to him and wouldn’t stop. Then he was afraid to stand up for himself. I told him tell me the truth, and if you are defending yourself I have no problem with It. I tell my boy to loudly tell them stop two times. If they don’t stop tell a teacher or grown up if there’s one around. If none of that works walk away, and if they won’t let you walk away do whatever you have to do. The problem with my boy is he doesn’t like rough playing and doesn’t understand some kids play rougher than he does. He plays baseball and football and doesn’t mind roughhousing then, but other than that he doesn’t like rough play. He doesn’t understand the fact that they are just playing and gets mad. He has a hard time telling the difference between rough playing and bullying. I was the same way as a kid so I understand the way he feels. Ended up fighting a few times when I didn’t need to or shouldn’t have because of this. This is an age old question and there’s no perfect or all encompassing solution, it just sucks trying to navigate through this sue happy world

Comment

Bully

I don’t have tolerance for a bully. I was at my child’s school one day and we were at lunch. There is a bully kid messing with two other kids. He just kept on and on and on. My daughter and I were eating and I couldn’t handle it. I walked around to the opposite table where the boy was siting and put my hand on his shoulder, and told him that I would appreciate it if you stop bullying other kids. The kid just looked at me with freight and I walked away. Probably could a got in trouble but I could not handle it. Good luck

Comment

Don’t be this type of parent

Click image for larger version

Name:	C940B577-D07B-484A-82D6-3B3E79D2D2B1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	24555921

Comment

I have a kid that is high functioning and got messed with a lot. I made him work it out. Now he is more confident and stands up for himself. I didn’t step in ever. He did get hurt feelings, pushed, etc. One day he learned to stand up for himself. He did get thrown out of school for a week. Kids stopped.

Comment

When I told my Dad about a bully at school he told me, "Take care of it son."

I gave the same advice to my son. It works.

Comment

Working...
                              X