Made a Trip to LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a Trip to LBJ Grasslands

On this past Saturday on June 23, I made a the drive up there to scout around a bit. Saw several does with TWINS, 1 horned deer still growing, a ton of rabbits. Every lake was FULL and so were all the feeder creeks. And I mean FULL!.......Higher than I"ve ever seen them before....
    It was a BEAUTIFUL sight!

Wild plums are EVERYWHERE and ripe for the picking! I picked about a gallon to snack on! Wild Grapes are everywhere too but I only saw a few bunches and they still need the rest of the summer to mature.

But the grass is VERY HIGH and GREEN GREEN GREEN.....I haven't seen the Grasslands so lush in quite a few years!

This coming season is going to be a GOOD ONE and I'm jonesing right now to hunt!

I will be there next weekend doing some scouting!!! Thanks for the info.

Comment

was up there a couple of weeks ago and i agree, it was more lush than i have seen it in a while. should be a good season for sure.

Comment

I suggest you carry a plastic bag or bucket to pick the plums with! I mean I have never seen them so lush. I washed about a quart of them today and we're eating them like cherries!

Comment

How's those hunts work? I've been up there about 4 months ago. What all do I need to hunt at LBJ? Thanks!

Comment

LBJ is open USFS area--all you need is the requisite hunting license, archery stamp and you're good to go. You do no specifically need the Type II license but for public lands and other hunting opportunities, it's a wonderful $48.00 investment.
            Also if you hunt migratory birds you must have the proper stamps and endorsements also.
            I highly suggest contacting or visiting the main office on US Hwy 287, north of Decatur to purchase a map of the whole area.
            It is extremely spread out & diverse and the map gives you a better perspective of the sections available to hunt and their locations.

Comment

Working...
            X