Gus Engeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling

Heading to Gus Engeling for a youth anterless hunt this weekend. Hopefully my son can get it going. We've been in a couple of hunts there before, but haven't manage to draw blood yet!. Seen deer but never on range!.
    Any last minute tips? anybody else going?

We were thinking of trying to go for standby

Comment

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. My daughter and nephew got drawn for GDE on 11/12 & 11/13. I haven't been in there since the compartments were changed to number.

Comment

Does anyone know how to contact the wma . I want to find out if there is stand by for the nov 1 gun hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston77 View Post
          Does anyone know how to contact the wma . I want to find out if there is stand by for the nov 1 gun hunt.
          Most places wont tell you if there are any standby spots, you just have to show up the day of the hunt and hope.

Comment

Okay what time should I show up on hunt day?

Comment

9039282251 according to the Google machine

Comment

Early

Comment

10:30am.. Drawing at 11:00am.

Comment

At GE you can call ahead to find out.

Comment

I'm here at the gate right now waiting for them to open for the orientation for the rifle hunt. As I was driving up, a young buck was trying to cross the road. It's warm, late morning, and the deer are moving. Good sign!

Comment

Find an oak tree with acorns that has deer sign around it in your unit; also ask the biologist or their helpers where they would hunt or were thay have seen deer or trails or oak trees; they will help if you ask!

Comment

Looking at the draw hunt schedule I just noticed they packed all the hunts at Gus into november? They usually spread it out over nov, dec, and jan, even into feb. They started with the youth hunt saturday and all of november is booked with draw hunts back to back to back... not sure if this will help the success rate by having the hunts during the peak of the rut or hurt with all the pressure.

Comment

I don't think the youth hunt this weekend will hurt anything. The TPWD guy just said that the kids didn't shoot a single deer.

Comment

I'll be up there on the 8th Nov. Kind of curious on what unit I'll get...could be in the woods with max. 25 yard shots or more open areas with more ground to view.

Comment

Working...
                              X