• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Edwards

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
      Pics of what? The buck I shot is posted above (post #419) [emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]

Here’s my dads buck though.
      4.5yr old - 140lb live - 9pt - 109+”

I apologize, way out in BFE on a job site... service not so good. Good deer

Comment

Fallow

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post

Heck ya !!! Good eating !!! Congrats to the hunter

Comment

This might be a dumb question but how did all those exotics in that area of Texas end up? It's definitely a target rich environment!

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
            This might be a dumb question but how did all those exotics in that area of Texas end up? It's definitely a target rich environment!
            Somebody who knows more will probably chime in. But I think some of the first ones were brought to the YO. They have escaped high fences and big ranches over time and established populations. We've seen axis, BB, Fallow, aoudad and either an elk or red deer once. Sitting in a stand in that country is like fishing in the ocean. You never know what you'll have a chance at.

Comment

nice deer

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post

Great palms on the fallow!

Comment

Originally posted by Got em View Post
                  Patton- did you just pull the cutters out with pliers?
                  I did a full clean and boil on the skull and pulled all the teeth and tusks out easily with my hands. Did another shorter boil, added some peroxide to whiten it all up, then glued the teeth and tusks back in. I didn’t glue the front tusks as I like being able to pull them out and look at ‘em.

Comment

afishinman- I’m sure the exotics will start to show up. Seems like they are expanding their ranges in every direction, just a matter of time.

That chocolate fallow is awesome! I’ve see a chocolate and a spotted fallow doe and a few pics of a small white buck. Fallow is the one animal I wish would flourish better.

From what I understand, the exotics started first coming over in the 40s and 50s, and most heavily in the 60s and 70s. Overtime they escaped through down fences, floods, released into low fence etc. In a lot of exotic species, there are higher numbers in Texas than their homelands.

The one thing I’m unsure of my thoughts on is an elk being an exotic or a native. Certainly they are recognized as an exotic by the State but weren’t they originally here in a Texas, hunted and killed out, then reintroduced by the big wigs who brought in other exotics. Is that not the same as a reintroduction of a native species(like wolves in some states), and I wonder if there were there any remaining elk in Texas prior to the ‘reintroduction’. Just thinking out loud, I haven’t done enough historical research on Texas elk to know. However I do know that I badly want to shoot one...
                    Last edited by Patton; 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Anybody heading out this weekend ? I know I will b there Thursday night. Hopefully I can get a B day buck this weekend. Good luck for who’s all going !

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
                        Anybody heading out this weekend ? I know I will b there Thursday night. Hopefully I can get a B day buck this weekend. Good luck for who’s all going !

I'll be out near camp wood Thursday morning. My dad saw an 8 pt chasing two doe across a pasture at 5:30 yesterday. Anyone know if the bucks are chasing doe yet anywhere?

Comment

I wasn’t there last weekend, but some of our guys where saying that the small bus is are pushing but the does aren’t having it. Maybe after the cold snap will get the mature bucks bird dogging...

Comment

Made a trip to western Rocksprings this past weekend. Whitetail movement was very good, coming to corn like they have nothing to eat. I did not witness any sign of the rut getting started. All the boys and girls were playing nice. Something that was different was the amount of axis I saw. This is my second year and I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the hoof. I saw 5 groups in just this weekend!! Could this be from the flood?? Has any high fence people lost animals due to damaged fences? I'm not complaining by any means, just curious of why they show up all of a sudden in such numbers. Good luck folks!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
                              Made a trip to western Rocksprings this past weekend. Whitetail movement was very good, coming to corn like they have nothing to eat. I did not witness any sign of the rut getting started. All the boys and girls were playing nice. Something that was different was the amount of axis I saw. This is my second year and I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the hoof. I saw 5 groups in just this weekend!! Could this be from the flood?? Has any high fence people lost animals due to damaged fences? I'm not complaining by any means, just curious of why they show up all of a sudden in such numbers. Good luck folks!!

Yes lots of different exotic animals have gotten loose from down fences due to the flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                                I did a full clean and boil on the skull and pulled all the teeth and tusks out easily with my hands. Did another shorter boil, added some peroxide to whiten it all up, then glued the teeth and tusks back in. I didn’t glue the front tusks as I like being able to pull them out and look at ‘em.
                                Thank you Sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X