Jerky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky Question

I'm going to take a shot this weekend at making a batch of deer jerky for the first time. I have found the marinade I am going to try and the seasoning recipe. My question is do I need to add curing salt or pink salt to the mix since I will be using a dehydrator? My plan is to freeze it in food saver bags after that. Any other tips with a dehydrator will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No sir no curing salt needed. Just marinade and dry. As for tips.. that depends on the drier you have but don't forget to check every couple hours for doneness and you might need to move them around a bit to get even drying. Another thing to remember is when you get close to the consistency you want take them out because they will continue to dry even after you removed them. Don't put them in bags until they are completely cool and even then I only use paper bags. Good luck.
    Last edited by BuckRage; 03-01-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the info. That clears it up.

Comment

I marinade for at least 24 hrs but like to go 48 hrs if possible. When I take them out of the marinade use your hands to "squeegee" off most of the liquid (or it will take forever to dry and may be sticky). You'll need more salt than you think. Most importantly. When they are done don't blink because they'll be gone before you know it lol.

Comment

One more question. Do you re season after drying the marinade off?

Comment

No not at all. After marinading that long those thin slices of meat will absorb a lot of flavor. Thats one reason I like to go 2 days as well. You'd probably never tell the difference between 24 and 48 though. Might just be in my mind but it is my preference. If you reseason again it will probably be over powering. The only thing I DO add after the marinade though is a little pepper (if you like peppery) and/or red pepper flakes.

Comment

last batch I did from an Auodad. I cut mine thick. I like 1/4". I don't like them paper thin and cracker dry lol. I also like them a little chewier so I usually cut with grain but I don't pay to much attention to that. If you want them easier to chew then cut against the grain and slice thin.

Comment

i rotate my drying racks every 2 hours or so

Comment

No curing salt needed. Marinate for a couple hours or overnight. Salt, course black pepper red pepper and garlic after marinade. Cold smoke three days.

Comment

Working...
                  X