Flies & cattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flies & cattle

What are y'all doing to help keep the flies off your cows.?

I've tried pour on and sweet pro block.

They seem really bad this year with all the rain.

Plus I know the pour on gets washed off every few days from the rain.

Saber ultra works very well

Comment

My uncle and cousins use the ear tags you get at TSC. Not sure of brand.

Comment

Originally posted by rlwenzel View Post
        Will give this a try.

Thanks

Comment

Nothing, in my opinion, lasts more than a couple of weeks. I've tried just about everything. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone else has had better experience because I hate them dang flies

Comment

At this point I'll pay the price to try the saber ultra. We are over run this year and nothing else has worked.

Comment

We mix Permethrin with diesel and soak rubs down with it and use 2 fly tags per head.

Comment

Can you feed them Sulfur, over time?

Comment

We put out Purina Wind and Rain mineral with fly control. Seems to be knocking em back some.

Comment

This year has been exceptionally rough for parasites.

Comment

Originally posted by rlwenzel View Post
                      Agreed, works very well for us also.

Comment

I've never bought them. But have y'all ever tried the fly predators? I've been curious if they actually work or not.

Comment

1. Get something with IGR in it. It breaks down the life cycle of a fly. IMO the fastest way to get it in thier system is probably the molasses mineral tubs with IGR. http://pf4feed.com/productsigr.html

2. use a Pour on. Sabre is good. It's expensive, but you also dont use near as much product as with a 1% permethrin pour on.

3. Get a back rub. 1% permethrin & diesel mix. A jug of 1% has the mixing instructions on the back.

4. Ear tags. I have never taken the time to put them in my cows ears, but I have put them in calves ears when I worked them. Mainly for ticks.

5. I have seen these paintball guns that shoot insecticide balls at the feed store. I havent used one, or even heard any reviews. But it Looks fun.
                          Last edited by Palmetto; 06-19-2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I recently found some 10% permethin. I'm taking that with a pump up pecticide jug and diluting it down with water. Working good and handy. But, they will get immune to everything. Gotta mix it up from time to time

Comment

Any of your fly control tubs are only as good as your neighbors. Yes it breaks the flies life cycle but on small pastures it will not work unless your neighbors are using it as well. I have no clue how big the pastures are that y'all are dealing with but less than a couple hundred acres from my use will not help much. Saber ultra is cheap on the grand scheme of things and will control almost all external parasites.

Comment

Working...
                              X