Granger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger

Anyone else hunting Granger 13th through 17th?

Anyone have any tips for someone who hasn't hunted there before? Thread on the old forum had some good info and maps - I should have printed them out.

Granger Info

Go to this link to find out about the area. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...wma/list/?id=9

Go to this link to get a map. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._0112a_709.pdf

Best areas are around gate 7 and the Pecan Grove areas below the dam.

For very useful aerial photos, go to mapquest.com and choose a map for Granger, TX. Then scroll east to over to the lake area and zoom in, then switch from street map to aerial image.

The challenge of Granger is getting around. There is a great trail network, but no motorized vehicles allowed except during the draw hunts. Mountain bikes work well for scouting. The areas get closed for draw hunts, so check the schedule. Also, as it is a WMA, you have to wear the blaze orange (at least while moving around)

Comment

I've also heard the best area in near the dam. Wish I could be more help but never been there, but did talk to some guys about granger on a draw hunt earlier this year. They said it was like an island of prime whitetail habitat, and all the land around the WMA was clear cut cotton fields for as far as the eye could see. They also said the landowners who owned land that adjoined to the WMA were not very friendly to the hunters, in fact he said they hated them.

Comment

Hunted there two yrs ago below the dam. Lots of bucks, passed one that a hunter in the next compartment killed couple days later, scored 122" eight point. Hunt crossings in the creek bottoms, all of the timber in the bottoms is the same so don't waste your time walking all of it. Just find a good crossing and stay there. The deer seem to bed down wherever. Alot of deer are up front towards the dam, they will work that direction in the evenings. I would at least have one stand in the bottoms on a creek crossing and one towards the dam maybe where you can see. Bring couple bags of corn and use it. Hunt late, saw good bucks moving until 10 or 11 couple mornings.

Comment

Dejashoot,
          We are also hunting Granger November 13 - 17th. We are going to camp at the Willis Creek Park. Send me an e-mail regarding what your plans are.

Pnut

Comment

A heads up for Granger hunters.

The warden was out in force @ Granger this past weekend. He was checking out every hunter he could find. Just a heads up for you guys. Make sure all your stamps and licences are in order and with you before you go there. Also, be sure you have your hunter safety certification on you. Expect to encounter the warden if you go to Granger this time of year. When you see him expect to have our coolers searched and your liscences checked.

Comment

BlackDog,

When you say crossings, what are you referring to? Thanks to all for the info.

PNut - email sent.

Comment

Crossings where they cross the creek bottom between compartment b and c (compartments a, b, c are below the dam). The banks are pretty steep in alot of places and there are a couple of major crossings. Hunt late, had that eight point come out at 10:45 two mornings in a row, after everyone had left. Saw a big (130-140") ten late one morning while driving across the dam last Jan..

Comment

We are planning on attending this hunt at Granger Lake November 13-17 as well. We will be staying at Willis Creek, moving in on Sunday the 12th. This will be our first time on this hunt so I have no tips for you. Looking forward to a great week of hunting. Hope to see you there.

Hohlt

Comment

Hohlt, Welcome to the fire. Hope you all of you have great success.

Comment

Any reports so far?

Comment

bump

Comment

Stephen how was the week?

Comment

We had a great week of hunting. The only thing our group killed was a female hog that field dressed 160#. Throughout the week the only things taken were this hog and 2 Spikes. In spite of the extremely windy conditions we saw lots of game and had a great time.

Comment

Great meeting you guys. I missed a 20" 10pt on Friday morning (30 yards). I shot a little high and he ducked me. I was sick over it for three days. Just now getting over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X