What amount of money is life changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
    I am single and debt free and make good $$ but some of these posts seem crazy to me. People stating $5million to be comfortable?? With a measly 3-4%return that is $150,000-200,000k with no draw from principal. My goal is 1.5 m and I will likely be there by 60 (11 years away) and I expect to retire and living comfortably. I am assuming a lot of y’all are wanting to pass on an inheritance to your children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As I was just 13 yrs ago, single. Redo the math with a wife and 8 year old son. That's where it gets interesting and similar to many of us here.

Was married before. 2 incomes. Both climbed the corp ladder. No $ issues. Then single and white collar division pres. No $ issues.

Now a married father with stay at home Wife/Mom.... =$$$$ issues.

Those 2 spend over 50% of my income and the house w/utilities is on my 1/2.
    Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-31-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Just enough to pay off all our debt. We would keep working and put that into savings and monthly living expenses.

Life changing to me would be knowing I wouldn't have to pay the mortgage or car notes, etc etc. Just the thought of knowing if I quit or loose my job we will be just fine is all I need, everything else is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
        I am amazed how many people here state that if they have some millions then there life would be great. Reality is where are you in that pursuit?

Millions of dollars do not just show up or appear suddenly - in most cases accumulating millions takes years of putting money away and living within your means.
        I figured out years ago that I was never going to make millions, so I just decided to live within my means and enjoy a great job and my family. I have a paid off house, but no one here would be impressed (or approve, really). We have two years left on our land, but it's all principal now and less than a truck payment. We have 675,000 miles between my wife's truck and mine, but they've long been paid for. My wife is at home with my seven kids, that's worth ANY material thing. Since I work 10 days/month (give or take) we're free to hunt, fish, travel, etc more than most people (schooling at home helps that). I won't sacrifice what little time I have with all of them trying to obtain bigger/better possessions.

I got a quote for $12K for a driveway, and that would be life-changing. So I'd say $12K.

Comment

$500,000 + for me.
          That amount of money would let me be debt free and work at somthing I like to do instead of something I have to do because it pays "X"

Comment

A lot of interesting responses. I think it is all relative. That more you have or make, the more you tend to spend and the more you can save.

I said 5 million to be life changing not comfortable. I see life changing as not having to work any more. I love what I do for work and enjoy my customers. I don’t know even with a lottery win that I would quit working, probably just change how often I work. I’ve got it pretty good right now. That all being said, I would trade a big windfall for good health for my and my family if given the chance.

Comment

I will say 3 million. It just happens to be 4.22 million in the lotto jackpot tonight!

Comment

I changed my mind. Pay off debt and afford breakfast tacos for the office every morning.

Comment

Working...
                X