Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~ Who has experience with SCENT THIEF scent spray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~ Who has experience with SCENT THIEF scent spray ?

A good friend told me about this SCENT THIEF spray. I did some of my own research and apparently it's been out for a couple years. What they claim to make it diff - is this stuff actually blocks the ABILITY TO SMELL anything, and in turn human scent.
    I have a axis honey hole that I have the hardest time hunting right now just because of the wind BEING WRONG no matter where I put my blind in this small 10 acre property. It's summer,.. so south winds predominant. They ALWAYS come in from the south. I will only be ultimate downwind once the cold arrives. To make matters worse,. it's not just one of 2 axis -- it's avg of 20+ and I've counted over 50 axis racing into the feeder at one sit. All those eyes, ears, and NOSES make for a bust fest for me !
    SOoooooooooooooooo,. .in needing a leg up on the situation -- what's your take on this product ? pros and cons.

My archery shop sells it and they show on the DVD they play for the product how well it works. They hunted hogs and didn't get busted and the hogs were downwind. I think you may be the guinea pig on this one. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally would go with a well sealed blind and use a ozonics to get rid of any scent that leaves the blind. I know Nose Jammer claimed that it blocked the animals ability to smell but I tried it and it didn't work for me. The only thing I've ever used that I can say worked is a ozone machine like the Ozonics.

Comment

move your feeder

Comment

HEY ADAM ! ... long time,... hope all is well with ya. Hmmmmmmmmmmm,... my friend is from the south ( valley area ) and he as well as many he hunts with down that aways have story after story about how the stuff SAVED them from deer when the wind switched, blowing over their backs to the feeder, and the deer never took notice.
          I need something ! I go scent free shower, clothes, spray down - the works. And get whacked about every other time

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
            move your feeder
            can't - it's just 10 acres. I have spent countless time walking that small area but nothing seems to work. This property is at the END OF A CREEK. The deer always come from bedding, cover, food and water from DOWN THE CREEK to this place - the 10 acre feeder set is the end of it.
            ( like a cul-de-sac basically )

Best I can do is get LATERAL to them on the wind drift,.. but even that is sketchy at best,.. wind swirls even then.

Comment

whats a thief smell like and why cant deer smell them?

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                I personally would go with a well sealed blind and use a ozonics to get rid of any scent that leaves the blind. I know Nose Jammer claimed that it blocked the animals ability to smell but I tried it and it didn't work for me. The only thing I've ever used that I can say worked is a ozone machine like the Ozonics.
                Hey what's going on Rob. Hmmmmmmmm,... I've had hunters bring Ozonics thru the years to the ranches I've guided with mixed results. Some swear by it,.. other stories when I would come to get them after the hunt , proved that when the wind switched, the Ozonics did not save them.

Sounds like you've had good luck with it

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
                  Hey what's going on Rob. Hmmmmmmmm,... I've had hunters bring Ozonics thru the years to the ranches I've guided with mixed results. Some swear by it,.. other stories when I would come to get them after the hunt , proved that when the wind switched, the Ozonics did not save them.

Sounds like you've had good luck with it
                  Doing good and I hope you are too. If you don't use the Ozonics right it will not work. I have almost no luck with them if I'm hunting a open air stand(tripod, ladder stand, tree stand). They also don't seam to work good on hogs. I like a closed blind with one window open and then set the ozonics right above the open window. For popup blinds, I like to put the ozonics right on top of the blind in the center. When I hunted South Texas the ozonics worked perfect in blinds, I could hunt any wind and not get busted. I even did some test when I had many deer within 20 yards of me and directly down wind. I would turn the unit off and they all would start getting nervous and then leave, turn the unit back on and in a few minutes most of them would be back feeding. I rarely ever use it any more because I hunt mostly out of tree stands and tripods and they just don't work for me in those stands but when I do hunt out of a ground blind for deer I use it and it works really good.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    Doing good and I hope you are too. If you don't use the Ozonics right it will not work. I have almost no luck with them if I'm hunting a open air stand(tripod, ladder stand, tree stand). They also don't seam to work good on hogs. I like a closed blind with one window open and then set the ozonics right above the open window. For popup blinds, I like to put the ozonics right on top of the blind in the center. When I hunted South Texas the ozonics worked perfect in blinds, I could hunt any wind and not get busted. I even did some test when I had many deer within 20 yards of me and directly down wind. I would turn the unit off and they all would start getting nervous and then leave, turn the unit back on and in a few minutes most of them would be back feeding. I rarely ever use it any more because I hunt mostly out of tree stands and tripods and they just don't work for me in those stands but when I do hunt out of a ground blind for deer I use it and it works really good.
                    BINGO !!!!!! - There it is --- almost 98% of my hunters were in open air tripods, ladders, tree-stands. Blinds are where it's at I do agree with the Ozonnics !
                    --- In the blind I have set up now :
                    • set up at least somewhat parallel wind

any crevices at the bottom where tent wall meets the ground filled in with dirt and leaves

only one shoot window open. All others closed

positioned for the morning hunt where deer are looking back at blind into the sun and I'm in the shade

do not walk ANYWHERE near the feeder when sneaking into the blind for the hunt

positioned my shot window where I can draw behind part of the pop-up wall , and slowly move at full draw to shoot out the open shot window

my chair backed up to the farthest back of pop-up.

Always blacked out

even have THE REMOTE set on the feeder - so if I need a recorn,.. it's all on remote. I don't have to get out and spread scent or be seen doing so as to alert animals.

Comment

cover your scent because nothing prevents a critters nose from smelling

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        cover your scent because nothing prevents a critters nose from smelling

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

Well, there are always exceptions

Comment

I've been using it for 2 years and have been happy with it. Axis Hogs and WT have come in downwind at 15-20 yards. I do sit in a ground blind but I've been busted MANY of times... not since using scent thief. I do think they "smell it" if you will, and I've had some act suspicious of something different, but they didn't bust out.

I can dang sure smell it... but it does kill scent! When the guy at the show put fox **** on a cotton swab(we all know what that smells like) let me smell to make sure it was fox ****. He then placed in freezer bag, sprayed a few squirts of scent theif, zipped it up for a few seconds then asked me to snick my nose in the bag and take a big wiff�� I was very hesitant �� But did it and I **** you not... I couldn't smell the fox ****. I was sold!

Comment

-- UPDATE :
                              With the North wind rotation push that tropical storm Harvey has produced, I knew I had to jump on this rare PERFECT WIND scenario.

This morning I jumped in set as usual, 30 min before sunup and feeder spin. 9 out of 10 times, the axis always come from down wind and to the right a good 70 yards out affording me plenty of time to prepare and get ready for the shot. This time with perfect wind - I was convinced I'd have this hunt in the bag.

The whitetail will come right out at 6:45am, while the axis normally take their time coming 20 min later on avg. I hear crunching almost immediately to my left where I can't see my shot lane and assume it's whitetail -- in seconds all these axis does come bounding in !??!?!! For the first time to my left and ONCE AGAIN DOWN WIND ?!?!?!?

--- However,.. I sprayed down well with that SCENT THIEF. I know they had to cross my path into the blind to get to the feeder. Even worse,.. some are so close to the front of the blind - I know some of my scent could be blowing out the front shot window.

Never once did they freak out , act sketchy or suspect.

5min later on a quarter away shot my arrow found it's mark on a good size doe. Down in 60 yards ( blind is in the pic of her in the grass, under the dark oak in the background )

I plan on hunting the rest of the week until the wind once again changes to south wind-- Keep ya'll updated on the continued use of this product.
                              Sooooooooooooooo far so good,... going out again this evening --- preferable for some head gear !

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X