Too old to castrate for processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too old to castrate for processing

I have a 1/2 brangus 1/2 wagyu bull 1 yr 2 month old. Was thinking about castrating him now and letting him grow another year to out in get and mabeling. Finish him out next spring on finish out feed. Is he too old to gain the marbleing and weight?

I don't think so just wait till the weather is cooler

Comment

I worked at a vet clinic when I was younger and a guy brought in a 1 yr old bull to get castrated...after that, the vet swore he would never castrate one that old again, and I agreed that was a good idea...not much help, but good luck

Comment

Give him a tetanus, band him, and split the sack down the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
          [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

And wait for a new moon to do it...
            Last edited by Rack Ranch; 08-07-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post

This is a good idea but I’d wait till it cools off a bit and flies die down. He can still be cut, but either way, I’d wait until it cools down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
                This is a good idea but I’d wait till it cools off a bit and flies die down. He can still be cut, but either way, I’d wait until it cools down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No time like the present. It’s a band. They will shrivel in no time. We do thousands year round.

Comment

I’d cut him now without a second thought

Comment

I'd band him now, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                      I have a 1/2 brangus 1/2 wagyu bull 1 yr 2 month old. Was thinking about castrating him now and letting him grow another year to out in get and mabeling. Finish him out next spring on finish out feed. Is he too old to gain the marbleing and weight?
                      I personally would not mess with him. The only steer that has tasted bad/tough meat was one that was cut later in life between 1 and 2. This has been in 2 seperate steers, BIL and FIL. Now they are castrated as soon as possible. Meat has been excellent to say the least.

Comment

Somebody seriously needs to video this process.

Comment

Aggies have been eating wagu beef for years!! They call it calf fry.

Comment

Make sure your bander is big enough if you go that way.

Comment

I’m going to retract my comment as I misread it. I thought you said 1-2 months... now seeing 14 months. Banding isn’t really an option. If I WERE going to ”steer” I’d still cut, and have but you run a little more risk at that size. As far as feed out, in my opinion you have missed the target feeding range enough I would concentrate my efforts and $$$ else where

Comment

Working...
                              X